Is the tongue of the Piano stiffer than that of the Ice Fly? | Golden Skate

Is the tongue of the Piano stiffer than that of the Ice Fly?

christy

On the Ice
Just wondering, for those people who've tried both the Piano and Ice Fly would you say the tongue of the Piano was stiffer than that of the Ice Fly? And if so, just a bit or quite a lot?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just wondering, for those people who've tried both the Piano and Ice Fly would you say the tongue of the Piano was stiffer than that of the Ice Fly? And if so, just a bit or quite a lot?

Yes. It depends on how significant it would be for you. Ice Fly is rated 90 stiffness and Piano is 95.

The question is more: Do you really need ice fly or piano? Those are for triples and quads.

christy

On the Ice
Need, honestly no, but currently have Ice Flies and didn't have any issues with the stiffness or breaking them in, probably because I'm heavy!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Need, honestly no, but currently have Ice Flies and didn't have any issues with the stiffness or breaking them in, probably because I'm heavy!

Then for that reason, Piano tongue and break in should be ok for you. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Great, Thanks. I was just a bit concerned because I know they are that bit stiffer, and as I said I'm definitely not at the triples / quads level. I like the idea of the shock absorption, and from comparing them side by side the Pianos seem to be a little bit wider which would work better for me, but the tongue did feel stiffer, hence the question.

You're welcome. Yes, they are stiffer than the ice fly and honestly if you aren't wearing them for the skills they are intended for they are definitely going to be noticeably stiffer and how long it takes you to break those down is going to greatly vary and also how long it takes you to feel comfortable with the stiffness of the boot and the tongue.

When I trialed a pair I broke them down quickly, but I'm used to strong, stiff leather boots and I'm a powerful jumper (triple triples). So what works or doesn't work for me or someone like Nagasu doing 3A's in them or one of the Russian ladies doing quads.

If you feel like they may work, try them. I only suggest this based on your specific situation. I normally would not tell a lower level skater to get ice flys or piano otherwise.

Good luck!:cool:

Nimyue

On the Ice
Just out of curiosity, for an adult doing doubles, which Edea would be recommended?

I think a lot of people get the Ice Fly because it is significantly more comfortable than any of the models with a lower stiffness.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just out of curiosity, for an adult doing doubles, which Edea would be recommended?

I think a lot of people get the Ice Fly because it is significantly more comfortable than any of the models with a lower stiffness.

Chorus is rated for doubles, you could get away with the Concerto though even though it's rated for triples, depending on your weight since you are adult.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Chorus is rated for doubles, you could get away with the Concerto though even though it's rated for triples, depending on your weight since you are adult.

A good friend of mine has the Concertos and hates them, which is why she's switching to the Ice Fly. Everyone I talk to who wears Edea notices a big difference in the comfort between the two. I haven't tried either of them, so it's all hearsay to me ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A good friend of mine has the Concertos and hates them, which is why she's switching to the Ice Fly. Everyone I talk to who wears Edea notices a big difference in the comfort between the two. I haven't tried either of them, so it's all hearsay to me ;)

If you want me to be honest, alot of people choose ice fly to say they have ice flys. I've tried Concerto, Ice Fly and Piano and honestly hated them all and saw no difference other than stiffness.

To each their own.

sk8r4ever

On the Ice
I wonder why most jump straight from a lower level boot like Chorus to Ice Fly/ Piano, Concerto doesn’t seem to be very popular?

Elija

On the Ice
I wonder why most jump straight from a lower level boot like Chorus to Ice Fly/ Piano, Concerto doesn’t seem to be very popular?

I’m one if those who went from chorus to ice fly. I haven’t tried concerto because i heard it was similar to chorus but a lot stiffer, and i didn’t like the way chorus fit. Can’t say from personal life experience, but I have also heard that some people find ice flys less stiff than concerto due to concerto being built more like a ‘traditional’ boot with less padding (i guess why a lot of pairs skaters wear them). Ice flys are definitely super comfy, when i put it next to my chorus the boot is quite noticeably longer due to the extra padding, but the insoles are the same size.

I hear a lot that people choose ice flys cause they’re cool or whatever - that wasn’t my case. I chose them cause i found them really comfortable and fit my foot well. I think this is why a lotnof people like them. I also wanted something stiffer that the chorus (which have a very soft tongue in comparison and i don’t think are stiff enough for adults who are doing jumps with any significant height).

I’m interested to try pianos in the future due to the heel lock and shock absorbing they apparently have (i have old knee injuries and very narrow heels so both these features are appealing). Curious to hear how others who switched from ice fly to piano found them!