Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations | Golden Skate

Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
You should put the names of the accused in the title of the thread.

This is truly disgusting. Not only the abuse itself, but then to cover it up and shame the victim. It's horrible and i hope they all get banned or jailed (if the evidence supports it).

The fact that Ashley Wagner opening up about John Coughlin is what led to this being reported is the exact reason why it's important to not minimize other's stories.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
" The girl and her parents allege Zimmerman and Fontana intimidated the girl for several weeks, telling her that she was at fault for receiving the pictures because she was a “pretty girl and men have their needs,” that no one would believe her and that she would be shamed on social media, particularly in France, where Cipres is popular.

Dispenza also allegedly issued a threat. “If I said something, he said I would never skate again,” the girl said. "

Sickening behaviour of adults towards a child. "men have their needs", insinuating an actual assault might be next. Was the girl a pair skater? One 'accidental' drop during a late night private practice session on a throw or lift could leave her crippled for life, a quadriplegic or dead.

Will social media screenshots, posting history etc. stand in a case, or is it the girl's words against three 'respected' adults?

Finding D pics in your PM box is unfortunately very common for girls and women.

sillylionlove29

Rinkside
New USA Today article from Christine Bremen...new sex abuse allegation

You should put the names of the accused in the title of the thread.

This is truly disgusting. Not only the abuse itself, but then to cover it up and shame the victim. It's horrible and i hope they all get banned or jailed (if the evidence supports it).

The fact that Ashley Wagner opening up about John Coughlin is what led to this being reported is the exact reason why it's important to not minimize other's stories.

I tried to change the title but I don’t know how from my phone. :( I’ll try at work when I’m on a regular computer

Mirunna

Record Breaker
As a fan of J/C, I am in totally shock. I hope justice is done and everybody involved will be held accountable for their deeds. The coordinated abuse of so many adults (who are public figures no less) against a child is abominable. I have no other words. As a (young) parent, this news shocked me to my core

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m not sure what to say. I hope there is a full investigation.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am so grateful that the girl's parents and the mandated reporters around her took her seriously, did their jobs and acted to protect her. And that SafeSport is pursuing an investigation as it should.

And I feel so angry and so sick that she has needed protection at all. Let alone from people I had judged to be decent human beings.

ruga

Final Flight
That's insane!!! Especially if the girl has emails as proofs, there will be no way to deny it. I wonder if it's connected to the fact that J/C missed the beginning of this season. The behavior of coaches is also sh*tty. I am wondering how many terrible stories are yet to be told.

macy

Record Breaker
That's insane!!! Especially if the girl has emails as proofs, there will be no way to deny it. I wonder if it's connected to the fact that J/C missed the beginning of this season. The behavior of coaches is also sh*tty. I am wondering how many terrible stories are yet to be told.

i also thought this too. i wonder if Vanessa knew about the whole thing or if it was kept from her. if it was, i feel very sorry for her...this could change her whole career.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What is wrong with these people. The accusations by the victim not only against Cipres but against Silvia and John
are sickening and I hope they are dealt with quickly and efficiently by Safesport.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At least based on the reporting, it doesn’t seem like there’s much ambiguity as to the facts. Zimmerman/Fontana need to be permanently banned from coaching, if so.

Secondary consideration at best next to the victim, but this is going to upend the lives of a lot of athletes too, many of them quite successful recently.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Christine Brennan seems to have left no stone unturned in the report. I'm glad the victim had trusted adults outside of skating that she could turn to but I'm so, so frustrated at the lack of advocates in the sport. John, Silvia, and anyone else at the rink or the federations who knew about what happened and/or tried to cover it up need to be held accountable and banned from the sport.

It should also be noted that a friend of the victim's family reported the incident to SafeSport after reading about how Ashley Wagner came forward about John Coughlin. I hope she knows she's single-handedly making this sport safer.

katymay

Medalist
Before allegations and accusations are flung about, I wish Miss Brennan would wait until an investigation is completed. Lives are ruined by such allegations, and those accused deserve a presumption of innocence unless or until the facts prove otherwise. The allegation presented here constitute a crime, and if true would result in criminal charges, not just a Safe Sport action.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
those accused deserve a presumption of innocence

The presumption of innocence is a principle applicable to the correct proceeding of a criminal trial, not to the release of relevant information for purposes of public safety.

If Cipres, Zimmerman, Fontana and the third coach are innocent of these allegations, well, they're grown adults. They'll survive, one way or another. But one way or another, one thirteen-year-old girl has already had her life, her sport and her future poisoned. What about her innocence, which should have been respected by those grown adults? Why doesn't she deserve the protection offered by Brennan's journalism, and the other young girls at that rink too?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm in shock to be honest. It's true that many girls and women find D picks in their inbox (I share that experience alas), but I tend to think they're from nutters, not from respectable figure skaters. Nor for other people whom I respect to bully a young girl in covering this up. What abominable behaviour from the adults concerned. Yuck!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Before allegations and accusations are flung about, I wish Miss Brennan would wait until an investigation is completed. Lives are ruined by such allegations, and those accused deserve a presumption of innocence unless or until the facts prove otherwise. The allegation presented here constitute a crime, and if true would result in criminal charges, not just a Safe Sport action.

This is true. However, if you read the report, it appears that the existence of the photos is not disputed. Whatever the context is, unless the girl snatched the phone from Morgan himself and send the photos to herself, sending pictures to a 13 year old with you penis is unacceptable in any circumstance. I do hope the investigation will be carried out thoroughly. Clearly a witch hunt against Morgan and the coaches is not desirable.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Is there any dispute about the fact that he sent the photo to a 13 year old?