Arena was vandalised by fans after Men's Free Skate

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not as bad, but there were some also holding up signs during the medal ceremony where I hope no skater saw them https://twitter.com/skatelove2006/status/1203345239332851713 :disapp:

And people talking about contacting Interpol. About figure skating results. I wish everyone would calm down. It's ridiculous.

Again..how could anyone ever do this? It's crazy. I love Gracie and I was so disappointed she ended up 4th at Worlds, but she made errors and there is no way I would have defaced anything or held up signs like this. What on earth is wrong with people?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The latter part actually cracked me up :laugh2: CSI, Interpol all should get involved :rofl:

Interpol will not even get involved in those romance scams where people scam lonely vulnerable women out of millions or even billions of dollars. I can just see them coming to investigate this..please....

KatGrace1925

Medalist
You missed my point, which was that there is a large and growing number of skating fans who have problems with the ISU that have absolutely nothing to with the results of their individual favorites, and the ISU often actively refuses to address these things or else does so badly that they only make things worse. The entire ISU Awards and especially the Shulepov fiasco would be the most recent example from these other areas, for example. We hear ISU officials and high-ranking leaders of ISU Members make negative statements about other Members, even individual skaters and coaches, and they’re rewarded with judging appointments and committee seats. Et cetera. There are many, many, many things the ISU has done and said in recent years that have resulted in the build up of a huge amount of ill will towards them, which have nothing to do with wuzrobbing (but they do increase the sentiment that the ISU is corrupt and lacks legitimacy, and by extension, decreases faith in the results of their competitions).

I think these things should be addressed, personally. And I don’t think the ISU can afford to just dismiss new fans, or ignore the opportunity to turn 'fans of skaters' into 'fans of skating.' But if the ISU doesn’t think so, if they think that these complaints aren't worth responding to—then they shouldn’t respond. Instead, they do give responses (or they sit by and allow their highest officials to make statements with varying levels of ‘official’ credibility) which range from the hopelessly tone-deaf to the thoroughly nasty— shifting blame, making implications, attacking motives, refusing responsibility—and then hiding behind transparently insincere non-apologies and implications about whining fans and wuzrobbings, while rarely offering anything of substance. There are just so many reasons that some fans are angry with the ISU.

Now, this specific incident was obviously tied to an individual skater’s fandom, true. There's a large, vocal contingent of Hanyu fans who firmly believe he should be held up as the paragon of pure skating, interpretation, and technique. But I mean to be responding to your statement about fan complaints and the ISU’s response. I think there's much more to fans' complaints than you're making out.

I was specifically referencing fans complains in regards to placement and scoring after events as someone was mentioning that if fans have so many problems with the scoring of this event they should file official complaints. All my responses have been in reference to this instance. I doubt the people spray painting walls after the GPF were thinking of all the statements ISU officials have made in the past few years.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Short answer : Yes .
Does ISU seem to care in terms of developing the sport? No.
IOC cares more than ISU.

OK. But how about a longer answer? One with examples of what you're talking about.

I'm willing to be won over to your point of view, but it's going to take evidence or examples, which you have not provided so far.

You assert that the ISU has screwed over smaller federations in the scoring and/or placements. Surely you can back that up.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is not surprising after reading quite some fans were talking about how to get Nathan killed after the worlds. The anger even spread to Raf after his Russian interview was deliberately twisted.

Eric, Ashley, Liza, Nathan all being harassed terribly on social media to a degree you are wondering what is wrong with those fans.

Oh my word. They were talking about how to get him KILLED? These skaters labor long hours in often lonely conditions to share their skating with us. And for this people think they deserve to be killed, because one of them beat another one a person thinks he shouldn't? This is crazy.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Again..how could anyone ever do this? It's crazy. I love Gracie and I was so disappointed she ended up 4th at Worlds, but she made errors and there is no way I would have defaced anything or held up signs like this. What on earth is wrong with people?

This is where I can bring in an example with my favorite skaters. I thought Evgenia's score were a bit high at the 2016 worlds but she did deserve her placement. After she skated I still believed Gracie could overcome it if she skated clean but she didn't. The results of the 2016 worlds then proceeded to be fair and the girls who showed up that day to compete ended up on the podium. I . didn't riot about Evgenia's score being a bit high in mu opinion there was no point, the results were correct. Scores aren't measured skater to skater, no judge is looking at their scoresheet thinking well Yuna's lutz was more beautiful than this one, so this one has to be be less points oh how many points did I give to Yuna? I truly believe fair judgement is judging what is presented in front of you without reference to what others have done. How x did should not come into play with how y did. Comparative judgement only opens the door to even more subjectivity which is not what this sport needs.

A lot of outrage is based on fans comparative judgement. Believing x's jump was absolutely the pinnacle of perfection so y's can't have as much goe but y met all the criteria for their goe and the criteria does not state it needed to look better than x's jump to surpass x's jump. That's just why the rhetoric around unfair judging has me frustrated. A lot of it is fans lobbying for comparative judgement instead of judging what is presented to you on it's own merits. It's like fans are asking for a more unfair system than what is already in place. The grand prix final is not the only competition this has happened at and Chen/Hanyu aren't the only skaters that have been talked about this way.

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Oh my word. They were talking about how to get him KILLED? These skaters labor long hours in often lonely conditions to share their skating with us. And for this people think they deserve to be killed, because one of them beat another one a person thinks he shouldn't? This is crazy.

Fandom culture 101 there will always be crazies who take it too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.