Edge vs. Toe Jumpers and Adding Revolutions? | Golden Skate

Edge vs. Toe Jumpers and Adding Revolutions?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
How do you know if you're an edge jumper or a toe jumper, or are some both/neither?

Also, do your fastest-learned or strongest singles (or doubles) necessarily predict what will be your fastest-learned or strongest doubles (or triples)?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are you better at toe or edge jumps?: That's how.

zjamic

Rinkside
How do you know if you're an edge jumper or a toe jumper, or are some both/neither?

Also, do your fastest-learned or strongest singles (or doubles) necessarily predict what will be your fastest-learned or strongest doubles (or triples)?

What Ice3Rabbit said.

You prefer either toe or edge jumps. Typically what is easiest for you or your go-to-jump. Do you jump more edge jumps or toe jumps?

Because I lean towards toe jumps I found that flip was my favorite jump and quickly learned a single to a double jump, triples on harness for now 😅 because I haven't been allowed to skate heavy due to medical and my coach wanting me to ease back into everything. Despite the medical stuff, double flip came back instantly. The lutz was next, followed by toe-loop. My edge jumps kill me and were a nightmare to learn way back when.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What Ice3Rabbit said.

You prefer either toe or edge jumps. Typically what is easiest for you or your go-to-jump. Do you jump more edge jumps or toe jumps?

Because I lean towards toe jumps I found that flip was my favorite jump and quickly learned a single to a double jump, triples on harness for now �� because I haven't been allowed to skate heavy due to medical and my coach wanting me to ease back into everything. Despite the medical stuff, double flip came back instantly. The lutz was next, followed by toe-loop. My edge jumps kill me and were a nightmare to learn way back when.

And I'm the opposite. I can nail flips and love that toe jump, but hate the others. I love all my edge jumps--loops are my first love and 3loop is my go to. :luv17:

zjamic

Rinkside
And I'm the opposite. I can nail flips and love that toe jump, but hate the others. I love all my edge jumps--loops are my first love and 3loop is my go to. :luv17:

I wish I was as comfortable doing my edge jumps as I am with toe-jumps! Loop is my 2nd go-to for edge jumps, axel being the first for some really odd reason; my current coach swears its because I'm stubborn.

Nimyue

On the Ice

I feel this also. I almost want to say I'm a toe jumper just because I love the flip, and it's my best single. However I hate toe-loops and lutz' lol, and I've landed 2T but it feels weird and I don't like it. My axel and 2S are consistent and I learned them pretty quickly as these things go. My single loops is also really nice and I'm working on that double now... so yeah, I'm probably an edge jumper who happens to do well with the flip lol

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What Ic3Rabbit said.

Loop was my favourite jump. Although that's not surprising as edges were - and still are - very much my thing.

JSM

On the Ice
Definitely a toe jumper here. My best doubles were toe and flip (and lutz, which was really a flip, I flutz badly). They came back easiest as an adult for sure. The loop is and always has been the bane of my existence, lol.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As they are mine! We have so much in common! :biggrin: :ghug:

@Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch - I'm a loop jump lover too! Just love the feeling of that jump. Used to have a decent double loop too.

As to the original question: I try not to define my own self because I have enough head issues to overcome these days. But when I think about it, although I mastered all the single jumps, I must lean toward being edge jumper too.
I totally skipped over learning a double-toe because the falls I took were super scary - and that was when I was a lot younger!

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Maybe I just need to progress more before I figure it out. I'm equally comfortable with waltz jumps, toe loops, and Salchows (and by comfortable, I mean I love them all and do a million per practice, solo or in combination/sequence, from any number of fancy entries :laugh:), and struggle equally on loops and flips (both underrotated by pretty much the same amount).

The thread about triples just got me curious about the details, and also hoping maybe I can predict which might be (comparatively) easiest to get as a double someday.

And edges are my thing, too. :) Skating skills in general, actually. I'd probably have progressed a lot more on my jumps and spins by now if I didn't spend so much time trying to get gorgeous ice dancer edges/knee bend. (One of the proudest days of my life was the first time I made it through a lesson without even once being told to bend my knees more. Seriously.)

I know I'll be lucky if I get all the doubles, let alone any triples, but does age limit the ability to get super-good, deep, steady edges?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
And edges are my thing, too. :) Skating skills in general, actually. I'd probably have progressed a lot more on my jumps and spins by now if I didn't spend so much time trying to get gorgeous ice dancer edges/knee bend. (One of the proudest days of my life was the first time I made it through a lesson without even once being told to bend my knees more. Seriously.)

I know I'll be lucky if I get all the doubles, let alone any triples, but is does age limit the ability to get super-good, deep, steady edges?

I doubt very much you'd be jumping and spinning as well as you currently do, if you didn't spend "so much time" working on the deep edges and knee bend. Edges are the basis of every skating move. They are everything.

The only thing that limits ability to get "super-good, deep, steady edges" is lack of work/practice. Not age. Okay, if you 108 and just starting out then...

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I doubt very much you'd be jumping and spinning as well as you currently do, if you didn't spend "so much time" working on the deep edges and knee bend. Edges are the basis of every skating move. They are everything.

The only thing that limits ability to get "super-good, deep, steady edges" is lack of work/practice. Not age. Okay, if you 108 and just starting out then...

As someone who is struggling to learn the loop jump, I totally agree with this comment. I’d be doing so much better with the jump if my edges and knee bend were better

hanyuufan5

Medalist

Oh, for sure not as well, I just meant more of them but with lower quality, which is definitely not what I want.

Good to hear! Thanks. :)

gkelly

Record Breaker

Well, and having the strength to support your body weight on a deeply bent knee.

You can work to strengthen your leg and core muscles. You can work to keep your body weight lower.

But for those of us who are already significantly overweight and already have injured knees, hips, etc., it may be too late to achieve the best knee action that might have been possible when younger.

If you haven't run up against those kinds of physical limitations, then you will be able to accomplish more.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Well, I'm only learning waltz, salchow and toe loop (all singles, obviously). Of all of them, toe loop was the hardest to start, I didn't like the idea of jumping off the toe, but now it's my favourite jump, just feels super nice when everything comes together. Waltz feels weird now, which friends said may happen once I learned jumps that take off backwards, and let's not talk about salchow. I can't seem to get the timing on that jump.

So early indicators are that I'm a toe jumper, we'll see if that stays true as things get harder.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that early indications said that I was a dancer... :laugh2:

Conversely for me the most difficult MITF for me when I started was the 5 step mohawk and it's because I could not keep time and step on the correct beat. I'd be a horrible dancer lol.