When to start training 2A? | Golden Skate

When to start training 2A?

Juliesk8

Spectator
I am a 20YO skater with a few doubles.
My 1A, 2S, 2T and 2F are quite strong, but the other ones are a bit shaky/under-rotated.
I have 3 coaches. Recently coach A said I should try training the 2A because it's good to start early, especially when it's a difficult jump.
Coach B said I should learn the jumps in sequence, i.e. get 2loop and 2lutz consistent before learning 2A.
Coach C said it is too late to learn it and I may never get it.
They teach at different rinks and do not really communicate with each other so I am confused as to what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since we can't see your jumps, my reply is based on assuming that your technique is correct, strong, and the jumps you have are good.

I do not believe that 20 is too late to learn a double axel or triple jumps. If Coach C believes that, I'd say "bye-bye" and put my money toward extra lessons with one of your other coaches.

The pivotal jump for getting that 2A will be the double loop so you should really concentrate on getting that jump solid. Then you could work on the 2Lutz and 2A.
If Coach A thinks you're ready to try the 2A, I don't see any harm in attempting it, but you really should spend time getting that 2Loop.

Good luck!!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
My 1A, 2S, 2T and 2F are quite strong, but the other ones are a bit shaky/under-rotated.
I have 3 coaches. Recently coach A said I should try training the 2A because it's good to start early, especially when it's a difficult jump.
Coach B said I should learn the jumps in sequence, i.e. get 2loop and 2lutz consistent before learning 2A.
They teach at different rinks and do not really communicate with each other so I am confused as to what to do.

I'd say Coach B stuff off [emoji13]
20 is not two late to start learning difficult jumps, I say go for it! But I do think on the ice work on your 2Lo and 2Lz before going for the 2A, however off the ice you should start training the 2A as it will help with your overall rotation on all your doubles
Hope this helped
Good luck!

Nimyue

On the Ice
The pivotal jump for getting that 2A will be the double loop so you should really concentrate on getting that jump solid. Then you could work on the 2Lutz and 2A.
If Coach A thinks you're ready to try the 2A, I don't see any harm in attempting it, but you really should spend time getting that 2Loop.

Good luck!!

This! And I also super agree to ditch Coach C. There are two ladies I skate with in their late 20s learning 2A. One of them has started landing it consistently in the past month.

VegMom

On the Ice

OK so I don't have any advice except that what you're experiencing is a big thing in figure skating: every coach has a different approach, different ideas, different beliefs. Lol
Personally, if I were you and I wanted to learn it, I would try now. But I'd also be very careful because you can really hurt yourself badly on those bigger jumps.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

First of all, why do you have 3 different coaches? Also, are you a stronger edge or toe jumper?

Secondly, we can't see your jumps, but if they are properly done and strongly, I would say decided between coach A or B and go from there. I'd dump Coach C as fast as possible.

Lastly, Coach B needs to have some give on the learning in sequence thing. yes, it would be ideal, but it doesn't happen that way with everyone.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada

If your axel is strong and you have good technique and you think you can get enough height and rotation to do a 2A then train it. It has nothing to do with you having all your double jumps. there are skaters that have landed a 4S before they have done a 3A.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
If your axel is strong and you have good technique and you think you can get enough height and rotation to do a 2A then train it. It has nothing to do with you having all your double jumps. there are skaters that have landed a 4S before they have done a 3A.
And skaters who have landed 4Lz before 3A too (like Trusova)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, Coach C is a little ray of sunshine...! :noshake: I'd be discontinuing the services of him/her for sure. You should NEVER steal somebody's dream like that. Ever. Even if privately you think they don't have much hope of achieving it, you should never say that. You come up with a plan to work towards it, and then the dreamer either gets there or realises it isn't going to happen but at least they tried.

My advice would be to start training it with Coach A. Definitely work hard on Double Loop (which will hopefully keep Coach B happy) and also work on your off-ice jumps for rotation.

I also wonder why you have 3 coaches at 3 different rinks...? Too many cooks can definitely spoil the broth, as the old saying goes. And to me it sounds like a recipe for confusion - at best - or a massive argument, should they all end up in the same rink with you at the same time...

heytherewhatsup

Rinkside
I have 3 coaches because my job requires me to travel a lot. I wanted to skate regularly so I got a coach in the cities that I spend the most time in. It is very confusing indeed, especially when learning a program...but I guess that’s the best thing I could do.

What would be some good exercises for the 2A? Coach A suggested 1A + 2Lo but since I don’t have a consistent 2Lo this is really difficult for me. Off ice 2A is also scary - I could only do 1/4 rev more than the 1A when I first tried it.