Brian Orser not at Grand Prix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Because he had been away all the previous week, and all skaters were only allowed to register one coach. So Hanyu made the decision to take Ghislain.

Orlov

Medalist
Because he had been away all the previous week, and all skaters were only allowed to register one coach. So Hanyu made the decision to take Ghislain.

I do not see a logical connection. Hanyu is Orser's most important student, and GPF is the second most important competition of the season. So what, Kurakova for Orser (or where was Orser before?) was more important than Yuzu?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why do you think Orser's presence would have made any difference?

Hanyu's mistake in the SP was a fluke. One of those things that just happens. Orser couldn't have helped that.

Hanyu's problems at the end of the LP appeared to be related to stamina (he himself acknowledged that), and I don't think Orser could have fixed that in a few days.

This week he was beaten fair and square. Maybe things will be different at World's, but there's really no reason to cast about someone to lay blame on this week.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Where had he been? Why wasn't he home coaching Hanyu?

Because he has other students too, and sometimes one of those is his first priority, even if they're just skating at a Senior B. This is the case for every coach with more than one elite student; they can't focus on just one of them all the time, but have to choose where to place their time and attention. Orser and Hanyu therefore worked it out between them that Hanyu would work with Briand for the GPF and Orser would give his time to another student.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That's interesting I never knew or noticed that before! Is that common? I'm sure at most competitions I've seen more than one coach with a skater.

It was a bit of a shame not to have Brian O cam, but Yuzu picked Ghislain and he would know best who he wants to have along. (Ghislain's the TCC jumps coach right? Maybe Yuzu was hoping for more 4A advice!)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Where had he been? Why wasn't he home coaching Hanyu?

He'd been at competitions with his other students. You know he has other students, right? Hanyu is not the only one.

I do not see a logical connection. Hanyu is Orser's most important student, and GPF is the second most important competition of the season. So what, Kurakova for Orser (or where was Orser before?) was more important than Yuzu?

Orser had been with students at a series of Skate Canada events is my understanding. Helping those students qualify for Nationals. For those students, I am sure this was their most important event of the season. And Orser is not only human, he's not that young anymore either. They may have decided that a fresh and rested Ghislain was a better option than a tired Orser.

lizardlass

On the Ice
According to the GPF wikipedia page: "... notably sitting in the kiss and cry alone after his coaches Brian Orser and Ghislain Briand experienced difficulties travelling from Toronto to Turin, with Orser's visa not being cleared in time and Briand's passport stolen while transiting through Frankfurt Airport."

Orlov

Medalist
Orser had been with students at a series of Skate Canada events is my understanding. Helping those students qualify for Nationals. For those students, I am sure this was their most important event of the season. And Orser is not only human, he's not that young anymore either. They may have decided that a fresh and rested Ghislain was a better option than a tired Orser.

I'm talking about priorities. Why did Orser travel with less important students (where he was tired), and not go with Yuzu? Why not vice versa?

DenissVFan

Medalist
I'm talking about priorities. Why did Orser travel with less important students (where he was tired), and not go with Yuzu? Why not vice versa?

And why wasn't Eteri at the GPs with all her skaters? Or Raf? Really, we don't know these people's arrangements.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why are people treating Ghislain as some sort of second-rate coach for Yuzu? Ghislain has played an essencial role in helping Yuzu regain his quad lutz and working with him on the quad axel as well. Yuzu has given his medal to him at SCI and NHK. He is an important coach.

He probably had a choice of who to go with and it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever he was perfectly okay going with Ghislain. The stolen passport and other things couldn't be helped--- that could have happened if Brian was the one going.

Last edited:

Orlov

Medalist
And why wasn't Eteri at the GPs with all her skaters?
I tell you why - cuz her ladies-student took first places among seniors and among juniors (i mean all that Orser has - is Yuzu and Zhenya, focus on them - not hard), cuz all three coaches in Tutberidze team can fully replace each other. And Eteri didn’t miss the final. Orser is a coach who missed the final! Do you not understand this?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Only one coach was allowed per skater and as TCC did not have any other student there only one coach in total was allowed to be there. Gishlain was chosen for that role, simple. Gishlain and Yuzuru have a very close bond and Gishlain is the one mainly working on his jumps so it makes sense that he comes with Yuzuru when Yuzuru tries to jump his 4Lz for the first time in several seasons.

skatenewbie

Medalist
What now? Do people really want to blame Orser for Yuzu losing to Nathan? I do get complain about Nathan PCS beinh too high but even if he got 8s he would still be ahead of Yuzu. Yuzu also often get privilege by not getting called for URs and getting high PCS when he bombs. I notice stamina have been his problem, he actually URed few of his 2nd half jump in FS, like 4T in SCI or NHK i forgot also the triples too. I hope he work on that and come back stronger in Worlds

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What now? Do people really want to blame Orser for Yuzu losing to Nathan?

Yep, that's exactly where this thread is going and where this argument has already gone elsewhere.

For those wondering about Tracey, she was in Croatia with Jason.

I am quite sure, if Yuzuru really insisted, that Orser would have gone. But Yuzuru chose Ghislain. Maybe because he wanted to work the 4A. Who knows? But it was Yuzuru's choice.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Seriously. Yuzuru Hanyu is 25 years old and knew full well what he needed to do on the ice. No coach--whether Orser or Briand or Wilson-- can skate the program for him even when present. It's kind of pathetic that some posters on a skating forum seem to think an experienced 25-year old skater who's been to this movie many times before, even needed his hand constantly held and then, only by Orser himself. Bottom line: it's NONE of any of our business' as to the coaching/traveling arrangements Team Orser and Hanyu came up with. We certainly aren't owed any explanations. And shouldn't be using this as an excuse for Hanyu's flawed performances.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I don't think the result would have been different, but I like to see Brian with him after the programs mostly for emotional support (and funny reactions when the performance is very good). After the SP you can see he needed to talk to someone in the K&C. You're right, he's 25 and has a lot of experience in competitions, but some of us are fans and are overprotective maybe. :yes:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I tell you why - cuz her ladies-student took first places among seniors and among juniors (i mean all that Orser has - is Yuzu and Zhenya, focus on them - not hard), cuz all three coaches in Tutberidze team can fully replace each other. And Eteri didn’t miss the final. Orser is a coach who missed the final! Do you not understand this?

That is not true, Brian has other skaters and other commitments beyond Yuzu and he understands that, which is why Gishlain went with him (although through no fault of his own did not make it in time for SP).

I do not see why people are complaining, does anyone ever stop to think that Yuzu seems to have had no problem at all with this arrangement and that Brian is a person not a friggin robot.

Eteri had 4 seniors and 2 juniors in the finals.
Brian had ONE

halulupu

Final Flight
That is not true, Brian has other skaters and other commitments beyond Yuzu and he understands that, which is why Gishlain went with him (although through no fault of his own did not make it in time for SP).

I do not see why people are complaining, does anyone ever stop to think that Yuzu seems to have had no problem at all with this arrangement and that Brian is a person not a friggin robot.

Eteri had 4 seniors and 2 juniors in the finals.
Brian had ONE
The chemistry between yuzu,brian and gislain seemed already weird at the last grand prix. So maybe juzu moved to gislain for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.