WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA | Page 5 | Golden Skate

WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Agree, not. But for different reason, "Russian tax payer" is aware that there are no elections in Russia.

Free elections you mean? But here were are drifting in dangerous directions that conflict with the rules of this board, so better not pursue this theme much further.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
"Quote Originally Posted by Mishaminion View Post
I would be furious if completely innocent athletes were punished for other's deceit."
I would be furious if I was a Russian athlete and my country didn't think I could win based on by abilities and talents. Russian athletes need to step up and demand national compliance with international doping protocols.

Not to mention forcing you to risk your health with their "better sports through chemistry experiments".

Draculus

On the Ice
Best solution for Russia would be to resurrect the periodic nuke tests on Novaya Zemlya.
It may mostly promote better cooperation of Nothern European countries (UK included), but may make all over more flexible for negotiations.
No, they wont do it. Because ppl who can influence such decision have families and those families live in Europe (UK included).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
It is very hard to object your officials if you receive money from exactly the same officials.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you", obviously. Which means the reform must start at the very top. Unlikely to happen, but most of those officials (already having their fortunes safely parked abroad, true patriots as they are) only loose their seat and will probably not even be sentenced to a comfortable luxury jail as symbolic punishment.

It will be interesting to follow the developments of WADA and IOC, and by extension ISU too. And of course the Russian political scene and how the public will be manipulated by the state controlled media.

Most interesting to us are possible implications and repercussions on figure skating. Must we fear for not hearing the skaters singing the national anthem while being decorated with a golden medal outside of Russia?

Or seeing them in competition outside of Russia at all, in retaliation to a blanket ban?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Maybe you should read the wiki more carefully and peruse the website. None of the data for other countries is updated except the Russian section. The social media accounts are all in Russian. BRICS is just an acronym, it is not actual official organization with any charter.

What do you want to discuss about? It is the official BRICS website.

Two weeks ago was held the annual BRICS summit in Brazil. South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa, China's President Xi Jinping, India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Russia's President Vladimir Putin and Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro were there.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-up-to-unilateral-protectionism-idUSKBN1XO2JR
http://infobrics.org/news/summits/

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm pretty sure clean athletes know doping is bad, which is why they don't engage with it themselves. Once again what does WADA expect them to do? Riot? Leave Russia? Will they provide support for that? Or are they just going to wash their hands of it and tell a whole group of athletes that because they happen to be Russian, they can't play professional sports?

My guess is they hope this punishment will stop those who are doping from doing so and stop the Russian Anti-Doping from covering it up.

skatingfan200

Medalist
And she went and competed anyways.

One of the few medalists too.

It´s because she asked for permission to compete. It was unclear at this time if a complete ban happens or not.

Yes, also in her statement she went all-in and demanded to compete under the Russian flag. I think it´s normal, you go in negotiations with the maximum. Did she changed the outcome in Switzerland December 2017? No, she did not. But she was the face for the Russian athletes which was helpful for the Russian side to make their case.

It’s not so much about individual athletes but the state which controls Russian sports. They keep cheating. They have to be punished by excluding all Russian citizens from sports. It has to be done. Because if a clean person makes any kind of mistake or error or dopes the state will seek to cover for them and falsify documents and lie and cheat like with Lysenko.

And now everyone knows doing OAR was a huge mistake and didn’t chnage anything. The state bodies Still support doping in sports
Never understood this argument. I fully support Bach.

“Our principle is that the guilty ones must be punished as hard as possible and the innocent ones must be protected,” Bach said last week in London

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In case my earlier post gets deleted, and I suffer a suspension, I'll make the same point in a more neutral tone:

Perhaps some of us should reconsider our stances regarding any possible suspension of our figure skating favorites.

Ramping up global thermo-nuclear tensions might not be a rational and measured response.

I'm still leaving my more "to the point" post. If it gets deleted, it gets deleted.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My one and only post on this subject.

If the Russian sporting bodies are complicit, and some innocent sports stars are banned/excluded/punished, then the latter should know exactly who to blame, and it isn't the ones who did the punishing.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Folks, feel free to discuss the statement made by WADA, but do not bash countries.

Keep the politics out!

Last edited:

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia

So then if would be a good thing to indefinitely ban Russia and Russians from all sports. It’s time to do that.

Well, you can easily solve this for yourself. Just insert the word "Russian" in your global ignore list. This should help.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think overreactions to this situation are the the biggest contributors to hindering productive solutions and even discussions on the matter. I think it’s hard to imagine that during the GP athletes from all countries wouldn’t take comprehensive and adequate testing and most importantly records of such test results should exist. These should absolutely matter and need to be taken into consideration.

To me banning all athletes including clean athletes is as big of an overreaction as ignoring the situation altogether. Both are unsatisfactory IMO. WADA needs to find a way to be involved in Russian sports as opposed to shutting them out and icing communication and complicating involvement further. There are many ways to achieve and encourage better cooperation and involvement that I think would be far more productive for Russian athletes which IMO should be the main objective of WADA. To me the more tIme WADA spends flexing muscle the more it honestly looks like they have no real control or ability to create viable solutions.

Also not a fan of the stories surfacing over the last few weeks of WADA hiring lobbyists in Washington DC. I think it absolutely affects the way some may view their impartiality.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To me banning all athletes including clean athletes is as big of an overreaction as ignoring the situation altogether. Both are unsatisfactory IMO. WADA needs to find a way to be involved in Russian sports as opposed to shutting them out and icing communication and complicating involvement further. There are many ways to achieve and encourage better cooperation and involvement that I think would be far more productive for Russian athletes which IMO should be the main objective of WADA. To me the more tIme WADA spends flexing muscle the more it honestly looks like they have no real control or ability to create viable solutions.
When you're dealing with a party that has consistently acted in bad faith, it's very difficult to "cooperate" with them. WADA's ultimate goal is fair competitions, so it's unfair to the rest of the world to not take strong measures against a governing body that is not playing by the rules.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Also not a fan of the stories surfacing over the last few weeks of WADA hiring lobbyists in Washington DC. I think it absolutely affects the way some may view their impartiality.

Do you know the details of the controversy? It is about the bill known as the Rodchenkov Act. The IOC and WADA criticize the bill:

There is no doubt, however, that there are major fears within WADA and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on the potential impact of the Act.

There is also some anger that the US would consider passing an Act that could criminalise international athletes when professional sports in America like the National Football League, National Basketball Association and National Hockey League refuse to sign up to the World Anti-Doping Code.

"We think the terms of the act which encourage transfer of information and many other aspects would benefit sport in the United States," WADA President Sir Craig Reedie said.

"The area which is troublesome is that American jurisdiction would go beyond the United States and it might create a liability in other parts of the world.

"I understand it would not cover the professional leagues in the United States because they are not WADA-Code compliant.

"If that is the situation that is unfortunate and I am not very happy with it."

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1086790/wada-opinion-split-over-rodchenkov-act

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think overreactions to this situation are the the biggest contributors to hindering productive solutions and even discussions on the matter. I think it’s hard to imagine that during the GP athletes from all countries wouldn’t take comprehensive and adequate testing and most importantly records of such test results should exist. These should absolutely matter and need to be taken into consideration.

But the Russian athletes come from a country where they cover up and facilitate charting like with Lysenko. So if one Russian skater did cheat they would have the support of the sports institutions of Russia

thedude

On the Ice
I almost admire the dedication it takes to defend Russia's doping program. Whataboutism, false equivalencies, questioning the character of the whistle blower, conspiracy theories - the list goes on an on.

When you don't have facts to make a counter argument , change the subject and argue about everything else. Classic defense of the guilty.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Stay on topic

We understand that this is a difficult topic for many. Given that we have many wonderful Russian members in this community, we were hoping that the masses would be able to present their opinions and debates in a sensitive and mature manner without making degrading remarks, innuendos, etc. about Russia or other countries.

Please be aware that moving forward, all posts that contain negative, sarcastic, or uninformative remarks will be removed without notice and posters will receive warnings and/or infractions.

We ask that you focus on the content of the statement - not make your own.

Below is the Official Press Release from WADA for your convenience.

WADA Compliance Review Committee recommends series of strong consequences for RUSADA non-compliance

WADA Executive Committee to consider recommendation and proposed consequences on 9 December
Having considered a report from the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA’s) Intelligence and Investigations Department (I&I) and independent forensic experts, WADA’s independent Compliance Review Committee (CRC) has recommended to WADA’s Executive Committee (ExCo) that the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) be declared non-compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code (Code), as announced by WADA on 22 November 2019. This recommendation is accompanied by strong proposed consequences and conditions of reinstatement.
The CRC’s recommendation was delivered to the ExCo in accordance with the agreed process under the International Standard for Code Compliance by Signatories (ISCCS). Because the contents of the document have since appeared in part in the media, WADA is now making the following details of the CRC recommendation public. The ExCo will consider the recommendation at a specially convened meeting in Paris on 9 December 2019.
CRC recommendation in relation to non-compliance with data requirement
The 26-page CRC recommendation, which is signed by CRC Chair, Jonathan Taylor QC, reminds the ExCo that as part of the 20 September 2018 decision to reinstate RUSADA to the list of Code-compliant Signatories, “WADA’s ExCo deemed the requirement to provide an authentic copy of the Moscow Data to be 'Critical' because:

1. it would enable the anti-doping community finally to resolve and draw a line under the allegations of a systematic conspiracy to dope Russian athletes;
  2. it would ensure that any Russian athletes who had tested positive could be punished; and
  3. just as importantly it would ensure that innocent Russian athletes could be cleared of suspicion.”
The WADA I&I report was based in particular on a forensic review of inconsistencies found in some of the data that were obtained by WADA from the Moscow Laboratory in January 2019. Following WADA’s decision on 17 September 2019 to open a formal compliance procedure against RUSADA, this review also included consideration of responses from the Russian authorities to a list of detailed and technical questions raised by WADA I&I and the independent forensic experts.
Based on the reports issued by WADA I&I and the experts at the conclusion of their review, the CRC determined that:

• The Moscow data are neither complete nor fully authentic. In particular, while the 2019 copy of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) database matches in many respects the 2015 copy of the LIMS database provided to WADA by a whistleblower in 2017, hundreds of presumptive adverse analytical findings that appear in the 2015 copy of the LIMS database have been removed from the 2019 copy, and the related underlying raw data and PDF files have been deleted or altered.
  • Some of the presumptive positive findings and related evidence were removed in 2016 or 2017, after the general scheme to cover up the doping of Russian athletes was first revealed by Dr Rodchenkov and then quickly confirmed by Prof. Richard McLaren's investigation (Part 1 and Part 2). However, further significant deletions and/or alterations were made in December 2018 and January 2019 (i.e., after the WADA ExCo imposed the data requirement). These activities were concealed by back-dating of computer systems and data files in an attempt to make it appear that the Moscow data had been in their current state since 2015. Furthermore, the commands issued to execute the manipulations, deletions and back-dating were also deleted, in an attempt to avoid detection of what had been done.
  • In addition, on or after 25 November 2018 (i.e., again, after the data requirement was imposed), but before 10 January 2019 (i.e., before the Moscow data were made available to the WADA team), someone in the Moscow Laboratory:

- planted fabricated evidence into the LIMS database (purported messages between laboratory staff members) to support the argument now being advanced by the Russian authorities that it was Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov and two co-conspirators who falsified entries in the Moscow LIMS database as part of a scheme to extort money from athletes; and

- deleted from the LIMS database important evidence proving that another laboratory staff member was involved in the cover-up of doping by Russian athletes in 2014 and 2015. That staff member is currently an important witness for the Russian side in several cases, in which he denies there was any conspiracy to protect Russian athletes from exposure for doping, and calls Dr. Rodchenkov a liar.
The CRC concluded that this is “an extremely serious case of non-compliance with the requirement to provide an authentic copy of the Moscow data, with several aggravating features”.
CRC recommendation in relation to consequences (abridged)
The CRC has therefore recommended that WADA send a formal notice to RUSADA, asserting non-compliance with the requirement to provide an authentic copy of the Moscow data, and proposing the following consequences, to come into effect on the date on which the decision that RUSADA is non-compliant becomes final and to remain in effect until the fourth anniversary of that date (‘the Four Year Period’):

• Russian Government officials/representatives may not be appointed to sit and may not sit as members of the boards or committees or any other bodies of any Code Signatory (or its members) or association of Signatories.
  • Russian Government officials/representatives may not participate in or attend any of the following events held in the Four Year Period: (a) the Youth Olympic Games (summer and winter); (b) the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (summer and winter); (c) any other event organized by a Major Event Organisation; and (d) any World Championships organized or sanctioned by any Signatory (together, the Major Events).
  • Russia may not host in the Four Year Period, or bid for or be granted in the Four Year Period, the right to host (whether during or after the Four Year Period) any editions of the Major Events.
  • Where the right to host a Major Event in the Four Year Period has already been awarded to Russia, the Signatory must withdraw that right and re-assign the event to another country, unless it is legally or practically impossible to do so. In addition, Russia may not bid for the right to host the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, irrespective of whether the bidding takes place during or after the Four Year Period.
  • Russia’s flag may not be flown at any Major Event staged in the Four Year Period.
  • Neither the President, the Secretary-General, the CEO, nor any member of the Executive Board/Governing Board of either the Russian Olympic Committee or the Russian Paralympic Committee may participate in or attend any Major Event staged in the Four Year Period.
  • Russian athletes and their support personnel may only participate in Major Events staged in the Four Year Period where they are able to demonstrate that they are not implicated in any way by the non-compliance (i.e., they are not mentioned in incriminating circumstances in the McLaren reports, there are no positive findings reported for them in the database, and no data relating to their samples has been manipulated), in accordance with strict conditions to be defined by WADA (or the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), if it sees fit), pursuant to the mechanism foreseen in ISCCS Article 11.2.6. In this circumstance, they may not represent the Russian Federation.
  • Given the aggravating factors that are present in this case, RUSADA must pay all WADA’s costs on this file incurred since January 2019 and, in addition, a fine to WADA of 10% of its 2019 income or USD 100,000 (whichever is lower). This is the maximum fine available under the rules.
CRC recommendation concerning RUSADA’s operations
The CRC recommendation states that “the evidence (including from WADA's recent audits of RUSADA's operations) indicates that RUSADA’s work is effective in contributing to the fight against doping in Russian sport, and that it is working productively in cooperation with other Anti-Doping Organizations, including in investigations within Russia. Therefore, the CRC does not recommend any special monitoring or supervision or takeover of RUSADA's anti-doping activities in the Four Year Period.”
However, one of the conditions of reinstatement is that WADA Management remains satisfied throughout the Four Year Period that RUSADA’s independence is being respected and there is no improper outside interference with its operations.
Next steps
On 9 December 2019, WADA’s ExCo will meet to discuss the CRC’s recommendation. If the ExCo accepts the recommendation, formal notice will be sent to RUSADA, alleging non-compliance and proposing the above consequences, in accordance with the Code. RUSADA will have 21 days to accept the notice. If RUSADA does not accept it, the matter will be referred to CAS. If CAS imposes the proposed consequences, they will be binding and must be recognized and enforced by all Signatories.