Is Rika an exciting skater? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Rika an exciting skater?

taylor1

On the Ice
I think Rika is very skilled at all aspects of her skating, however she lacks the "it" factor that characterizes the other top competitors at the moment. She doesn't know how to connect with the audience and is not musically inclined, but many people are past this and focus only on her smooth and powerful skating

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think she needs better packaging, her skating is beautiful and well rounded. I think with better programs and costuming could highlight and elevate it even better.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Rika's programs last year were better at masking some of her issues with projection and interpretation. A Beautiful Storm had some gravitas to it that's missing from these more conceptual programs she's doing this year, where the music is overwhelming her. I actually think she and Alina are somewhat similar in their artistic limitations. I wouldn't say either necessarily has inherent personality, or "it factor" I guess, to their skating, and thus more character-driven programs help them find their footing artistically more. But when the packaging is off, their programs fall flat. They have peers with much more inherent artistry (Medvedeva, Miyahara, Shcherbakova, Kostornaia) and others with a signature cache to their skating (the edges and power of Sakamoto, Higuchi, and Mihara). It is ironic that they've both turned to similar styles in their programs this year, but both of their SPs are at least coming together.

readernick

Medalist
I think Rika is very skilled at all aspects of her skating, however she lacks the "it" factor that characterizes the other top competitors at the moment. She doesn't know how to connect with the audience and is not musically inclined, but many people are past this and focus only on her smooth and powerful skating

I guess this is very personal. Many people find Anna S. to have the "it" factor but I have never been drawn to her skating. I appreciate what she does well and think she seems sweet but I would never choose go back and watch her performances again. I find her interpretation overdone. Kaori is another skater that I appreciate (wonderful SS/that 3 loop) but don't really respond to artistically Others probably feel that way about Rika but I find her skating absolutely stunning ( when she's on..the GPF was her worst competition this season and I didn't find the programs compelling). But perhaps, I enjoy more subtle performers and others prefer those who are over the top. The "it" factor is personal.

However, I think the people who claim Rika isn't musical aren't really watching her body movements/choreography when skating. She always hits her musical beats on time and her body responds to each musical note. She often lacks facial expressions, but that is more related to performance than musicality. She is one of the few skaters ( the others being Satoko and Anna S.) who are almost never off their music . Even beautiful Aliona is often ahead or behind her music.

She has such a unique style on the ice, too. Feminine but strong and powerful. There is a certain fierceness to her skating that I enjoy especially when contrasted with the softness of many of her movements.

As a previous poster said, people value different types of programs and different skaters. To me Rika is very exciting and very special ( Aliona, Rika and Ksenia S. are my three personal favourite ladies. skaters at the moment) but not everyone will have the same opinion as this thread shows. Isn't it wonderful that there is such a talented group of skaters right now? It means that most fans will be able to connect with at least one skaters performances at each event.

yulikali

Rinkside
For me, Rika is one of the most exciting skaters this season.
She has the big tech guns - 3A, quad sal - and has them with the best technique imo; only Liza's 3A can compete with hers, but Rika has more transitions and beautiful landings on mostly everything. She is a joy to watch. And as for musicality, well. She doesn't express as much (this year), but what she does can fool me that it's not only an emotion planted on her face, but something that she really feels. Also as mentioned she is always in time with the music, so I could say that she has some of the best artistry and interpretation out of the current field. True, she doesn't shine in any particular field, except for her completeness - and that's just good enough. It doesn't get any more exiting imo

le01

Rinkside
I have to admit Rika is my least favourite from top Japanese skaters, she has great skills but it’s like she always skates with same expression and without emotions and I just can’t connect to her programs. My definition of exciting is Kaori and Satoko

Manitou

Medalist
I give her two credits:
- her SP music choice this season. I completely don't understand what it's about and the piece is for me so ridiculous, that choosing it for a SP I consider highly creative. I couldn't really focus on her skating when I saw her SP the first time because of those random sounds, but I got used to it now and it's so odd that I applaud her for that.
- I admire her for trying 4S on her GPF FS.
Before this season I was not on her train at all, but I think I am more and more attracted to consider looking at it with some dose of sympathy. I don't think I will be ever on it, but at least I may wave at it when it's passing by me...
Kaori is my most favorite Japanese skater, but being "most favorite skater" is very relative. I have never been a hardcore fan of Japanese ladies, but again - relative to others Kaori is my biggest favorite. Rika is next.

Zora

On the Ice
I love Rika and her programs and that she's challenging herself and not skating to Debussy-type programs forever, but I feel that she needs to skate a bit bigger. Every movement needs a bit more power to make her even more exciting.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I have mentioned this before, but watching GPF reaffirmed to me that Rika reminds me of an in good form Mai Mihara with a 3A. This isn't meant as an insult, since Mai is very good also. What I mean is that Rika is very good at almost everything without really being great or spectacular at anything. Does anyone else have an opinion on that?

That's very subjective. One person's "jack of all trades, master of none" is another's "all-around, complete-package skater." And being "exciting" or not doesn't necessarily make a skater more or less enjoyable, IMO. It's only one of many ways to be a captivating skater.

She reminds me more of a female Yuzuru Hanyu than of any other skater, which by my username should tell you what I think of her. :biggrin:

Honestly though, I'm not overly fond of either of her programs this season, whereas I adored both last season. But she's still one of my favorites, and she definitely makes me enjoy those programs despite my initial "???????" reaction to them.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
That's very subjective. One person's "jack of all trades, master of none" is another's "all-around, complete-package skater." And being "exciting" or not doesn't necessarily make a skater more or less enjoyable, IMO. It's only one of many ways to be a captivating skater.

She reminds me more of a female Yuzuru Hanyu than of any other skater, which by my username should tell you what I think of her. :biggrin:

Honestly though, I'm not overly fond of either of her programs this season, whereas I adored both last season. But she's still one of my favorites, and she definitely makes me enjoy those programs despite my initial "???????" reaction to them.

Hehe I sincerely hope her career takes his trajectory too because oh my goodness that will be amazing!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
A female Yuzuru?

Their charisma levels are like polar opposites though.

readernick

Medalist
A female Yuzuru?

Their charisma levels are like polar opposites though.

You are comparing Yuzuru ( confident two time Olympic Gold Medal Winner) to Rika who is only one year into seniors. Yuzuru didn't always have the same "charisma" (whatever that word really means, I think it is mostly related to confidence in yourself) that he has now. Certainly not when he had barely turned 17, it really didn't develop until after he won his first gold medal. Rika has everything she needs to be charismatic, but she lacks confidence. I think it will come in time.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Maybe charisma isn’t the right word, but like others have said, she lacks the “it” factor that can make a skater compelling to watch.

I don’t think it’s necessarily due to her age. Other skaters even younger than her, including some juniors, have more of that quality.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I think the fact that we've been debating for 3 pages as to whether Rika is exciting proves that she is exciting enough!

I followed the 4CC tag last year and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of casual skating fans tweet about her. I didn't realise baby girl was so popular in general.

People lament about the beautiful skating of days gone past and other people get excited about big jumps. She's got both. One doesn't have to endure bad tech or sloppy skating with Rika. The 4Sal has also added further to the excitement factor.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is another one of those random questions which every skating fan could start a thread (please don't) for their fave skater. j

I think Rika has excitign moments for sure. I guess at times sort of exciting but her personality does not really shine so some of that excitement is limited.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Excitement is subjective. I've never been into Rika's skating - I don't find her boring like I did with Sotskova, for example, but she doesn't interest me either. But scoring and placement are not dependent on excitement, and they should not be. She's a skater who's strong in all areas, with spins being her weakest, imo. For Japanese ladies, I find Wakaba and Kaori much more exciting, but Rika is objectively the better skater. I also think she lacks charisma, charm, and the "it factor", but she's still a much better skater than some others who have the "it".

Joekaz

On the Ice
This is another one of those random questions which every skating fan could start a thread (please don't) for their fave skater. j

I think Rika has excitign moments for sure. I guess at times sort of exciting but her personality does not really shine so some of that excitement is limited.
I doubt anyone would start such a thread for Wakaba or Kaori. The answer would be obvious.

Manitou

Medalist
Before the season Rika was considered the biggest threat to the predicted Russian dominance, but now, halfway into the season, the Russians don't even seem to notice her. And she knows it. I hope she will do some extra effort to get noticed in the serious competition. I am a hardcore fan of the Russian ladies, but they need some push from the outside too.