New clear bag policy | Golden Skate

New clear bag policy

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I understand why they're doing this, but part of me wants to protest by showing up with a large wheel of gouda, several fake tarantulas, and other strange and distracting goodies in one of those clear bags. :laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I understand why they're doing this, but part of me wants to protest by showing up with a large wheel of gouda, several fake tarantulas, and other strange and distracting goodies in one of those clear bags. :laugh:

Ohh we could all have soooooooooo much fun with this!

There are so many legit things to put in a bag that could make people uncomfortable.

Actually, on a more serious note. This is kinda a jerk policy for anyone who may need to carry medical supplies and want privacy. There are plenty of medical issues while certainly not shameful, may be such that people do not want them publicized. Those people should be entitled to privacy and should be able to do so discreetly. (please note an exception bag is not discrete)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow. I hope the policy will be CLEARly communicated to everyone who buys tickets to a SAP center event.

Not that though the size of bags is limited, you can bring as many bags as you want.

I actually used clear plastic garbage bags to take my "tossing animals" in to Skate Canada, but my wallet, rolled-up seat cushion, empty coke bottle, and other personal items were in a small backpack that was not clear, and probably did not meet the SAP center dimensions. It wasn't too large in volume, but was probably more than 12 inches in its longest dimension.

I wonder if the SAP center will be selling 12" x 12" x 6" "clear bags"? At a "modest" mark-up, of course.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I bought 2 clear bags @ Rite-Aid Pharmacy a few months ago (on sale, too). They will come in handy for the future! I still have my clear tote bag from 2015 Nationals in Greensboro & used it @ this year's Nationals.

Ducky

On the Ice
Woohoo, another bag for me to forget something in when I'm changing purses. ::rolls eyes::

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a LOT OF STUFFIES..I hope the clear bags can be gigantic. Although I'm not going to 2021 Nationals:( Too far.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if the SAP center will be selling 12" x 12" x 6" "clear bags"? At a "modest" mark-up, of course.

The last time I attended a function with a clear bag policy (NCAA I think is the same across the board) they were handing out *tiny* clear bags, between quart and gallon size, and we were being told "You can only take what will fit into this bag."

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The last time I attended a function with a clear bag policy (NCAA I think is the same across the board) they were handing out *tiny* clear bags, between quart and gallon size, and we were being told "You can only take what will fit into this bag."

:sad21: They don't understand the needs of fs fans! We need more room for our stuffies, banners, flags, souvenir programs, etc.

Ducky

On the Ice
But it's see-through; harder to overlook something.

You'd think so, but then you're half a mile out of your house trying to get on the subway only to realize your wallet and metrocard are still in your normal purse.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You'd think so, but then you're half a mile out of your house trying to get on the subway only to realize your wallet and metrocard are still in your normal purse.

I was thinking of going in the opposite direction; hard to leave something in a see-through bag. But you're right, you have to get everything you need into that bag first.

When I go to a skating event, there is very little overlap between items in my purse and items in my "event backpack". Only my wallet and (perhaps) keys. I even keep my room keycard in my wallet to avoid forgetting it!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

If you had other things with you, what were you supposed to do with them? Leave them in your car works if you drove and are parked nearby, but not so good if you arrived by other means!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you had other things with you, what were you supposed to do with them? Leave them in your car works if you drove and are parked nearby, but not so good if you arrived by other means!

Sorry I was not more specific. They were handing out these bags in the parking garage. Elsewhere I don't know. But the NCAA has the same clear bag policy across all stadiums/venues/etc. So it wasn't a venue thing. It was an NCAA thing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

In the US, we have 2.5 gallon zip lock bags. I dont know if they will put big stuffed bears through the metal and drug detectors or not.
Chris not necessarily a slave to fashion.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A 2.5 gallon zip-lock bag is fine, if you have one with you.

I was wondering what they do about people who show up with a non-see-through bag of "stuff" (or stuffies), and don't have a see-through bag or place to store their excess "stuff" (usually a car). Do they just not let you in until you solve the problem yourself? Do you have to dump your excess stuff in the bushes and hope it's there after the show? Do you take a cab to the nearest clear-bag-vendor and come back? Do they have coin-operated lockers (outside the secure area) where you can stow it? Can you go through another llne with metal detectors and physical searches?

I would have been totally unprepared for a clear-bag policy at Skate Canada. I would hope they would make extraordinary efforts to prepare people (e-mails, big warnings on ticket-buying sites, bold print on the tickets themselves) for this policy. But there will always be people who didn't get the message and aren't prepared.

My daughter-in-law was visiting us when they instituted the no-liquids-rule for airplanes (this was for a short time, before they replaced it with the limited-liquids-in-clear-bag-rule). We heard about it and told her about it, but she still had a problem with a tiny tube of expensive make-up. She would have had to throw it away to get on her home-bound plane, but a kindly screener let her go back and give it to me.