2019-20 GP and JGP Final: Day 1 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019-20 GP and JGP Final: Day 1

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Diverging from the ladies discussion for a second - I was watching the Junior ice dance RD and all the guys are 20. Does that mean the entire group of 6 team at the JGP are too old for the YOG?
Yes.

The first and second alternates for the Final (Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy of Russia and D'Alessandro/Waddell of Canada) are the highest-ranked YOG-eligible teams from the JGP. The highest-scoring eligible American team is Wolfkostin/Chen.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Junior ladies were tough as nails - I still do not like Valieva much, she just skates through the music in this one. The beginning and end pose are cool, but what happens in between makes no sense to me as a supposed storyline.
E

I have to agree with you on her performance in this event. However, I've seen video of her skating this program last season with a much higher performance quality. She looked incredibly nervous, plus she's coming off an injury that isn't fully healed, so I imagine that affected her quite a bit. She has it in her to perform better and really feel the music, it just didn't all come together at this comp.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
She still won, Alysa made too many errors.
Not a perfect victory but it's quite amazing considering her injury.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She still won, Alysa made too many errors.
Not a perfect victory but it's quite amazing considering her injury.

It's worth pointing out that, even with three < and another fall, the added difficulty of 3A/quads allowed Alysa to score within two points of TES of a pretty much maxed out 7-triple program (2x 3F and 3Lz with lots of high scoring elements in bonus, level 4 everything, +GOE on everything).

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It's worth pointing out that, even with three < and another fall, the added difficulty of 3A/quads allowed Alysa to score within two points of TES of a pretty much maxed out 7-triple program (2x 3F and 3Lz with lots of high scoring elements in bonus, level 4 everything, +GOE on everything).

It was still very close, yes. I admire Alysa's spirit, she went for everything.

I'm relieved Kamila left out her quads, sensible decision and an unnecessary risk when recovering from injury. I fear it might not have gone well had she attempted them.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
(Wince) spoilers for Day 2... okay, I am getting off the Internet for the next two days :)

Oops sorry lol

I totally forgot this is the day 1 thread!!!

I even thought it was Saturday this morning for some reason, i'm cracking up

Bentley

Rinkside
Who needs a Quad when you can put out such beautiful fully rotated triples. Kamila skates with so much speed. A deserving winner in my opinion. Alysa went all out but that fall on the triple axel was costly along with the under rotations. But in spite of it all, she kept going strong. However, I think her expression in the KS was kind of like she thought she should have won. Of course, she was disappointed but every skater, no matter how good, will make mistakes.

Lzbee

Final Flight
These spoilers... Please have a thought for those of us who haven't had a chance to watch the junior ladies freeskate yet :(

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
This is supposed to be a thread for Day 1 though.
Since a thread for day 2 doesnt exist yet and many disiplines are already doen for the day. It is only natural to come here and write something. I would find it the best to only have one thread for all days, and for me personally I have no problem already reading some things in here, because wether or not I k ow who is first etc I would still watch the skaters skates on you tube. It doesn't make a difference for me personally

Lzbee

Final Flight
Since a thread for day 2 doesnt exist yet and many disiplines are already doen for the day. It is only natural to come here and write something. I would find it the best to only have one thread for all days, and for me personally I have no problem already reading some things in here, because wether or not I k ow who is first etc I would still watch the skaters skates on you tube. It doesn't make a difference for me personally

It does make a difference to some of us and it would be nice if people could remember that and be considerate of it. It would help even just to have a warning or a spoiler tag if those are possible because I didn't realise they were spoilers until I had already read them. It's fine that people want to discuss the competition and I get that so I avoid all other threads in the forum if I haven't watched a major competition but it should really have been safe in a thread that specifically stated Day 1.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the forum is supposed to have a policy that people are not meant to discuss competitions until after it has ended due to the competition threads being under a paywall. I expect that's why the Day 2 thread hasn't been created yet?

Going through the comments now, most of it is discussion about the Russian ladies so it could have been said in that thread. Anyway, it seems to have been started by a genuine mistake here.

(Also, sorry for rehashing this as I didn't read the rest of the thread after Mishaminion's comment so didn't see lariko's comment.)

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
It does make a difference to some of us and it would be nice if people could remember that and be considerate of it. It would help even just to have a warning or a spoiler tag if those are possible because I didn't realise they were spoilers until I had already read them. It's fine that people want to discuss the competition and I get that so I avoid all other threads in the forum if I haven't watched a major competition but it should really have been safe in a thread that specifically stated Day 1.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the forum is supposed to have a policy that people are not meant to discuss competitions until after it has ended due to the competition threads being under a paywall. I expect that's why the Day 2 thread hasn't been created yet?

Going through the comments now, most of it is discussion about the Russian ladies so it could have been said in that thread. Anyway, it seems to have been started by a genuine mistake here.

(Also, sorry for rehashing this as I didn't read the rest of the thread after Mishaminion's comment so didn't see lariko's comment.)
I also only wrote one thing and that was that the junior grand prix final winner will be a Russian, I said nothing more, and I didn't really read the comments afterwards.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

Yeah it was my mistake, got a bit muddled.

I think talking about results is fine after the end of each disciplines SP/RD and FS/FD, not the end of the entire competition.

But yeah...this is the day one thread and I need my eyes (and my head) testing I swear. :palmf:

I apologise if I ruined it for anyone who hadn't caught up yet

slider11

Medalist
Ted Barton is a super commentator! He did a fabulous job all season long with the Junior GP circuit! He is knowledgable and insightful and his voice is easy on the ears. Well done!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Diverging from the ladies discussion for a second - I was watching the Junior ice dance RD and all the guys are 20. Does that mean the entire group of 6 team at the JGP are too old for the YOG?

For the record, Vadym just turned eighteen in October.
The two reasons that Avonley and Vadym are not eligible for YOG: (1) Avonley is [just barely] too old; and (2) Vadym does not have U.S. citizenship.