Quad Axel | Golden Skate

Quad Axel

waltzjump2

Rinkside
I was just wondering about the 4A in general.

who’s attempted it
will it (or when will it) be ratified and by who
is the current BV fair or unfair
is the jump dangerous, etc.

This isn’t about any single skater in particular. The jump interests me, and it’s exciting to think we may see history made with a new jump.

edit: please do not use this thread to discuss specifically and only Nathan Chen vs Yuzuru Hanyu. I think there are other threads for that

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Artur Dmitriev Jr. attempted it in competition last year, and I think Keegan Messing has tried it in a harness, but they're the only other two beside Hanyu I think.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There have been other tries (not in competition), such as Max Aaron in harness. Takahito Mura.
And IIRC, probably a few others (besides those already named in this thread) who have been discussed in previous GS threads re quad axel.

(I'm not complaining about a new thread. Just sayin' that the old ones did have relevant information, if anyone cares to search for them.)

lzxnl

Final Flight
It's certainly the only non-downgradeable attempt so far without a harness. I don't think Dmitriev ever gotten to more than forwards.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
About it being dangerous, all jumps are dangerous. I guess a few are pushed into more difficult jumps by coaches, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a skater who doesn't consider it well worth the risk. I think a lot of fans who say that skaters should stop because it's too dangerous would change their tunes if they knew what it felt like to fly like that. And I'm saying that as someone who can only do singles (+ off-ice 1A and 2T). Quads? If I could do them, I'd be like Trusova, with my coaches having to all but drag me off the ice when they decide I've done enough for the day. :laugh:

As for the 4A BV, it seems too low to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-SSdGxQos
Yuzuru Hanyu 4A< (fall) from GPF 2019 practice ;) It's really close to being landed, I guess.. :unsure:

A lot of people think that was fully rotated. :)

skatenewbie

Medalist
A lot of people think that was fully rotated. :)
Its borderline indeed and if its competition it will come down to the TP, if its strict it will get called < but might not if TP is lenient

What is (I think) Dmitriev Jr.'s most recent attempt in practice is posted here (or here if you prefer).
Dmitriev attempt is better than his previous ones but quite far from rotated, i would say < borderline << (his landing is not exactly forward)

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Wouldn't it be fun if one of the jumping bean girls does it first?
I actually think it would be funny if anyone but Hanyu landed it first :laugh:
I don't know, Yuzu's just been talking about it so much.
Could you imagine if Keegan Messing just came out at 4CC and landed it? Or someone who's never shown any indication of training it. Like Nathan Chen or something.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Will it be a quadzel or a quaksel, 4A it will be in the protocols, but for fans, 4A is already taken by Awesome And Amazing Aces from Khrustalniy ;-)

Will Aleksandra Trusova be the first woman to try it?

lzxnl

Final Flight
Will it be a quadzel or a quaksel, 4A it will be in the protocols, but for fans, 4A is already taken by Awesome And Amazing Aces from Khrustalniy ;-)

Will Aleksandra Trusova be the first woman to try it?

Let's wait for her to land a 3A first. Think about how long it's been for Yuzuru from landing his first 3As and now trying 4A. His 3As right now are top notch (when not exhausted from 5 other quads) and effortless, but he still majorly struggles with this jump.

Sasha doesn't even have a stable 3A yet. It'll take her quite a while because you can't do a 4A without an incredibly consistent 3A. She has a better chance of a 5T tbh.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Well, gorgeous as Alena Kostornaia's triple axels are, given her history, her potential injury and her need of quads (and their being probably on the way for EC and WC, but maybe not that consistent), I don't see her attempting one this season, nor next. Why not for Olympics?
I hope Yuzuru Hanyu will land a quad axel this season, next at worse. If he is not too affected by the "robber GPF", and if he has no injury, wich I wish so, so much.
I don't see any other Tutberidze girl, nor Elizabeta Tuktamysheva, anywhere near a quad axel.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, gorgeous as Alena Kostornaia's triple axels are, given her history, her potential injury and her need of quads (and their being probably on the way for EC and WC, but maybe not that consistent), I don't see her attempting one this season, nor next. Why not for Olympics?

Alena has hurt herself training the 3A. Furthermore, despite her very good technique she barely gets the full rotation. There is no way she'd ever be able to do a 4A.

It's hard to see anyone, man or woman, being able to do a 4A without being at least as solid on the 3A as is Yuzu.

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
In pursuit of the quad axel, a few more of Hanyu's attempts at 2019-2020 GPF practice

Grand Prix Final Torino 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu practice day 3: he tries quad axel!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7yx0Q-qJI

Those falls are hard, but when it's a bit more rotated like it is here the fall doesn't seem as bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-O1Z91hRBM

Still bad, but not nerve wrackingly so.

Interesting talk about the 4A from Yuzuru here (as well as some other things from GPF):

https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1203676934921691138

https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1203704055064924164

Super interesting that these attempts were so well managed and close despite him not having practiced it much the past two months. Some more consistent practice should greatly improve it, although he seems to still be figuring out some of the jump mechanics that will make it smoother.

I was wondering why he wasn't going into it with more speed, but i guess he just doesn't want to crack his skull. It reminds me a lot of Yagudin saying he almost broke his neck practicing the jump. It's dangerous indeed.