Friendly advice for those attending US Nats in San Jose 2021 | Golden Skate

Friendly advice for those attending US Nats in San Jose 2021

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I called the Arena Hotel (next to the whole foods store where the skaters hang out) next to the Arena in San Jose about room availability for US Nationals in a year. They told me a few months ago to call back in Late December (fat chance...they dont know yea olde coyote:thumbsup:...but they did remember my email)

They are now taking reservations that can be canceled up to the day before the event. YOU MUST CALL THEM TO GET RESERVATIONS. 408-294-6500, hit 0 for front desk.:yahoo:

If you book a week or more, the rate is STILL $150 a night, like the last two times we were there, for one king bed. I am sure there will be state and local charges.

The Arena hotel has 89 rooms, IIRC and 89 only. I wonder how long they will last once word gets around?

For me, the advantage of the Arena hotel is its close to the arena and has a whole foods store next door and a CVS or like store on the other side. There is a free breakfast buffet with protein. There are hot tubs in every room.

But there are lots of other nice hotels a half mile away and some inexpensive ones a block or so west of the Arena Hotel.

The ride share that rymes with goober is a great way to go to the secondary venue, which is very nice and very big and very cold. I expect only practices there.
see you there!

noskates

Record Breaker
Hey Chris - my figure skating buddy and I got reservations for the same room we had last time the day the announcement was made!!! Actually there aren't hot tubs in every room but there are kitchenettes and microwaves and small fridges. It's a great place to stay. When you get off the elevators on any floor there are tables and comfy chairs to sit and visit with other skating fans and perhaps have a cocktail or a potato chip. This time I want to meet you!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Chris - my figure skating buddy and I got reservations for the same room we had last time the day the announcement was made!!! Actually there aren't hot tubs in every room but there are kitchenettes and microwaves and small fridges. It's a great place to stay. When you get off the elevators on any floor there are tables and comfy chairs to sit and visit with other skating fans and perhaps have a cocktail or a potato chip. This time I want to meet you!

Would love to meet you! Microwaves and fridges are always a plus. You cant miss me. I will be the guy hovering over the binful of bacon and growling at anyone that comes close!
Cocktails are available in the pharmacy next store or in check bags :agree:
How did you get reservations? They put MOI off till now...you must be special!
Only one year to go...time really flys......

Attachments

• A goldenskate.jpg
    A goldenskate.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 67

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So jealous of you all!

Dont be too jealous! But we shall miss absent friends. We shall have fun for sure but nats isnt what it used to be...oh, the Jr and Sr are still fun for sure.....but something seems to be missing....seeing the novice skaters on the big ice.....? Many of my favorites moving on? Cant quite put my finger on it. If you look at the Greensboro schedule, it appears that they have stretched things out a bit to keep people in the hotel rooms eating at the restaurants....this works in my favor as I can no longer sit in that seat for 15 hours a day...getting too decrepit. But it will be warm and there will be friends and food and adult beverages....and yet....somethings have changed for me over the last ten years and more....it seems so long ago but its all coming back to me now....
I can almost hear the roar of the crowd now.....

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx for the reminder Bloodhound Chris! I will be making my reservation tomorrow for the Arena.. Can't beat the location! See you at breakfast! :rock:

noskates

Record Breaker
My traveling buddy - and best friend - is a travel agent and we've stayed at the Arena at least 3 times for skating competitions. She apparently has a contact, remembered our room number, etc. Also has a contact at SAP center so we usually end up in the same seats. I don't ask - just send a check when the money is due. You'll find us on the 3rd floor outside the elevators hovering over Bombay gin and a jar of olives - chip and dip, etc. We're hoping SAP will still let you take food in because the Whole Foods is a great place to graze for something healthier than the nasty pizzas and hot dogs at the arena.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Got my reservation! $160 per night (plus tax) for a two-person room. Can't beat the location!

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
I live in Berkeley, so I'll be able to take public transportation to the event and won't need a hotel! Just like 2 years ago! Looking forward to it!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes it is. Sorry I'm not Chris but I thought you'd like to know.

Yes it is....but I think its a few moons ago. :laugh2: dont be sorry you are not yea olde coyote. I can't sing and dance and I have a cold! The really scary thing is my 23andME says I am a Heinz 57 who cant sing....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My traveling buddy - and best friend - is a travel agent and we've stayed at the Arena at least 3 times for skating competitions. She apparently has a contact, remembered our room number, etc. Also has a contact at SAP center so we usually end up in the same seats. I don't ask - just send a check when the money is due. You'll find us on the 3rd floor outside the elevators hovering over Bombay gin and a jar of olives - chip and dip, etc. We're hoping SAP will still let you take food in because the Whole Foods is a great place to graze for something healthier than the nasty pizzas and hot dogs at the arena.

As we get closer, we shall have an attendee's thread with excellent info like yours. I consider the free Protein breakfast and the whole foods store next door to be worth alot when choosing the hotels I pick. Arriba627 is a very nice lady and very knowlegable about skating. Andy and Ev the flag jacket people again featured in this month's Skating magazine will be at the Arena Hotel and lots of other nice people. They are easy to tell as they all head for the bacon when I come in for breakfast. :devil:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm thinking we may have to send you a few lbs of bacon pre-Nats so the rest of us can have some......:laugh2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes it is....but I think its a few moons ago. :laugh2: dont be sorry you are not yea olde coyote. I can't sing and dance and I have a cold! The really scary thing is my 23andME says I am a Heinz 57 who cant sing....

KABOOM!!!!!!! :laugh2:

SkateSand

Rinkside
Ya'll are aware the presale is going on right now, right? General tickets go on sale Thursday, January 23rd.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yes....pre sale starts tomorrow. Their pricing is a bit different than last time in SAP Center but it doesn't seem like they've increased the price since the last time. We also confirmed they'll still allow you to bring food in. With Whole Foods only a few blocks away that is really a premium. They did have a few more healthier items at the concession stands during the week last time and a few more vendors open on the weekend BUT......I think the Caesar Salad was $18 and probably made at 03:00 a.m. Yuck. Better than hot dogs, pizza and nachos all week.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I thought the most expensive all-event seats were around $800 in 2018, and now they’re over $1200.

Wondering if anyone knows where the kiss and cry will be located?

noskates

Record Breaker
They're $1200 if you want to sit in the first 4 rows. I'd rather be up higher so you can see both ends of the rink. Our tickets were less than $900 - 18th row, middle ice.

SkateSand

Rinkside
I thought the most expensive all-event seats were around $800 in 2018, and now they’re over $1200.

Wondering if anyone knows where the kiss and cry will be located?

The Kiss & Cry is just below Section 123. Forgot to add I got the Kiss & Cry location from the seating chart on the presale link.

Last edited: