Arena was vandalised by fans after Men's Free Skate

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It works multiple ways. I'm not surprised cos there are groups who hold virtual prayer circles or wish for Yuzuru to be injured.
Not counting people harrassing his family & grandparents, ever since 2014 win.

Evgenia gets called worse than that in Russian if I recall correctly. Kolyada being called a disgrace to Russia, yada yada.

It is just it happens to US skater that you all start to be aware & take notice.

That's not fair, it's awful whoever is treated this way and from whatever country they're from.

It's awful people have said such things about Yuzu and his family (seriously what the heck? Some people are messed up!) And equally awful they're going after Nathan now. :(

I hope something can be done about this, death threats to anyone are unacceptable, not even as a "joke" or "blowing off steam" or whatever they want to call it.

These are all human beings, skaters, judges, members of the ISU, coaches and they deserve to be able to go about their lives without fear or hatred.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It is just it happens to US skater that you all start to be aware & take notice.

Yes, there were "fans" out there who were literally wishing for Max to skate poorly and celebrating that he never made an Olympic team.

They are awful people.

The people who sent Adelina death threats and abuse for something that wasn't her fault are beyond awful. And these are the same type of people we are seeing here and now.

rain

Record Breaker
BTW, the original tweet had been deleted, but it seemed that some fans reported the crime of unfair score to Interpol

https://twitter.com/mad4skating/status/1203477510832431104?s=20

Wow, that's like the nutbars who call 911 when their takeout is cold. Some people really need to get a sense of perspective.

This kind of rabid stuff seems to be getting worse.

I really fear that some nutcase will not just make threats online or deface a wall of signatures, but start physically attacking skaters and judges.

I can't help but think of poor Mariah Bell receiving death threats after accidentally cutting Eunsoo Lim last year at worlds. Some people really take the crazy to a whole new level.

alexaa

Final Flight
It works multiple ways. I'm not surprised cos there are groups who hold virtual prayer circles or wish for Yuzuru to be injured.
Not counting people harrassing his family & grandparents, ever since 2014 win.

Evgenia gets called worse than that in Russian if I recall correctly. Kolyada being called a disgrace to Russia, yada yada.

As a matter of fact, Zhenya’s case had been discussed when it happened, and I believed there was a thread in FSU about the terrible message she got from a Japanese fan when she had ice shows in ajapan this year. Misha was a different case, and people talking about it, I am not sure in this forum.

I became a FS fan after watching Nathan, so I don’t know about the prayer circle thing. It was very disturbing.

The harassment I talked about in my previous post happened to Eric, whom some Hanyu fans started a petition to get him removed from some post. He is a Canadian. Liza is Russian. Only Nathan and Ashley are Americans. So it is not I only took notice when it happened to Americans.

BTW, Nathan’s family is not immune from some fans’ attack either.

lizardlass

On the Ice
The people calling Interpol about this reminds me of those people who call 911 when McDonalds forgets their McNuggets.

This is all the more puzzling because it wasn't like Yuzuru skated perfectly and Nathan lumbered around on the ice and won undeservedly.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I can't help but think of poor Mariah Bell receiving death threats after accidentally cutting Eunsoo Lim last year at worlds. Some people really take the crazy to a whole new level.

Yup and unfortunately, the headlines and descriptions on mainstream news were so misleading that many non-figure skating fans still think it was on purpose. Even on the collision footage, there are people who know nothing about figure skating practices/warm-up etiquette who are making malicious comments. :(

alexaa

Final Flight

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nathan lumbered around on the ice and won undeservedly.

They actually do think that, though. That Nathan "lumbers". I mean, I think his PCS is silly, especially when he skates alongside someone like Jason who is a true 90+ skater, but at the very lowest I'd have him mid-80s, for a meltdown. Probably around the 87 mark for me when he's on. But these people like to act like he should be in the low 60s.

Imagine

Medalist
The people who sent Adelina death threats and abuse for something that wasn't her fault are beyond awful. And these are the same type of people we are seeing here and now.

Wow, it’s almost like these are the same group of psychos. I wonder what the connection might be here? :rolleye:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Are we going to be digging up all the stories of the worst things fans have done? This could take forever. It's a race to the bottom.
Since we are here in the insular setting of this forum we can make nice categorizations like "Hanyu fans are crazy" "Yuna fans are crazy" "XX fans are the worst" and maybe feel a little smug and superior that we are not 'that fan'.
It's not like that in the broader context. Sports fans, heck fans in general have this tendency. It needs to be acknowledged that this is something that tends to happen in fandoms. -And then make solid steps to discourage it from happening again.
I'm not convinced that remotely commenting and sharing horror stories about whose fans did what is the answer.

Bullying, in person or in cyberspace, vandalizing a venue, these are real problems that need real solutions. I doubt it can be completely stopped and that incidents can be brought to zero, but steps can be taken by individuals, and by the organizers so that it happens less.

lizardlass

On the Ice
Unfortunately, there were fans thinking that way. Read some comments under Jackie’s conference summary
https://twitter.com/dimccorkle/status/1203308056945164288?s=20

Wow, that person unleashes all of that wrath despite the fact that Nathan and Yuzu are praising each other to the high heavens. AND, Nathan very humbly ADMITS that he doesn't compare to Yuzuru artistically. These two awesome, amazing skaters respect each other so immensely. People have the right to disagree with the results, but they are disgracing themselves with such cruel personal attacks. I really don't know what they hope to achieve.

discode

Final Flight
It might be the same group of psychos, but not for the reason suggested. Bradie also just recently got threats for getting too close to Rika during practice, which would have resulted in Bradie herself being horribly maimed in the face by a skate blade. Because apparently the best way to mess with your competitor is to use your actual body as a weapon. :scratch2:

rain

Record Breaker
Yup and unfortunately, the headlines and descriptions on mainstream news were so misleading that many non-figure skating fans still think it was on purpose. Even on the collision footage, there are people who know nothing about figure skating practices/warm-up etiquette who are making malicious comments. :(

Eunsoo's agents, who instigated the whole mess, have a lot to answer for, in my opinion. I think they knew and got exactly what they wanted from the whole debacle, at the end of the day at the expense of both skaters, IMO. They knew perfectly well that that unstable extremist fanbase was out there just ready to be riled up, and they poked them with a stick. I was very disappointed with the coverage, and quite frankly, with the U.S. Figure Skating Federation. Anyone who knows anything about skating knows that Mariah did nothing wrong and that was not at all made clear the way it should have been. The U.S. Fed's silence was deafening — very poorly handled.

mametaro100

Spectator
(sorry if my English is bad) I think all fans (no matter who's the skater is) should realize that their acts will affect and damage their idols/skaters. Not just in front of the ISU/Judges, but also the whole World. So, it is better to think twice before you write something about certain skaters. If the fans have any complaints about certain judgments, they should do it officially and not include any violence or assault. In my opinion, Figure Skating is the hardest sport to judge, because it includes beauty, elegance and other elements that are quite subjective to be judged by human beings. What we think a great performance is, might not be the same as the judges or ISU. I believe that the organization will try its best to maintain fairness in the sport.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Well why do you think Hanyu always walks around with a security guard and even needed 8 of them at Peyongchang? He has been receiving death threats (and his family) since 2014 and threats posted on the Peyongchang official account were severe enough to warrant that level of security.

Not to say fans (or agencies) of certain skaters have been caught advertising online to pay people to write online slanders of Hanyu, JSF even had to file an investigation and the whole thing made Japanese headline news.

Psychos exist in all groups of fans, and more often than not legal actions need to be taken.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've loved figure skating from the first time I saw a picture of a skater in one of my storybooks. I was aged two and I'm now over 50. I've skated (to a high standard) and coached but have never, ever considered myself a "fan". To me, "fan" is a shortened form of the word "fanatic" and that has no positive connotations whatsoever. That others consider it to be a source of pride, frankly, baffles me. When attending competitions, I'll applaud every competitor. Yes, I have favourites - based on skating rather than national/tribal affiliations - but I honestly want to see every single skater perform to their best ability and be happy with that performance. And the best one should win. I think there's a far more fair system of judging now rather than in the days of the Cold War when I grew up and started competing and I'm thankful for that, even if I miss the cards with 6.0.

To see the level of vitriol that seems to exist within these "fandoms" really saddens me, but then that seems to be the way the world is going at the moment. I really hope it can be stopped. Kindness should be the way forward.

But I'm British. We tend - with some sad exceptions - not to be at home to Mr or Mrs Rude. <pours tea and proffers biscuits>

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I've loved figure skating from the first time I saw a picture of a skater in one of my storybooks. I was aged two and I'm now over 50. I've skated (to a high standard) and coached but have never, ever considered myself a "fan". To me, "fan" is a shortened form of the word "fanatic" and that has no positive connotations whatsoever. That others consider it to be a source of pride, frankly, baffles me. When attending competitions, I'll applaud every competitor. Yes, I have favourites - based on skating rather than national/tribal affiliations - but I honestly want to see every single skater perform to their best ability and be happy with that performance. And the best one should win. I think there's a far more fair system of judging now rather than in the days of the Cold War when I grew up and started competing and I'm thankful for that, even if I miss the cards with 6.0.

To see the level of vitriol that seems to exist within these "fandoms" really saddens me, but then that seems to be the way the world is going at the moment. I really hope it can be stopped. Kindness should be the way forward.

But I'm British. We tend - with some sad exceptions - not to be at home to Mr or Mrs Rude. <pours tea and proffers biscuits>

Hear hear!

E

Status
Not open for further replies.