Is Rika an exciting skater? | Golden Skate

Is Rika an exciting skater?

Joekaz

On the Ice
I have mentioned this before, but watching GPF reaffirmed to me that Rika reminds me of an in good form Mai Mihara with a 3A. This isn't meant as an insult, since Mai is very good also. What I mean is that Rika is very good at almost everything without really being great or spectacular at anything. Does anyone else have an opinion on that?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Rika is a great skater. Wonderful jumps, edge control, artistry. I prefer Sakamoto and her superior artistry and edge control and use, but Rika is very good, and I would not compare her to Mai.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Rika is a great skater. Wonderful jumps, edge control, artistry. I prefer Sakamoto and her superior artistry and edge control and use, but Rika is very good, and I would not compare her to Mai.
I will agree with edge control but I wouldn't consider either Sakamoto or Kihira particularly artistic.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I will agree with edge control but I wouldn't consider either Sakamoto or Kihira particularly artistic.

I beg to differ. Sakamoto is a current day comparison to Yuka Sato. Dead ringer with the edges and artistry and everything.

But I'm not going to sit here and try to convince someone who can't see it. So we'll agree to disagree.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yes! Rika is exciting. She tries new things and takes risks in her skating stylistically and technically that astound me.

And let me tell you about my love for Mai Mihara! :love: To me she is unique, her skating is like watching oil move with water. Her lightness in skating is a dream experience and it completely overshadows her steely nerves and determination to overcome her chronic illness. Mai Mihara's skating makes me happy to be alive. :luv17:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rika is a very exciting skater in my eyes. She's got the perfect combination of artistry and tech. The jumps are all there as well as beautifully interpreted choreography. I cannot wait to see where she's heading and where she'll be. I've always thought of her as the next advancement in figure skating because of her progression in artistry and tech.

However your mileage may vary as different people interpret different things as spectacular. One person's spectacular program can be another's "ghastly" and someone else's "meh".

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I actually like Rika's programs this season much less than last seasons' programs. There seems to be a middle eastern fad going around this year with lots of skaters that is only half thought through and relies heavily on cliches in movement and costume...But I salute her for trying to grow in all directions. She is serious about trying to interpret the music and her progression is evident. Taking on unfamiliar movement and music while tackling new tech. Mad respect.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Rika is a very exciting skater in my eyes. She's got the perfect combination of artistry and tech. The jumps are all there as well as beautifully interpreted choreography. I cannot wait to see where she's heading and where she'll be. I've always thought of her as the next advancement in figure skating because of her progression in artistry and tech.

However your mileage may vary as different people interpret different things as spectacular. One person's spectacular program can be another's "ghastly" and someone else's "meh".
I'm referring to exciting in the more visceral sense. In other words a more emotional or physical trait, other than just correctly executing a technique. More like charisma. For instance Sakamoto and Higuchi are powerful and fast. Miyahara has grace and musicality. That's what I find lacking in Rika. She is young, however, so maybe she will develop that something extra.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I'm referring to exciting in the more visceral sense. In other words a more emotional or physical trait, other than just correctly executing a technique. More like charisma. For instance Sakamoto and Higuchi are powerful and fast. Miyahara has grace and musicality. That's what I find lacking in Rika. She is young, however, so maybe she will develop that something extra.

Ahh got it!

Yes still very exciting! Love the 3As and her transitions. Now with the 4S it's going to be spectacular. **Prayer circle for the ankle**

I hate criticising skaters so I try to avoid it but here goes as I can't really explain myself without criticising here.

From my personal perspective Miyahara's jumps are too small for me get very excited at all. I do appreciate her in the general sense that she looks quite lovely while skating but that's about it. Love the SP this season.

Sakamoto's programs this season I like but her tendency to randomly botch things up (especially jumps which seem fairly standard) really kill any joy I can derive from her skating as I ultimately wait for the botch up.

I can't comment on Higuchi as I've never watched her.

Hard to explain but Rika's completeness is what wows me. I was lured into figure skating by another skater and only watched Rika with the intention of dismissing her (I totally had her pegged as boring cute girl) but then it was like......wow. I found the ultimate package.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Rika Kihira is an amazing triple axel skater who was ahead of everyone else in the last season, winning almost all international competitions she participated in. But she admitted that she is now behind the three young Russians who can score 160 in free skate. Rika needs the quad salchow to compete with the three Russians and this year's free program is less impressive than the last years' "Beautiful Storm" artistically or choreographically, which needs to be improved for the next season.

Рика Кихира. Произвольная программа.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iym7zUstwLw

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Rika is somewhat boring for me.
Her jumps are good, but lack the height and hence no thrill. Kaori is a much exciting skater, perhaps the most exciting among current Japanese ladies.
She typically has stylized choreography (not generic) which I really appreciate, but I feel her execution of choreography needs to be fine-tuned. She has not improved in this regard in the past few seasons. Her "artistry" is overrated in my opinion.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I like Rika, she's not my favourite but I like watching her skate.

I don't like her programs as much this season but I found her GPF FS pretty exciting, she went for the 4S and she almost had it!

gotoschool

Medalist
There are 2 senior skaters whose programs I get the most excited or nervous to see because I enjoy their performances the most: one is Rika and the other is Young You. What I like the most about Rika is her combination of grace and fluidity of movement between each element and how she extends each movement out instead of rushing to the next. I am impressed with her quick reflexes as in the beautiful rippon tanos. She is also developing a wonderful plasiticity in her movement that I find unusual in which it seems the arms, legs and back bend and sway to the music beautifully like seaweed in water and she couples this with erect posture in between. She does this well in the SP this year, and there is the fabulous Ina Bauer followed by the graceful turns while kneeling on the ice with an arm raised high followed by the arabesque. which is one great highlight in her free program. She has excellent flexibility particularly in her I spin and her Biellman. I also enjoy her skating skills and smooth quick edge work in step sequences. Her jumps often vary in size, but there is often a smooth and powerful flow with beautiful air position, tight leg wrap, erect posture and no extra stroking with the free blade to assist before take off into combo jumps. I am impressed with her commitment to improvement and the sense that she is developing in the sophistication of her presentation. She regularly gets big responses from the audiences so I think many people share my excitement in her performances.

Bcash

Final Flight
She’s young and doesn’t have the kind of artistry that draw you into her performance. Her range is still limited, as can be seen in this new SP. Without a special program like last year’s LP, I’m left appreciating the individual elements. She does have the best costume for the LP amongst all ladies this season.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Yes, for me Rika is a very exciting skaters. I love how she commits to her choreography and tries different styles. She is a complete package. And her 3A is so beautiful.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Rika is like The Beach Boys. They burst on the scene, and seemed like they'd become major players in the music world.

Then along came The Beatles. And yes, somewhere in the background, The Beach Boys found a niche and had a nice little career. But...

NaVi

Medalist
She's fun to watch and her programs are extremely well composed. TBH though, I had to look up what her programs even were to answer the question. I do think Dave Lease has been way too harsh lately.

katymay

Medalist
Rika is somewhat boring for me.
Her jumps are good, but lack the height and hence no thrill. Kaori is a much exciting skater, perhaps the most exciting among current Japanese ladies.
She typically has stylized choreography (not generic) which I really appreciate, but I feel her execution of choreography needs to be fine-tuned. She has not improved in this regard in the past few seasons. Her "artistry" is overrated in my opinion.

Yes, I agree, I find Kaori far more exciting, even though she is less 'perfect', than Rika. Rika can do it all, but it seems to me she has too many 'rest' areas of her program. While I appreciate the intricate choreography of her program, I'm bored by it.