Finding motivation | Golden Skate

Finding motivation

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Hi skaters/skating fans
As some of you may know, I do competitive figure skating
I started skating very late compared to most competitive skaters but I have managed to catch up with the other skaters my age at my rink
So generally I am pretty confident with my doubles, I mean double axel is a different matter so let's exclude that [emoji13], but all my other doubles up to 2Lz I'd say were pretty much consistent
Until recently [emoji58]
I feel like the past month or so I have just been getting worse [emoji37] I have been underrotating and falling so much on even just 1A, 2S and 2T which I used to find second nature
I don't know why I can't land anything but nothing seems to be working anymore
Usually I'll have some bad training sessions, and then some good ones, but recently I have had no good ones and every single time I train, I get further and further away from what I used to be confident with
It's not just my jumps, I'm also doing rubbish spins and falling on basic footwork [emoji51]
My coach keeps on trying to make me work harder so that I can get back to the level I was at before but it just tires me out
Since I am falling so much, I get hurt A LOT, so much more than I used to, everything just seems to be going bad and I can't make it better [emoji37]
I've always loved skating so much but I'm starting to question it now, I'm obviously not improving, and I'm just wrecking my body, so what's the point?
I've always been able to find motivation, so when I fell or had a bad practice or competition, I would pick myself back up and keep going, but I've lost the ability to do that now. I just can't find the motivation anymore
I want to continue but at the same time I'm not sure
If anyone has any advice, please let me know, I'd much appreciate it [emoji4]
Thank you
Kirsty

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You may need to step back from the sport a bit and not work yourself so hard and get out of your head (not forever).

When was the last time you went skating for fun? With Friends or family? Just having fun on the ice and not being in your head about what jumps you need to land at that time or what spin levels you need to get might help. Get back the fun of the sport.

Then maybe have a talk with your coach about different ways to approach your training so that you can be refreshed out there and then things may be able to get back on track and work again. You'll be landing those jumps, etc. :cool:

Just some ideas that have worked for me in the past.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Aside from the above you may also consider:

1. Stepping away from free skating for a while and trying another skating facet such as ice dance or moves in the field.

2. Taking a break from skating completely to see how you feel without participating in the sport. If you find you're really missing it then you can re-dedicate yourself to the sport. Re-dedication is a good motivator.

I have done both at various times in my life. Currently implementing re-dedication for the past 4 years and am very motivated again!

Elija

On the Ice
Definitely recommend a break. Taking a month off a little while ago helped my training so much. Kind of felt like i had reset myself going back, and i was able to work on some of my bad habits that were holding me back.

Schpanky

Rinkside
Thank you so much for posting this thread. It's so honest and I think everyone can relate. I'd say more of the same (take a month off), only I'd go one step further. GO ROLLER SKATING! You already have wonderful balance, strength and flexibility, so it will be easy and fun. That way, when you go back to ice, you'll appreciate it even more.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Take some time off. No need to stop skating if you don't want to, but try to reconnect with what you loved about skating to start with. What drew you to it in the first place? What did you enjoy most? How about skating with non-skating friends and family as a seasonal fun activity? Go to a temporary Christmas rink and just enjoy the atmosphere with other people enjoying themselves rather than being constantly striving for improvement.

You could also put jumps and spins on the back burner for a while and concentrate on edges, moves, turns, interpreting music, choreography... Or ice dance. Ice dance is wonderful and to me encompasses what skating is all about. It's a great social activity, too, if you're not absolutely dedicated to improvement and passing tests.

Find your joy. It's all about the joy. You don't have to do any of it and if it doesn't bring you joy, then do something else.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for posting this thread. It's so honest and I think everyone can relate. I'd say more of the same (take a month off), only I'd go one step further. GO ROLLER SKATING! You already have wonderful balance, strength and flexibility, so it will be easy and fun. That way, when you go back to ice, you'll appreciate it even more.

Not all figure skaters can roller skate lol! I can do triple triples on the ice, but can't roller skate! The 4 wheels are a no-no LOL

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Not all figure skaters can roller skate lol! I can do triple triples on the ice, but can't roller skate! The 4 wheels are a no-no LOL

Same, OMG, I can barely stand on roller skates. :laugh: I think my brain just freaks out, like, "Why is everything so slippery? Where are my edges!? PARTS OF MY BLADES ARE MOVING."

I can't help much with motivation, OP, but please, if you try roller skating, be VERY careful. Wear a helmet and every kind of pad imaginable. :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Same, OMG, I can barely stand on roller skates. :laugh: I think my brain just freaks out, like, "Why is everything so slippery? Where are my edges!? PARTS OF MY BLADES ARE MOVING."

I can't help much with motivation, OP, but please, if you try roller skating, be VERY careful. Wear a helmet and every kind of pad imaginable. :laugh:

Yes!!!! I can rollerblade but not traditional rollerskate, my body is just like no way. :laugh:

Elija

On the Ice
Haha same. Love roller blading (and am actually super keen to try some snow white or off ice skate wheels on some of my old edea boots). But quad skates are terrifying.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm not a girl or a skater, but after reading comments GS members have made in relation to various international skaters over the years, something immediately sprung to mind when I read your comment. And since nobody else has mentioned it yet, I will.

Have you considered the possibility that the issues you are having could be puberty related?

Admittedly, we don't know how far on you are in that respect. But, it could be that you need to make a lot of adjustments to your technique to allow for the changes to your centre of gravity.

That said, your coach should be experienced enough to know that teenage girls go through these things. So, if a changing body is the reason for things not working any more, and your coach is not doing anthing about it, I would say you need a better coach.

On the other hand, if she is not making suggestions to address this, it suggests to me that this is probably not the issue.

Another possibility is that it could be a mental block, perhaps related to the breakdown in the friendship between you and an older skater at your rink that you raised in another thread. You probably associate the rink with her, and it may be subconsciously affecting you when you are there.

Either way, a break from training would probably not do any harm. And now would be the perfect time to take it as well, with the Christmas break and January exams coming up.

All the best

CaroLiza_fan

Elija

On the Ice
I'm not a girl or a skater, but after reading comments on here over the years, something immediately sprung to mind when I read your comment. And since nobody else has mentioned it yet, I will.

Have you considered the possibility that the issues you are having could be puberty related?

Admittedly, we don't know how far on you are in that respect. But, it could be that you need to make a lot of adjustments to your technique to allow for the changes to your centre of gravity.

That said, your coach should be experienced enough to know that teenage girls go through these things. So, if a changing body is the reason for things not working any more, and your coach is not doing anthing about it, I would say you need a better coach.

On the other hand, if she is not making suggestions to address this, it suggests to me that this is probably not the issue.

Another possibility is that it could be a mental block, perhaps related to the breakdown in the friendship between you and an older skater at your rink that you raised in another thread. You probably associate the rink with her, and it may be subconsciously affecting you when you are there.

Either way, a break from training would probably not do any harm. And now would be the perfect time to take it as well, with the Christmas break and January exams coming up.

All the best

CaroLiza_fan

I was going to write this in my original answer, but I looked at the OP’s bio and it says she is 46, so i didn’t lol. Was my first thought too though. Could still be changing body, losing or gaining weight i suppose.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I was going to write this in my original answer, but I looked at the OP’s bio and it says she is 46, so i didn’t lol. Was my first thought too though. Could still be changing body, losing or gaining weight i suppose.

That's hilarious. I'm suspecting that's not the OP's actual birth date. From previous postings' grammar, syntax, spelling and content, my money would be on this century.. Also, one of the previous posts actually says, "I am a kid. I don't understand posh language..."

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure I can do like a waltz jump on roller skates, possibly a dodgy single sal but nothing more than that and I can't spin [emoji13]
Not trying to seem nosy but what triples can you do?

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
You may need to step back from the sport a bit and not work yourself so hard and get out of your head (not forever).

When was the last time you went skating for fun? With Friends or family? Just having fun on the ice and not being in your head about what jumps you need to land at that time or what spin levels you need to get might help. Get back the fun of the sport.

Then maybe have a talk with your coach about different ways to approach your training so that you can be refreshed out there and then things may be able to get back on track and work again. You'll be landing those jumps, etc. :cool:

Just some ideas that have worked for me in the past.
Thank you for the advice! I will defo take it on board [emoji108] sometimes I have parties at my rink where we just go to mess around and have some fun, I often bring along some of my friends from outside of skating. When I think about it, I do enjoy just skating for fun without the pressure of having to land jumps and do clean programmes etc.
Kirsty

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Aside from the above you may also consider:

1. Stepping away from free skating for a while and trying another skating facet such as ice dance or moves in the field.

2. Taking a break from skating completely to see how you feel without participating in the sport. If you find you're really missing it then you can re-dedicate yourself to the sport. Re-dedication is a good motivator.

I have done both at various times in my life. Currently implementing re-dedication for the past 4 years and am very motivated again!
Thanks so much for the advice!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Definitely recommend a break. Taking a month off a little while ago helped my training so much. Kind of felt like i had reset myself going back, and i was able to work on some of my bad habits that were holding me back.
This is a good idea [emoji108] thank you!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Thanks for the tips! I do really enjoy roller skating!! I mean not that I'm very good at it haha, I like it tho
But yeah, I'll definitely try it again!! : ))

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Take some time off. No need to stop skating if you don't want to, but try to reconnect with what you loved about skating to start with. What drew you to it in the first place? What did you enjoy most? How about skating with non-skating friends and family as a seasonal fun activity? Go to a temporary Christmas rink and just enjoy the atmosphere with other people enjoying themselves rather than being constantly striving for improvement.

You could also put jumps and spins on the back burner for a while and concentrate on edges, moves, turns, interpreting music, choreography... Or ice dance. Ice dance is wonderful and to me encompasses what skating is all about. It's a great social activity, too, if you're not absolutely dedicated to improvement and passing tests.

Find your joy. It's all about the joy. You don't have to do any of it and if it doesn't bring you joy, then do something else.
This is very helpful! Thank you!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Same, OMG, I can barely stand on roller skates. [emoji23] I think my brain just freaks out, like, "Why is everything so slippery? Where are my edges!? PARTS OF MY BLADES ARE MOVING."

I can't help much with motivation, OP, but please, if you try roller skating, be VERY careful. Wear a helmet and every kind of pad imaginable. [emoji23]
This is funny [emoji23]