WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA | Page 7 | Golden Skate

WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Wow, what?
They spend their own money (parents') as kids and only get financing at a later stage of their careers.
And even if they get state money, how does that make them guilty?
They are part of the system within their country, they can't escape that.
Innocent ones, however, are NOT part of any doping schemes, hence, they shouldn't be prosecuted.
As far as I remember, there are not that many private sport schools in Russia. And later kids not only get financing but also very powerful federation behind them. That is why not so many Russian skaters decide to switch countries. As it's not easy to train without financial support of country or sport club. And it's more difficult to rise when you a skater from small federation.

If a group of students cheated in your class for the final exam, but you studied and worked hard and did everything yourself, would it be fair for you to be punished equivalently to them, although you did nothing wrong?
Say if the punishment is getting excluded from university after completing all your classes of 3-4 years, and they decide to exclude the whole class, is that the fair thing to do?
If I knew that that will cheat and still did nothing, then it's ok. Ignoring a problem is also a crime.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
The only thing I can say on this topic is that if there are repercussions, I wish they could come up with a different punishment than making athletes hide their nationality in order to compete. I fully sympathise with people who love their country, and I don't consider an anthem and a banner accountable for the crimes of the current governments/sports authorities.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here's the thing. What WADA did ahead of Pyeongchang was nothing short of unconscionable. There were athletes still having CAS hearings, not knowing if they would be allowed to compete, the week before the Games. As I recall, there were still CAS cases going on just a few days before the Opening Ceremony. That's ridiculous. WADA left it so last-minute that it turned into an even bigger shambles.

It was also unconscionable because it seemed they had absolute power and discretion to just say "No. You're not invited." and even if the athlete wasn't even in Sochi, had never had a questionable test or even a speck of anything on their record, they had no recourse. And WADA didn't even have the decency to tell them why. That's - there are no excuses for that. That was disgraceful. That is beyond unconscionable. They had the absolute power to destroy an athlete's dream and they didn't even have to tell them why!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Here's the thing. What WADA did ahead of Pyeongchang was nothing short of unconscionable. There were athletes still having CAS hearings, not knowing if they would be allowed to compete, the week before the Games. As I recall, there were still CAS cases going on just a few days before the Opening Ceremony. That's ridiculous. WADA left it so last-minute that it turned into an even bigger shambles.

It was also unconscionable because it seemed they had absolute power and discretion to just say "No. You're not invited." and even if the athlete wasn't even in Sochi, had never had a questionable test or even a speck of anything on their record, they had no recourse. And WADA didn't even have the decency to tell them why. That's - there are no excuses for that. That was disgraceful. That is beyond unconscionable. They had the absolute power to destroy an athlete's dream and they didn't even have to tell them why!
The macro reason was known to all. the leadership of Russia protects dopers

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Today is the day of WADA meeting and deciding over Russia's participation in major sporting events. The council is probably in session now, and any communiqués are likely to be made public late this afternoon.
https://www.wada-ama.org/en/events/2019-12/wada-executive-committee-meeting
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1087970/wada-executive-committee-meeting
https://www.france24.com/en/20191209-russia-to-discover-sporting-fate-as-wada-meets
https://www.afp.com/en/news/3955/what-four-year-doping-ban-would-mean-russia-doc-1mw31z2

Governing bodies taking sides:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wa...omplete-ban-on-russian-olympic-participation/

If one considers the whole doping scandal as politically motivated, does WADA really want to decide over punishing a countries' internal politics (and by extension, its rulers)?

Is there a live blog available?
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/russiateam/2655988.html

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Today is the day of WADA meeting and deciding over Russia's participation in major sporting events. The council is probably in session now, and any communiqués are likely to be made public late this afternoon.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1087970/wada-executive-committee-meeting

If one considers the whole doping scandal as politically motivated, does WADA really want to decide over punishing a countries' internal politics (and by extension, its rulers)?

Is there a live blog available?

Of course there are vast numbers of people who don't consider this as politically motivated at all, but rather yet another attempt to insure sports remain untainted from systemic cheating.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course there are vast numbers of people who don't consider this as politically motivated at all, but rather yet another attempt to insure sports remain untainted from systemic cheating.

One does not preclude the other. I have no doubt there are plenty who want to ensure sports remain untainted. Just as I also have no doubt there are plenty of people who just want to make sure Russia can't come for reasons that have nothing to do with sport. Just as I'm sure some of the athletes that signed that petition just wanted to make sure Russian rivals were not allowed to compete.

While Justin Gatlin will race for the USA, while Sun Yang will race for China, while actually convicted dopers who returned positive tests (and sometimes multiple positive tests) are allowed to compete, I hold it unconscionable that innocent Russian athletes should be banned.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Russia will appeal to CAS within 21 days, where the final ruling will be made.

What will that bring, apart from lots of money to expensive law firms?

CAS is unlikely to rule a political decision.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
One does not preclude the other. I have no doubt there are plenty who want to ensure sports remain untainted. Just as I also have no doubt there are plenty of people who just want to make sure Russia can't come for reasons that have nothing to do with sport. Just as I'm sure some of the athletes that signed that petition just wanted to make sure Russian rivals were not allowed to compete.

While Justin Gatlin will race for the USA, while Sun Yang will race for China, while actually convicted dopers who returned positive tests (and sometimes multiple positive tests) are allowed to compete, I hold it unconscionable that innocent Russian athletes should be banned.

And it looks like the innocent athletes will be able to compete under a neutral flag. Frankly while I think the sport as a whole would benefit exponentially if every athlete competed individually, that is not going to happen. But when a government orchestrates a systemic doping program, then alters the data afterward, they should be banned. And I don't give a damn if it's Russia or the United States or the mythical land of Atlantis.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And it looks like the innocent athletes will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Yeah? Tell that to Stepanova and Bukin. Tell that to Stolbova. They gave us this line before Korea, too. And it turned out to be garbage.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
This politically driven decision was expected. But we already had this situation. If the nonsense of not letting compete without explanations athlets like S/K and S/B does not repeat we could swallow it yet another time. Everyone knows that Alina is the Olympic champion and Russia won silver in the team event. Russia or "Olympic athletes from Russia" is the secondary factor. They can sing the anthem later.

But these guys are so petty.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This politically driven decision was expected. But we already had this situation. If the nonsense of not letting compete without explanations athlets like S/K and S/B does not repeat we could swallow it yet another time. Everyone knows that Alina is the Olympic champion and Russia won silver in the team event. Russia or "Olympic athletes from Russia" is the secondary factor. They can sing the anthem later.

But these guys are so petty.

I agree it would be far better if there was actual transparency related to bans, etc. For one thing, it would put a halt to political conspiracy theories. Or at the very very least one could hope it would.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Russian politicians and mass media will bend the ruling for their own purposes and gain.

The general populace is very unlikely to demand punishment of, or vote out, the perpetrators at the root of this scandal, very high government officials.

So nothing will really chance, but the sentiments will be spoiled and turn sour.

How will this affect ISU? No Russian governing board members, no RUS officials, tech callers and judges?

Bcash

Final Flight
Yeah? Tell that to Stepanova and Bukin. Tell that to Stolbova. They gave us this line before Korea, too. And it turned out to be garbage.

Were they able to prove they were not “tainted” by the doping scandal? That was the requirement too IIRC. If not I don’t see the source of outrage on their behalf.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Were they able to prove they were not “tainted” by the doping scandal? That was the requirement too IIRC. If not I don’t see the source of outrage on their behalf.

They had no tests that were even questionable, and Bukin wasn't in Sochi. Their names didn't appear in any lists. And WADA didn't even tell them why they were banned.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
What about WADA's list of 'unclean' athletes, is this a public list? If not, where is the needed transparency?

WADA took its decision unanimously, what chances are there of it being overturned in CAS? Or is Russia aiming for delays in the final verdict, so it can still compete under its flag after Jan 1, 2020 till the day of verdict, (which could be years if individual athletes and/or governing bodies appeal by themselves)?

2020 Winter YOG will be held before CAS is able to rule over the appeal, so it most likely will have Russian young athletes competing under their own flag. Perhaps even 2020 Figure Skating World Championships in Montreal?

pearly

Record Breaker
Stepanova and Bukin, as well as some fans, know very well why they were banned. The Russian Federation knows that as well. It wasn't exactly their fault, but they know what happened.