Is Rika an exciting skater? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Is Rika an exciting skater?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
"Exciting" is pretty subjective :) One of the translations "exciting" into Russian is "захватывающий". The literal translation of this word (back to English) is "something that captures you" - сaptures your attention, thoughts, soul etc. When Anya performs "Perfumer" - it literally captures me. So... :)

All this proves is that translation is an inexact science, lacks subtlety, and is sometimes just plain wrong.

Orlov

Medalist
All this proves is that translation is an inexact science, lacks subtlety, and is sometimes just plain wrong.

Or that the word is an entity in which there is initially ambiguity :) Or as linguists say "has a semantic spectrum". And therefore, the one who naively tries to define a word by a single example - "exciting" is Nathan - is doomed to failure.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Or that the word is an entity in which there is initially ambiguity :) Or as linguists say "has a semantic spectrum". And therefore, the one who naively tries to define a word by a single example - "exciting" is Nathan - is doomed to failure.

A more precise way of wording the original question would be: "Do you find Rika an exiting skater?".

Orlov

Medalist
A more precise way of wording the original question would be: "Do you find Rika an exiting skater?".

But I don't know what you mean when you say "exiting", really! :) This is SUBJECTIVE. Honestly, when I first saw the name of this thread, I thought it was like " does Rika's perfoming touching you?" I shrugged "strange question - someone touches someone not" and did not go here.

What means "exiting"? Does that mean I'll be running around the room, waving my arms and yelling "Aaaaahhh"? Personally, I never do that. Personally, for me, "exciting" is when I am taken out of my usual emotional state (this is not as easy to do as it may seem - I sympathize with stoic views) Anya's skating does this. Ergo - personally for me this is "exiting". Rika... mmm.. not really - this season I do not understand her program, especially SP. For me, skating of Japanese ladies is usually kind off... low-emotional. But this is a personal subjective opinion. For someone else Rika is an exiting skater. Meaningless thread as for me. It can only be perceived as a survey.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like Anna's program the best, too. However, this thread is about "exciting." Perfect ballerina skating is a joy to behold, but I would not use the adjective "exciting." ("Compelling," yes. :yes: )

Nathan Chen is exciting.

I repeat, no skater - not Chen, not Chan, not the 3A or Alina, not Virtue/Moir or P/C, not even Yuzuru or Yuna with their massive and wildly thrilled audiences, not anyone - is blanket exciting, because there are always people who are great or small skating fans but would rather watch blowfly racing on a slow day in Woop Woop than that particular athlete taking the ice.

(And hey, it depends on the ballerina too. Some of them can be both compelling and exciting, thank you)

Joekaz

On the Ice
This may be unbelievable news to some people, but the entire sport of figure skating is subjective. Lol It always has been and always will. So its quite ok to have your own opinions on skaters. I won't even get into the ridiculous levels of corruption incompetence over the years.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
But I don't know what you mean when you say "exiting", really! :) This is SUBJECTIVE. Honestly, when I first saw the name of this thread, I thought it was like " does Rika's perfoming touching you?" I shrugged "strange question - someone touches someone not" and did not go here.

What means "exiting"? Does that mean I'll be running around the room, waving my arms and yelling "Aaaaahhh"? Personally, I never do that. Personally, for me, "exciting" is when I am taken out of my usual emotional state (this is not as easy to do as it may seem - I sympathize with stoic views) Anya's skating does this. Ergo - personally for me this is "exiting". Rika... mmm.. not really - this season I do not understand her program, especially SP. For me, skating of Japanese ladies is usually kind off... low-emotional. But this is a personal subjective opinion. For someone else Rika is an exiting skater. Meaningless thread as for me. It can only be perceived as a survey.

Of course it's subjective - hence the wording "do YOU find...." And people may simply find Rika exciting, because she is the only Japanese lady skater at the moment with a fighting chance of top 5 at Worlds. It doesn't matter how exciting one finds the skating of Wakaba, Kaori, etc., but they are highly unlikely to get there with their current tech content.

I find men's skating more exciting simply because they take greater risks and you never know whether they will fall or not. Others say that's not great skating. They are probably right, but that doesn't stop me from perceiving men's skating as exciting.

I didn't find Rika exciting before, but watching her ex made me realise how expressive she can be. I may not find her exciting, but I certainly appreciate her qualities better now and I am excited for her future.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
This may be unbelievable news to some people, but the entire sport of figure skating is subjective. Lol It always has been and always will. So its quite ok to have your own opinions on skaters. I won't even get into the ridiculous levels of corruption incompetence over the years.

Oh phew! You finally realize this thread is entirely pointless due to the subjective nature of this sport.

Now tell us, what was your actual intent when creating this thread? ;)

Joekaz

On the Ice
Oh phew! You finally realize this thread is entirely pointless due to the subjective nature of this sport.

Now tell us, what was your actual intent when creating this thread? ;)
By your logic the entire sport of figure skating is pointless, so what's the point of this whole site? I guess from the Buddhist point of you that is right though. Lol

... the one who naively tries to define a word by a single example - "exciting" is Nathan - is doomed to failure.

No one would say "Exciting is Nathan" and claim that they have given a definition.

But one might say "Nathan is exciting" without being "naive."

Anyway, I can't believe that we have a whole thread devoted to trolling Rika Kihira. What purpose does this serve?.

E

eterialskater

"Exciting" is pretty subjective :) One of the translations "exciting" into Russian is "захватывающий". The literal translation of this word (back to English) is "something that captures you" - сaptures your attention, thoughts, soul etc. When Anya performs "Perfumer" - it literally captures me. So... :)

I think the appropriate word would be captivating. I think that's we are trying to discuss here. I feel Kihira lacks a signature move or prodigious artistry that captures audience. Zagitova is not an artistic goddess herself but she has wonderful spins and is a consumate performer. Also Medvedeva who is much poorer technically but has an exceptional talent in interpretation, musicality and a very charismatic performer.

Nocturne

On the Ice
Rika is my favorite active skater and for me everything she does is exciting. Im not nearly as nervous or invested for any other skater as I am for her when she takes the ice.
Other people dont feel that way, which is fine. But there is no need to tear her down like in this thread.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rika is my favorite active skater and for me everything she does is exciting. Im not nearly as nervous or invested for any other skater as I am for her when she takes the ice.
Other people dont feel that way, which is fine. But there is no need to tear her down like in this thread.

Omg does she give you shot nerves too?

I've loved a few skaters before her and I've always wanted them to do well but for someone so angelic she manages to generate a lot of drama for me when she skates.

I reckon I would enjoy her so much more if I were less invested and didn't freak the crap out everytime she takes to the ice.

I suspect it's because I think she could be everything. She's very much the future of ladies figure skating in my eyes so there is this need for her to fulfill that destiny which totally makes me go crazy.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Maybe she hasn't had the proper program to fit her style yet? Her gala performance at 4CC was very nice.

readernick

Medalist
No one would say "Exciting is Nathan" and claim that they have given a definition.

But one might say "Nathan is exciting" without being "naive."

Anyway, I can't believe that we have a whole thread devoted to trolling Rika Kihira. What purpose does this serve?.

I think the individual who started this thread was hurt when he/she posted on another thread that Rika, wasn't "special" and got a lot of disagreement from other posters who felt that she was... to salvage his/her own ego he/she decided to start this thread .. I guess a whole thread to troll Rika improved that poster's self- esteem.

Other than that, no real purpose to this thread . Some people love Rika's skating, others aren't impressed. The same could be said for any other skater. It seems like posters can't even agree on the meaning of the word "exciting." Perhaps it is time to close this thread?

Anyway, I love Rika's skating and even her "ugly"green dress. Others don't.. enough said..

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think the individual who started this thread was hurt when he/she posted on another thread that Rika, wasn't "special" and got a lot of disagreement from other posters who felt that she was... to salvage his/her own ego he/she decided to start this thread .. I guess a whole thread to troll Rika improved that poster's self- esteem.

Other than that, no real purpose to this thread . Some people love Rika's skating, others aren't impressed. The same could be said for any other skater. It seems like posters can't even agree on the meaning of the word "exciting." Perhaps it is time to close this thread?

Anyway, I love Rika's skating and even her "ugly"green dress. Others don't.. enough said..
Actually I brought it up because I thought Rika is a good example of a 3A inflating the evaluation of the rest of one's skating abilities and was curious if what other people thought about her skating. I like Rika but opinions are what this blog is about. I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings by having an opinion about a skater, Jeez. Lol

randomfan

Record Breaker
Actually I brought it up because I thought Rika is a good example of a 3A inflating the evaluation of the rest of one's skating abilities and was curious if what other people thought about her skating. I like Rika but opinions are what this blog is about. I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings by having an opinion about a skater, Jeez. Lol

Not to go too off-topic, but that’s actually how I personally feel about the three Eteri girls :biggrin::slink: