Quad Axel | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Quad Axel

champagnerain

Final Flight

I don't know if Hanyu said it himself (I haven't seen that quote, personally), but Ghislain Briand did say it (quoted here). Also, it's not in his planned program content, although of course he could change his mind about that - especially if he actually sees/hears about Boyang trying it in practice (if Boyang does, indeed, plan to attempt it and the 4A on the PPC isn't a typo).

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't know if Hanyu said it himself (I haven't seen that quote, personally), but Ghislain Briand did say it (quoted here). Also, it's not in his planned program content, although of course he could change his mind about that - especially if he actually sees/hears about Boyang trying it in practice (if Boyang does, indeed, plan to attempt it and the 4A on the PPC isn't a typo).

Thanks.

"That short program is, I think, the best short program in the history of figure skating," Briand said. "Now he just has to perform."

Wow. That’s very bold.

icybear

Medalist
I'm 99% sure it's a typo mistake. The 4A combo is in the same place where he does his 3a combo so it's likely an error. Boyang has never said about trying the quad axel. And he's not the type of skater that likes to play petty mind games and intimidate his rivals with outrageous tech he knows he's not going do and just to mess with the mentality of his nearby watching rival

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Doesn’t make sense to me. To win Worlds Hanyu will likely need to be clean. 4CC he can win even with falls.

Yuzuru has a knack for landing every single quad the first time he attempts them in competition though (even if the next few times are hit or miss), so it might work out.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Hanyu is taking the wrong approach. If he wants his career to last, he should consider taking the Jason Brown method - do what you can do cleanly and well and rack up the GOE and PCS. I mean, we're at the point where if Jason gets that 4T around and +GOE he could be over 100 TES with just one quad.

By chasing the harder quads he risks not-clean programs and the GOE and PCS losses that causes. But by doing clean programs, even with the tech reduced just a smidge, he could still score very big.

champagnerain

Final Flight
If he plans to do the 4A it seems he should try it the 4CC to get it competitive ready.

I hesitate to mention this, because I know there are some Hanyu fans out there that read/watch every interview of his and probably would know better than I do (and I welcome one of them to chime in if so!), but what I understood from the interviews he gave last year was that the 4A wasn't ready yet. I don't know/remember the date of the interview, but I think late last year (?) he said that he'd been able to fully rotate a 4A but he hadn't actually successfully landed one yet. AFAIR, he said he took time off of training the 4A to focus on the GPF (which might be part of the explanation for why) but his 4A attempts from the GPF practice weren't fully rotated. I assume that if he'd been practicing them regularly leading up to that, they would have been better, but I (personally) haven't heard Hanyu or his coaches confirm that he's ever successfully landed a 4A. Ghislain Briand says they're "getting better and better," but for all we know, that means that he's been fully rotating them most of the time in practice but still hasn't been able to stay on his feet - in which case, it would make sense why he isn't planning to add it at 4CC.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that Hanyu's not adding the 4A because he wants to make a big statement at Worlds by landing it there for the first time, but my first suspicion was that he still hasn't landed one (or that if he has, his success rate is very low), and he's assuming that - by sheer force of will - he'll manage to get it competition-ready by March. He can certainly have a fall at 4CC and still win, so I can see the argument for trying it anyway, but I don't know if Hanyu would want to add the 4A if his current success rate in practice is like...20% or lower, for instance, even if he knows falling on it likely wouldn't cost him the competition.

If anyone who follows Hanyu's/his coaches' comments more closely than I do has seen/heard them confirm that he's actually landed any 4As, that might mean I'm totally wrong, but those have been my assumptions based on what I currently know. :shrug:

skatenewbie

Medalist
whole post
i agree, i think people underestimate time to learn new jumps, especially axel type jump. Its one of the hardest jump because of the forward takeoff. For 3A alone it could take seasons for a skater to learn that. Sam case with Trusova here. Ive seen people telling Trusova would have her 3A ready by this season, then by Nats, by European and now by Worlds. Im not saying she can't do 3A, she have landed it in practice but her consistency is very low, she also have issues with rotating it. I wont be surprised if she did not have 3A by Worlds or even early next season. The same goes for Hanyu. They are top skaters and good jumper but it's still not easy task to learn new jump

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I hesitate to mention this, because I know there are some Hanyu fans out there that read/watch every interview of his and probably would know better than I do (and I welcome one of them to chime in if so!), but what I understood from the interviews he gave last year was that the 4A wasn't ready yet. I don't know/remember the date of the interview, but I think late last year (?) he said that he'd been able to fully rotate a 4A but he hadn't actually successfully landed one yet. AFAIR, he said he took time off of training the 4A to focus on the GPF (which might be part of the explanation for why) but his 4A attempts from the GPF practice weren't fully rotated. I assume that if he'd been practicing them regularly leading up to that, they would have been better, but I (personally) haven't heard Hanyu or his coaches confirm that he's ever successfully landed a 4A. Ghislain Briand says they're "getting better and better," but for all we know, that means that he's been fully rotating them most of the time in practice but still hasn't been able to stay on his feet - in which case, it would make sense why he isn't planning to add it at 4CC.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that Hanyu's not adding the 4A because he wants to make a big statement at Worlds by landing it there for the first time, but my first suspicion was that he still hasn't landed one (or that if he has, his success rate is very low), and he's assuming that - by sheer force of will - he'll manage to get it competition-ready by March. He can certainly have a fall at 4CC and still win, so I can see the argument for trying it anyway, but I don't know if Hanyu would want to add the 4A if his current success rate in practice is like...20% or lower, for instance, even if he knows falling on it likely wouldn't cost him the competition.

If anyone who follows Hanyu's/his coaches' comments more closely than I do has seen/heard them confirm that he's actually landed any 4As, that might mean I'm totally wrong, but those have been my assumptions based on what I currently know. :shrug:

In one interview Yuzu stated that the thing he is struggling with is the timing of landing the 4A. Hence why he was practising quints, to find the timing for landing The Monster. Meaning he probably has it rotated.

On another note...
This is all exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time, I don't understand however why some people try to put Yuzu down and ciricize his ambition to smash boundaries reason being "it's dangerous and he can't do it" and then go ahead and praise russian girls for esentially doing the same thing :confused2: Yuzu is Yuzu, doing Yuzu things. I imagine the uproar when he does land it. His haters will go bonkers and I will pour myself some whisky :coffee:;)

1111bm

Final Flight
I don't understand however why some people try to put Yuzu down and ciricize his ambition to smash boundaries reason being "it's dangerous and he can't do it" and then go ahead and praise russian girls for esentially doing the same thing :confused2:

1) 'Put Yuzuru down'? How so?

Questioning the hypothetical reward versus the possible risks and consequences if something goes wrong doesn't equal putting him down. Especially given his age and history of right ankle injuries and likely increased risk of a repeated injury in the same area.
All things that do not apply to the young russian girls, mind you (not yet, that is).

I've also yet to see any of the russian girls go for a not-yet-fully-mastered and never-before-landed jump during a (I assume) tense competition practice setting a day before an important free skate and without any of their coaches present.

Oh and btw, speaking of russian girls and double standards:
From what I remember young Evgenia used to receive quite a lot of criticism for all the pantomiming that she did in her programs. Yet when Yuzuru wields an invisible sword in Seimei or mimes playing a violin in Origin, suddenly it gets elavated to high art and a trait of superior musical interpretation. :laugh:

2) Are you sure that it's the same posters criticising Yuzuru yet simultaneously praising russian girls for their achievements? (I don't follow russian ladies' skating that much, so I'm not aware)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I'm 99% sure it's a typo mistake. The 4A combo is in the same place where he does his 3a combo so it's likely an error. Boyang has never said about trying the quad axel. And he's not the type of skater that likes to play petty mind games and intimidate his rivals with outrageous tech he knows he's not going do and just to mess with the mentality of his nearby watching rival

This begs the question: who is such a skater?

ccjump

Spectator
I just saw a video discussing about who will land the first Quad Axel and then a google search led me to this page. Making my first post here so I could post the video in the next post as this forum's requirement.