Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Just because a source is not named in an article does not mean the journalist did not double check or research their statements beforehand. We all know this. Feigning ignorance over what happens to people who publicly come out against the person who abused or harassed them is a special kind of denial, especially when it concerns famous men being accused of sexual crimes. Victims and accusers do not get any social cache or benefit of the doubt whatsoever, nor do the people who support them.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just because a source is not named in an article does not mean the journalist did not double check or research their statements beforehand. We all know this. Feigning ignorance over what happens to people who publicly come out against the person who abused or harassed them is a special kind of denial, especially when it concerns famous men being accused of sexual crimes. Victims and accusers do not get any social cache or benefit of the doubt whatsoever, nor do the people who support them.

For proof of that, just look at the horrific comments on Ashley’s social media, especially after she first described the incident with John. And of course, the past few years have seen numerous examples of the vilification of accusers who named certain well-known politicians and celebrities.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I believe in innocense until proven guilty. And I believe in supporting the survivor/victim. Everyone has their way of dealing with things. For a survivor I can see why they may come forward or not. Often it is a cost benefit issue. Even if they say they are going forward to prevent it from helping again, teaching the "accused" a lesson really in the end they thought it was better for them to come forward or not. It is hard to know really otherwise their motives.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

In another development, the lawyer for the girl and her family said that after Zimmerman was told about the alleged incident involving Cipres and the girl, he decided to allow Cipres to coach the girl one-on-one the following morning in a regularly scheduled training session. Those training sessions at the rink in Wesley Chapel, Florida went on for an week.

“Even after learning about the disturbing allegations, John Zimmerman continued to allow Morgan Cipres to have contact with this child,” Andrea Lewis told USA TODAY Sports. “That’s just unfathomable.”

While Zimmerman and Fontana were the girl’s official coaches, Cipres occasionally worked with her.

Given the scary accident we have seen in Canada Nationals only a couple of days ago, the veiled threat made to the girl 'you will never skate again' makes me sick. Private one-on-one coaching sessions with Cipres or his 'coverup', this Lenny person .... they probably intimidated the girl or worse.

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
Given the scary accident we have seen in Canada Nationals only a couple of days ago, the veiled threat made to the girl 'you will never skate again' makes me sick. Private one-on-one coaching sessions with Cipres or his 'coverup', this Lenny person .... they probably intimidated the girl or worse.

I haven't followed the pairs - could you tell what sort of accident it was?

I wonder if Kevin Aymoz knew about the new information, the new article etc...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

A young pair has an accident in warmups before their flight, on a horizontal throw lift, the boy suddenly turned away and the girl fell flat on the ice from 2.5 meters. Dazed and stunned for a moment, the pair still competed in the SP. Later the girl was diagnosed with a broken wrist, torn kneecap, bruised face and ribs and broken teeth and had to quit the competition. She might have been even lucky to land on her front, if she'd landed on her back and smashed her skull?

One-on-one private training session with Cipres or this other character Vinny, and a mortal 'accident' without witnesses ... 'you will never skate again'

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
In another development, the lawyer for the girl and her family said that after Zimmerman was told about the alleged incident involving Cipres and the girl, he decided to allow Cipres to coach the girl one-on-one the following morning in a regularly scheduled training session. Those training sessions at the rink in Wesley Chapel, Florida went on for an week.

“Even after learning about the disturbing allegations, John Zimmerman continued to allow Morgan Cipres to have contact with this child,” Andrea Lewis told USA TODAY Sports. “That’s just unfathomable.”

While Zimmerman and Fontana were the girl’s official coaches, Cipres occasionally worked with her.

Reading things like this I’m not sure I would ever feel ok to leave my kid to be coached by anyone, ever.
These things are happening in broad daylight by people who are quite famous and respected. Parents think they can trust them, and then this happens.
Pretty insane. I hope all involved will face consequences.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

The accident in junior pairs at Canadian Nationals was a genuine accident - I can't remember the names of the skaters, but the girl fell from an element in the warmup from a height of close to two metres, and cleared a concussion protocol and proceeded to skate the SP with a broken wrist and kneecap and, it later emerged, other broken bones (I think ribs) as well, and a dislodged tooth, at minimum. She's 13.

It was a genuine accident, but I think I understand what Edwin is saying is that it would not be very difficult for someone to create such an 'accident' for a skater they had a grudge against. I doubt it would be necessary to do that, though: skating is such a politicised sport at all levels that - as in Hollywood - all they'd have needed to do was create a rumour that she was 'difficult to work with' instead.

skatespin

On the Ice

The sequence of events written about in the article is kind of confusing. Morgan wasn't working with the girl for free, he was definitely being paid on the side. Therefore, the girls parents continued to pay him. But if I read the article correctly it claimed that the girl's parents they were already aware of the photos he had sent to her and had informed Zimmerman.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
The timeline is for sure confusing, but my understanding is the parents didn't know any of this was going on for a few weeks, until the girl told her tutor, who then emailed the psychologist, who was the one to tell the girl's parents and the police.

From the original article:

“I received that email,” Bushman said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “I did what I was bound to do ethically. I contacted the parents. I contacted the authorities. I wanted to make sure the child was safe.”

The picture was sent on December 3, while the email from the tutor was sent on December 30 -- which is the same day the girl's mother received that half-assed "apology" from Morgan, as discussed in the second article. Looks like the psychologist acted quickly.

skatespin

On the Ice
The timeline is for sure confusing, but my understanding is the parents didn't know any of this was going on for a few weeks, until the girl told her tutor, who then emailed the psychologist, who was the one to tell the girl's parents and the police.

From the original article:

The picture was sent on December 3, while the email from the tutor was sent on December 30 -- which is the same day the girl's mother received that half-assed "apology" from Morgan, as discussed in the second article. Looks like the psychologist acted quickly.

So are they saying that some other 3rd party informed Zimmerman before her parents even knew? It definitely is a confusing timeline

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The accident in junior pairs at Canadian Nationals was a genuine accident - I can't remember the names of the skaters, but the girl fell from an element in the warmup from a height of close to two metres, and cleared a concussion protocol and proceeded to skate the SP with a broken wrist and kneecap and, it later emerged, other broken bones (I think ribs) as well, and a dislodged tooth, at minimum. She's 13.

It was a genuine accident, but I think I understand what Edwin is saying is that it would not be very difficult for someone to create such an 'accident' for a skater they had a grudge against. I doubt it would be necessary to do that, though: skating is such a politicised sport at all levels that - as in Hollywood - all they'd have needed to do was create a rumour that she was 'difficult to work with' instead.

I saw it on the live stream..it was horrific. but I really don't think there was any politicking involved. Just that something went really wrong during the Warm up. The guy felt so guilty (and that was obvious to anyone watching), and he was so proud of her to continue. A sentimental cry moment for me, when he really supported her courage. I don't know where it went wrong, but it did. Genuine accident. Not like the Latvian couple in the day where the male partner deliberately let his partner fall. Not here. whatever happended, no blame to anyone...in the sense that this was not intentional. Sorry, totally off topic, but I wish to be clear: genuine accident. Horrifying, but nothing to do with politics. I'm not posting anymore about the topic in itself. I get inolved too much on a personal basis.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
So are they saying that some other 3rd party informed Zimmerman before her parents even knew? It definitely is a confusing timeline

Yes the night it happened some kind of meeting took place at the Zimmerman house where they were informed of what happened and they proceeded to intimidate the girl to keep quiet for about three weeks before she told her tutor and then her parents and the police and everyone else found out. Perhaps not a third party though, maybe Vinny or Morgan told them.

EDIT: It was Vinny who told them that day. I missed this in the original article: "Zimmerman and Fontana, who are married to each other, were made aware of the photos in a meeting with Dispenza at their home that evening"

It occurs to me that now we know at least five adults who work in some kind of authoritative capacity at this rink failed this girl. I believe the psychologist is also affiliated with the rink (please correct me if I'm wrong) and she's the only one who did the right thing. So awful. Can't imagine parents still sending their kids there.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as i didn't like seeing Kevin meltdown at Europeans today seeing Silvia with her distraught face in the K&C almost felt like karma.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
As much as i didn't like seeing Kevin meltdown at Europeans today seeing Silvia with her distraught face in the K&C almost felt like karma.

Not when the person who suffered in that instance was Kevin.

Bord

Rinkside
where are james and cipres at europeans. are they not competing? why? (yes, i know i got it wring the first time asking about morgan and cipres - sleep deprivation)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Do you? Because this:

suggests not.

What other motive does a victim need, other than for the world to know the evil that lurks unchecked?

I shouldn't reply because you cut and pasted - very distorted. Read my posts they are consistent support the victim but the accused is still innocent until proven guilty. Don't look for trouble. But it is useless; some people want to see what they want to see. Getting this girl proper help and support must be paramount regardless of what happens to the other players and whatever findings.