Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
I may be wrong, but I think, that even if Z/F reported immediately, it would affect their career a lot. So many people can say: you did right, but I don't like scandals, so I prefer not to be close to you.
This problem is much more bigger.

believed

On the Ice
I may be wrong, but I think, that even if Z/F reported immediately, it would affect their career a lot. So many people can say: you did right, but I don't like scandals, so I prefer not to be close to you.

It doesn’t matter. It’s their job to report.

Lota

Record Breaker
Yes, hypocrisy is a problem, but when something like this happens, the reaction of the people surrounding the coaches is already outside of their control, so the only moral thing to do is to report. They cannot undo the thing that happened because it did already happen, sweeping it under the rug is not going to help. If they did report, perhaps it's true that there would be inexplicable backlash from some people, but I think it would also put many people at ease to know that there are adults in the skating rink who care and do not allow these sorts of things to continue under their watch. There are many bad and stupid people in this world who don't care about the consequences of their actions or specifically want to do harm. You cannot control what they do and make sure that everyone is safe at all times. What happened with Morgan was disgusting, but the girls involved were actually failed at least three times. First, by Morgan, then by the coaches - the people who are supposed to care for them - and then now by the general public.

Obviously, people don't want to believe that such a nasty, horrible thing is true. J/C is a well liked team, Zimmerman and Fontana are well liked coaches (I looooved watching Fontana in the kiss&cry with Aymoz, she always looked so incredibly sweet and genuine). And, as several have said, there are cases when false reports are made. Obviously, nobody wants for that to happen. It's horrible when you are accused of something you haven't done and people believe that. Even on a smaller scale, any of us who had rumours spread about us at any point in life know how painful it can be and, indeed, ruining, when false things are spread and people don't believe you. But... imagine the same, only you are a victim. Something horrible has already happened to you, you feel ashamed, you feel that somehow this is your own fault, you just want to forget everything but can't - because it did happen. Finally, you gather the courage to come forward... only for people to shame you and say that this is your own fault if it happened, which it most likely didn't, because you made everything up for... god knows what reason.

Nobody wants to blame people that aren't at fault. An investigation should take place and the people who have done something wrong should be held accountable (whoever is at fault - the accuser or accused). Every case should be treated as something individual, without the bias of other cases where the person in this or that position turned out to be at fault. But in this particular case, this isn't some silly rumour that someone heard from someone who heard it from someone else. It's something that was reported, after two years (two freaking years!) of shame and guilt eating away at these girls. I just hope that investigators truly get to the bottom of this, find the people responsible and that justice prevails.

susanf

Rinkside
Without getting into it, I recently mentioned on Twitter about my experience with a very famous man who attempted to assault me about twenty years ago (but who was interrupted by the sudden appearance of his wife). I did not know him, and he followed me into the ladies bathroom at my job, cornered me against the wall and blocked the exit door. Thank goodness I don't have my "real" name attached to my Twitter account, because I literally received two death threats from "fans" of this man. I can't imagine being a public figure like Ashley and coming forward. This is bravery! I shudder to think if either of those demented fans got hold of my address or phone number..... I feel terrible for these young skaters and their families.

Edited to add: I did not write this as clearly as I meant to ----I think that ANYONE that comes out publicly and tells their story is brave, because they are putting themselves out there.

pesto

On the Ice
Ugh. This is very unpleasant news.

Apart from the obvious nastiness, the sheer stupidity stands out - a lot of the time, harassment cases, whether sexual or not, dissolve into a mess of unprovable "he said, she said", as indeed this one may yet do, WRT the coaches, but to send a dick pic to a 13-year-old? The evidence is right there, and I don't think there is anyway anyone could justify that action.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Wow, so I'm a disgusting victim blamer? Even though I've never said anything remotely resembling that anything was the girl's fault, all my supposition has been based on the possibility that maybe Cipres wasn't at fault or was at fault through negligence/stupidity rather than intentional abuse, and I have always made a concerted effort to show that I am 100% open to the possibility that all of it is true?

I certainly hope that one day, if anyone slamming me faces false allegations, there will be a "disgusting victim blamer" out there who wants all the facts before appointing themselves internet judge, jury, and executioner.

And since people seem to need this spelled out for them and probably still won't believe me anyway: I AM NOT TRYING TO SAY, IN THIS POST OR ANY OTHER, THAT I THINK THESE ALLEGATIONS ARE OR ARE NOT TRUE OR FALSE. I NEVER STATED AN OPINION, ONLY SUPPOSITION.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wow, so I'm a disgusting victim blamer? Even though I've never said anything remotely resembling that anything was the girl's fault, all my supposition has been based on the possibility that maybe Cipres wasn't at fault or was at fault through negligence/stupidity rather than intentional abuse, and I have always made a concerted effort to show that I am 100% open to the possibility that all of it is true?

I certainly hope that one day, if anyone slamming me faces false allegations, there will be a "disgusting victim blamer" out there who wants all the facts before appointing themselves internet judge, jury, and executioner.

And since people seem to need this spelled out for them and probably still won't believe me anyway: I AM NOT TRYING TO SAY, IN THIS POST OR ANY OTHER, THAT I THINK THESE ALLEGATIONS ARE OR ARE NOT TRUE OR FALSE. I NEVER STATED AN OPINION, ONLY SUPPOSITION.

I don't think you are a victim blamer. I work in the legal profession and we have defended such cases.
Nothing is black or white in my profession we always find a gray area, that is what we get paid for

That said I have learned from the Coughlin case that a message board is not a court of law, that this a hot topic among
folks to discuss (for good reasons) and if you go into the gray area you will get called on in.

noskates

Record Breaker
Hanyuufan - you aren't doing anything more than I tried to do by suggesting there might be two sides to this story. Throwing words around like "pedophile" and sexual abuse seems to be a catchall for all types of behavior that even smack of "sexual!" But as was said upthread - this isn't a court of law and phrases and terms can be bandied about at will. I prefer to hear both sides, which does not make me a victim blamer.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Wow, I just realised Fontana is Kevin Aymoz’s coach who looked so chuffed for him during the Grand Prix Final. In my head I was thinking “oh what a lovely caring person she seems to be”. Just goes to show that you never know who people really are (if the allegations against her are indeed true).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
While allegations and two sides of the story are valid suggestions, Cipres jeopardized a whole lot of people’s careers and reputations by doing something that is not hard to figure out is a wrong thing to do and why it is a wrong thing to do —not distributing the snapshots of national treasure to strangers, let alone minors. I hope that next person proudly capturing themselves in a nude selfie thinks about common decency and consequences and elects to do a centrefold instead in a media that is leaning towards mature for those who chose to be interested.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Where is Cipres at the moment actually?
Still in the USA, with the possibility of being arrested and detained?
Or in France, safe from US justice and possible bodily harm?

linps

On the Ice
He was with Vanessa and her family on thanksgiving so i guess USA?

Andrea82

Medalist

James/Cipres are scheduled for an exhibition at a rink in Camargue this Friday. So they may already be in France.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Ah. So it’s now up to French fed to suspend Cipres pending further investigation?

Chances obviously are, he will not return to the US. And if French fed finds no initial wrongdoing, going by Cipres’ words?

Still, very uncomfortable situation for one of their icons, tainted and possibly guilty.

So French fed too must pursue after the truth. Now, will they on their own?

Will ISU issue a temporary suspension pending investigation?

This Safe Sport procedure and any legal court cases can last for many months.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I believe this is untrue. In my case, I report the incident under compete anonymity and the case is passed on to the head coach or higher athority. My name would never have been made public.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
A question: Are coaches mandatory reporters? Here in Canada even as a scout leader I had a legal responsibility to report (and this is back in 1999-2012 period) any acusation by a child against its parents, another leader, or even another youth to the police and the Children's Aid Society.
If coaches are not mandatory reporters in the U.S. then they should be.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A question: Are coaches mandatory reporters? Here in Canada even as a scout leader I had a legal responsibility to report (and this is back in 1999-2012 period) any acusation by a child against its parents, another leader, or even another youth to the police and the Children's Aid Society.
If coaches are not mandatory reporters in the U.S. then they should be.

In Pennsylvania, yes. In Florida, I do not know. It is a matter of state law.

saturdaysun

On the Ice

Don't worry, disgusting victim blamers are literally everywhere on the internet!