New Boots as a Returning Skater | Golden Skate

New Boots as a Returning Skater

danielleadb

Spectator
Hi all! :)

So I've posted on here recently about my backstory as doing competitive figure skating as a child, and when I was 12/13, I had terrible boots and awful pain that eventually lead me to quitting skating. I have always missed it so much, and long to skate again. I'm looking into getting new skates now that I know the problem with mine (too narrow for my feet), but I have no idea what stiffness I should get at this point.

When I quit, I had my singles (lutz was a bit questionable but my coach figured I 'had it' enough to learn new skills), and was just beginning to start the axel and some doubles (toe loop and salchow were in the works). It's been 5 years since I quit and did anything other than public skating, and I have yet to try any jumps or spins as my local rink is very strict about not allowing any spins/jumps during public free skate, and also, I can't be on the ice more than 10 minutes with my old boots. That being said, I feel very comfortable and balanced when I do skate, and my edges still feel pretty solid to me.

For context I'm 17 and around 5'5"/5'6", and I am not longer very 'athletic.' I haven't done any serious sports since skating, although I do lift weights at the gym. This, however, doesn't exactly give me the classic lithe figure skater body, and I'm around 130/140lbs and curvier than I am lean. I'd say I'm in relatively good shape, but definitely not in the position to land any major jumps after this long of a break.

My problem is mainly that I'm not sure what sort of boots to get. I would love to get back all of my spins, and I do intend to do multiple group lessons/private lessons a week, and eventually if it's possible, I'd even like to compete. I don't want to overboot, but at this point, since I doubt I can land much at all, what would be considered overbooting? Does anyone have any idea how long it might take to regain my jumps? I don't want to buy a super soft boot and regain my jumps in a month, but I also am wary of having my expectations of bouncing back super high and thus end up overbooting with my new skates.

Any help here would be great. Thank you :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Based on the information you’ve given above, it’s a bit hard for anyone here to say.

First, you say you know now the boots were too narrow, but how do you know that? And do you know if you were in the right boot make for your foot (ie Riedell, Jackson etc) but just the wrong size, or were you in completely the wrong boot? Second, what skills can you currently do? Can you stroke properly, do edges, do crossovers and basic turns like 3-turns and Mohawks? Third, what boots are you wearing at public skates - rentals? What can you do in them? Fourth, what level classes were you planning on signing up for - basic skills? Finally, have you talked to the skating director at your rink or identified a private coach?

My suggestion would be that if you can do basic stuff like stroking and crossovers in rental skates or your old boots for half an hour at a time, you wait until you start lessons, see how things progress in the first few weeks, talk to your coach/instructor and then go to a good fitter and order your boots and blades. Although you’ll probably progress pretty quickly, you’re going to have to build back up to taking multiple classes and spending a ton of hours on the ice - and you’re unlikely to start out jumping and spinning on day one. Especially if you want to compete, you need to make sure your basics are in shape.

Good luck.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all! :)

So I've posted on here recently about my backstory as doing competitive figure skating as a child, and when I was 12/13, I had terrible boots and awful pain that eventually lead me to quitting skating. I have always missed it so much, and long to skate again. I'm looking into getting new skates now that I know the problem with mine (too narrow for my feet), but I have no idea what stiffness I should get at this point.

When I quit, I had my singles (lutz was a bit questionable but my coach figured I 'had it' enough to learn new skills), and was just beginning to start the axel and some doubles (toe loop and salchow were in the works). It's been 5 years since I quit and did anything other than public skating, and I have yet to try any jumps or spins as my local rink is very strict about not allowing any spins/jumps during public free skate, and also, I can't be on the ice more than 10 minutes with my old boots. That being said, I feel very comfortable and balanced when I do skate, and my edges still feel pretty solid to me.

For context I'm 17 and around 5'5"/5'6", and I am not longer very 'athletic.' I haven't done any serious sports since skating, although I do lift weights at the gym. This, however, doesn't exactly give me the classic lithe figure skater body, and I'm around 130/140lbs and curvier than I am lean. I'd say I'm in relatively good shape, but definitely not in the position to land any major jumps after this long of a break.

My problem is mainly that I'm not sure what sort of boots to get. I would love to get back all of my spins, and I do intend to do multiple group lessons/private lessons a week, and eventually if it's possible, I'd even like to compete. I don't want to overboot, but at this point, since I doubt I can land much at all, what would be considered overbooting? Does anyone have any idea how long it might take to regain my jumps? I don't want to buy a super soft boot and regain my jumps in a month, but I also am wary of having my expectations of bouncing back super high and thus end up overbooting with my new skates.

Any help here would be great. Thank you :)

I swear I answered you about this on the other thread. So why the new one rehashing backstory again? :scratch2:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?83780-Awful-Arch-Pain-with-Jackson-Boots

ETA: since you posted in this thread what jumps you can do and are working on and your height/weight: You can look at the Premier Fusion 2800 as I suggested in the other thread, or even look at Elite 5200. I only say the latter because you are an adult and gave height/weight, and it would lead you to have the boots longer. You will need a blade: Suggestions MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace.

Good luck!