2019-20 GP and JGP Final: Day 1 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP and JGP Final: Day 1

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Missed Junior Men and Pairs. The Junior Ladies were all incredible! Kudos to all of them. So happy for Alysa - the girl is fearless and I love her joie de vivre. I really liked Usacheva earlier on the JGP and was pleased to see her skate well here as she had some errors in earlier outings. In Senior Pairs, the Russians were really bringing it - great job! Too bad for the little errors from Sui/Han and Peng/Jin too. And a real shame for MT&M - I don't think I've seen her fall all year, that surprised me. In Senior Men - the big showdown... wow Nathan - best short of the year for him! I too don't care for the shirt but mainly cause it's kinda boring and doesn't relate to the program. But when Nathan skates like that I forgive him for his fashion choices. Yuzuru was great - too bad about the mistake cause it was a costly one. It makes me nervous when skaters do their combo last cause it leaves no room for improvising a later combo, very risky. Still Yuzuru looks to be in the best shape I've seen him in a very long time. Congrats to Kevin for a great skate - after his nervy skates at his last comp, I wasn't expecting that! Good for him. Looking forward to what Day 2 will bring!

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Has the term "making history" been applied to any skater more frequently than Alysa Liu recently? She's doing great things, and I'm happy for her, but the American press needs to chill out, and I say that as an American :drama: There are female skaters from all around the world doing really amazing stuff right now.

MRani

On the Ice
Has the term "making history" been applied to any skater more frequently than Alysa Liu recently? She's doing great things, and I'm happy for her, but the American press needs to chill out, and I say that as an American :drama: There are female skaters from all around the world doing really amazing stuff right now.

All this claiming that Alysa is the first junior girl to land 3A3T is blatant Rika Kihira erasure :laugh:

Alysa did great though, happy she had a clean skate. Ksenia’s SP continues to be a marvel, she really should’ve won the PCS by a margin for that. Proud of Haein for putting out a solid skate, a shame about the underrotated combo.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

I agree. For fairness sake I would fix your statement to mostly from one part of the world though :biggrin: Which, in turn, answers your perplexity about American press.. selectivity :biggrin:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
One thing I did notice that I didn't before was that Alysa seems to prerotate some of her jumps a full turn before leaving the ice. It was very clear on both the 3T and the 3Lo in the slow-motion shown on the official ISU video on YouTube. Strangely, the more difficult 3A take-off was really nice.

Bentley

Rinkside
Am I the only one to think that the press conference with Yuzu, Nathan ans Kevin was excruciating? What an ordeal, especially for Yuzu and by association for the two other skaters. :bang:

Yuzu is a very beautiful skater but does anyone believe he is 55 points better than any other skater like he was scored at NHK? Talk about home country cooking or was it they made sure he had weak competition? Why do they think they are doing these skaters any big favors by overscoring them like that.

Bentley

Rinkside
I especially enjoyed the Junior Ladies. What a bunch of talented skaters All of them from 1-6. Alysa was great and I think she is unflabbable and just really enjoys skating. I don't really like Kamela's short program, it does nothing to display her talents and I have seen her skate it much better. If she is in fact injured then that would explain a lot. But congratualtions to all the young Ladies for being there. A big acomplishment alone.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yuzu is a very beautiful skater but does anyone believe he is 55 points better than any other skater like he was scored at NHK? Talk about home country cooking or was it they made sure he had weak competition? Why do they think they are doing these skaters any big favors by overscoring them like that.
That was a lesser margin than he won SCI with, so no, it wasn’t home country inflation. Hanyu landed six quads and three triple Axels, nobody else came close.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Didn't watch junior pairs and only half of junior mens. Exciting day one!

Junior mens:
I agree with most of the scoring here, shame for Kagiyama's big Axel mistake :(
Samsonov's short is so great, even with the fall.
Mozalev was pretty good but I don't get the music (same with Sato actually)

Junior Ladies:
Confused by some of the scoring.
I'm good with Liu being ahead of Usacheva, program's fun and she did a 3A-3T.
I thought Sinitsyna should've gotten more, especially compared to what she got in Italy, honestly would have her first.
I thought Haein was really underscored in comparison to everyone else, even with the UR she shouldn't be 3 points back of Vasilieva.
Valieva is great but the choreography at the start is such a stark contrast to the music for me, and her combo GOE shouldn't be that high.

Men:
It stresses me out when so many in a mens event leave the combo to the last jump:noshake:
Nathan's shirt is nice on it's own, but doesn't fit the program AT ALL, it would fit his FS better.
Kevin was amazing, as was Hanyu if you ignore the step out.
Agreed with the placements, would've had Aliev a bit higher.

Pairs:B/K's score shows such judging inconsistency, my gosh.
Agree with the placements, but I'm very sad for MT/M

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Alysa is such a happy little bean and quite the performer. I am so happy she landed in top spot! I'm not a fan of angsty overwrought skating so her joyfulness suits me just fine and happy that the judges don't seem to mind it either.

Nathan, Yuzu and Kevin were awesome.

I'm one of the few who doesn't mind Nathan's fashion choices. It's so "him" I find myself looking forward to whatever random shirts he comes up with.

Kevin is a treasure!!! Didn't know of him before but omg that SP is amazing and I adore the step sequence! He makes up for my Junliet heartbreak.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The commentater who said she made history is Canadian.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this claiming that Alysa is the first junior girl to land 3A3T is blatant Rika Kihira erasure :laugh:

Alysa did great though, happy she had a clean skate. Ksenia’s SP continues to be a marvel, she really should’ve won the PCS by a margin for that. Proud of Haein for putting out a solid skate, a shame about the underrotated combo.

The commentator said she was the first junior to land the 3A-3T combo in the short program. I believe Rika landed it in the long as a junior.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Kevin's SP was amazing, I think one of my favorite men's performances ever! Controversial, but I actually think Yuzu should be in third right now, having flubbed his combo. Yuzu clean is the best but Kevin performed with SO much energy and pizazz and had excellent choreography and the jumps were all there. He should be in second.

khtmyzr

Final Flight
Great showing for Kevin and Nathan. Yuzuru was amazing throughout the program apart from the lack of combo. While it wasn’t the SP results I was hoping for, I’m relieved Yuzuru got through another day with no injury.

was it they made sure he had weak competition? Why do they think they are doing these skaters any big favors by overscoring them like that.

I’m not sure how they can make the competition tougher at NHK. He can’t possibly go against Nathan or Vincent because of Worlds placement. It’s natural for JSF to separate Shoma and Yuzuru. Kolyada who was 6th at Worlds was assigned there but withdrew and because Kolyada was assigned, Boyang couldn’t possibly be there as well. Kevin who was amazing here at GPF was also at NHK. And Jason was also there but it just wasn’t his day. I really think it was just a combination of bad outing and withdrawals that made the competition ‘weaker’ and widened the gap.

Last edited:

Beckaboomer

Final Flight

Uhhhhh he won SC by like 60 points didn’t he? :laugh: But yes, he absolutely is 55-60 points better than most skaters out there when he skates clean. He’s not that far ahead of everyone, Nathan has certainly closed the gap with his technical mastery and amazingly cool head under pressure since the Olympics.

I was disappointed by the Junior Men’s competition, but the Junior Ladies were wonderful! The Senior Men were actually pretty good overall. I thought the top 3 were all lovely in their own ways. Kevin is so exciting and innovative, Nathan was technically as close to perfect as I’ve seen him, and even with that costly mistake I thought Yuzu’s Otoñal was gorgeous.

Orlov

Medalist
Also it was pretty funny to hear how worried Ted Barton was seeing Alysa's URed 3A in slo-mo in replay - and how glad he was that TP ignored that. Which still surprised me though - Ted should know better by now that usual ignoring of Alysa's URs is law of nature by now - she is pretty much invisible in eyes of any tech panel. So you should just accept that rule and don't have a speck of worry about her. All she needs is just not fall - pretty easy task with her Miyahara's level of consistency.

For the sake of peace and quiet on the GS I would recommend that the TV people do not show Alysa's landing. Cuz... come on, we are not blind (it's clear to me that it was 3А<+3T<). But US-comrades will blame us that we are h...rs, that we are envious Russians, etc.
Just show start of jump and at the top of the trajectory the frame change - it will be better for everyone :) Anyway, we can't influence anything - the score will be what it is, but at least we won't fight with each other here :)