Finding motivation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Finding motivation

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
I'm not a girl or a skater, but after reading comments GS members have made in relation to various international skaters over the years, something immediately sprung to mind when I read your comment. And since nobody else has mentioned it yet, I will.

Have you considered the possibility that the issues you are having could be puberty related?

Admittedly, we don't know how far on you are in that respect. But, it could be that you need to make a lot of adjustments to your technique to allow for the changes to your centre of gravity.

That said, your coach should be experienced enough to know that teenage girls go through these things. So, if a changing body is the reason for things not working any more, and your coach is not doing anthing about it, I would say you need a better coach.

On the other hand, if she is not making suggestions to address this, it suggests to me that this is probably not the issue.

Another possibility is that it could be a mental block, perhaps related to the breakdown in the friendship between you and an older skater at your rink that you raised in another thread. You probably associate the rink with her, and it may be subconsciously affecting you when you are there.

Either way, a break from training would probably not do any harm. And now would be the perfect time to take it as well, with the Christmas break and January exams coming up.

All the best

CaroLiza_fan
Thank you for the advice! I don't think it is to do with puberty, although that was a good point [emoji4]
I actually started skating pretty much after going through puberty and although my body will have changed a bit over the past few years, I don't think it has really affected my skating a great deal
I think the point you made about A could have made a difference. Maybe I keep thinking about it when I am training with her so I am not as focused on my skating [emoji848][emoji37] I think over time this will get better as things settle down a little with the situation
Thanks again for the reply!
Kirsty

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
I was going to write this in my original answer, but I looked at the OP’s bio and it says she is 46, so i didn’t lol. Was my first thought too though. Could still be changing body, losing or gaining weight i suppose.
I am not 46, I am 16 [emoji23] does it say I am 46 in my bio?? I use GSkate as the phone app so I'm not too sure how it works as a website [emoji51]🤷*♀️

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
That's hilarious. I'm suspecting that's not the OP's actual birth date. From previous postings' grammar, syntax, spelling and content, my money would be on this century.. Also, one of the previous posts actually says, "I am a kid. I don't understand posh language..."
Yes, you are correct, although I do find it slightly weird how you decided to look through all my previous posts to find out my age
Please can we stop discussing this concept as it is making me uncomfortable and slightly creeping me out lol

Elija

On the Ice
Yeah your bio says 46 (born 1973) - I was going to suggest the puberty issue but didn’t want to offend you if you were indeed 46. Anyway, sounds like that’s not the issue, so the taking a break idea is probably the best option, or working on other things for awhile.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Yeah your bio says 46 (born 1973) - I was going to suggest the puberty issue but didn’t want to offend you if you were indeed 46. Anyway, sounds like that’s not the issue, so the taking a break idea is probably the best option, or working on other things for awhile.
[emoji108]

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm pretty sure I can do like a waltz jump on roller skates, possibly a dodgy single sal but nothing more than that and I can't spin [emoji13]
Not trying to seem nosy but what triples can you do?

When I was a bit younger and competing regularly, I had all my triples except axel (of course). My 3Lutz was a mess though, as I am more of an edge jumper as discussed in another thread on this part of the forum. :laugh:

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
When I was a bit younger and competing regularly, I had all my triples except axel (of course). My 3Lutz was a mess though, as I am more of an edge jumper as discussed in another thread on this part of the forum. [emoji23]
That's still so good tho!!! Way better than I could ever do [emoji28]

VegMom

On the Ice
I will just echo everything said here already...
-maybe take a break and just try something else for a while to sort of re-set your body
-check your blades, if they need to be sharpened it will throw everything off til they're sharpened
-puberty might play a role
-progress isn't always linear and most people have ups and downs, that's just how it goes

But also...
If you're really feeling off and maybe fatigued etc then please go see a doctor. Just get a physical to make sure nothing is off.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, you are correct, although I do find it slightly weird how you decided to look through all my previous posts to find out my age
Please can we stop discussing this concept as it is making me uncomfortable and slightly creeping me out lol

Sorry about that! I used to moderate some fora and was trained to look for inconsistencies in the personae that people project/use online, mostly in order to safeguard vulnerable minors - and adults! I pick up on things like age not matching writing style. There was no need for me to "look through all [your] previous posts" as I've read (and replied) to several in the past. Didn't mean to "creep you out".