Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zagitova reportedly announced Friday on Russian TV that she will not compete at the national championships later this month, nor apply for a spot on the Russian team for the European Championships in January or the world championships in March.

More...

Best wishes to Alina going forward. Nothing to be sad about, really. Nothing is forever. She achieved everything there is to achieve in figure skating. If she returns to competition at a later date, good for her. If she doesn't ... good for her.

Beautiful and accomplished, she will have many opportunities as a performer and commercial spokesperson. :love:

Last edited:

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
She will be back if/when she learns a quad and/or a triple axel. She’s not going to skate just to lose and not make Euros and Worlds. She’s fully capable of learning a quad, so she will probably be back. It may just take some time.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Math and I think she should just rest on her laurels and get on with the rest of her life. When things like this take place I always wonder if she was pressured to bow out because the little jumping beans were surpassing her. I just wonder how long those tiny bodies can hold up under the strain of landing quads right and left. I hope she's okay and best wishes to her.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Much love to Alina. May she have a productive and fun time skating in the ice shows, earn plenty of money with her talent and charm, and fingers crossed for her learning the high-power jumps to come back to competitive skating. Or best of luck in other future endeavours.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Kind of expected but not so soon. As a fan I am somewhat disappointed but I am happy because it is probably the best decision.There is very little motivation to continue in the current situation because she has won everything, much more so than Adelina.

Bentley

Rinkside
Best wishes to Alina going forward. Nothing to be sad about, really. Nothing is forever. She achieved everything there is to achieve in figure skating. If she returns to competition at a later date, good for her. If she doesn't ... good for her.

Beautiful and accomplished, she will have many opportunities as a performer and commercial spokesperson. :love:

She pushed the Envelope in the Olympics and did things no one did before. But that is all part of life, there always is someone who is going to come along and do it better. I will miss seeing this beautiful skater in the competitions but she is doing what is best for her. Well said Mathman!

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
Spare the obituaries. She’s only taking a break from competition. She’ll try to learn the quads/triple axel in the meantime.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Alina is in fact retiring, that's far from an obituary. She has won everything you can win, she has a devoted fan base, and a bright future ahead of her no matter what she decides to do.

She may decide to train "more revolution" jumps. Or she may not. She will make the decision that is best for her, and best wishes to her whatever that is.:agree:

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Not a shock at all, but I’m sure a relief for her. Good luck to Alina. Much respect for all you’ve done and how far you’ve come.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I admire her for sticking it out last season after already winning the Olympics. She had quite a few disappointing finishes last year that could have derailed her, but she stayed tough and was able to win the biggest event of the season. Since 1988, only Yuna managed to win Worlds after winning the OGM so it's not an easy feat.

noskates

Record Breaker
Allow me to pose a question - how many of the little Russian jumping beans are actually going to still be competing in 2022. Just asking..................

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
Allow me to pose a question - how many of the little Russian jumping beans are actually going to still be competing in 2022. Just asking..................

If you’re talking about who I think you’re talking about, the answer is all of them.

You’re welcome.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I think Alina Zagitova will be competing at the Olympics in 2022.
(But I don't think she qualifies as a little jumping bean anymore)

Anyway, a lot of things can happen between now and then.
So you never know.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I think all of them will be competing as that is only two years and most Eteri girls have maintained consistent level of competitiveness for at least 3 years. One thing we can say they will have competition from the current juniors who turn senior and nothing is a lock. We have no idea whose going to comprise the olympic team. Zagitova could return to competition strong after some time off, some people get that competitive drive strong and really go for it again. None of these girls are going to have the exact same story.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Zagitova said: “I’m not leaving the sport. But I will not participate in the Russian championships.” I guess it is a strategic move as she is likely to stop short of making the top three. She also skipped the the GPF gala exhibition, citing injuries. Zagitova may not be physically 100% to compete in the Russian championships later this month.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think Alina Zagitova will be competing at the Olympics in 2022.
(But I don't think she qualifies as a little jumping bean anymore)

Anyway, a lot of things can happen between now and then.
So you never know.

I am one of those who think Zagitova will continue to compete. Her jumps were not failing her this season, it was clear the grand prix final long program was due to something else going on and that she was in pain because it was uncharacteristic. She's a talented young lady, if she returns to competition in the future she could be the dark horse no one sees coming. Never count her out. People have been trying to retire her since her win at the Olympics and she's stayed relevant and continued to win major competitions since then.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I hope she is happy with whatever decision she makes, whether that is a return to competitive skating after a break, just participating in skating shows, or not skating at all. I will say that I am sad about this however as I think there was so much room for growth in her skating, artistically and technically and 17 is so young to be done with skating. And with the way Russia is with it's conveyor belt of jumping beans, I am sceptical about whether Alina would ever be able to break back into the competitive circuit in her country if she took an extended break. So the fact she could be done competitively forever is a real shame for me :(

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
I admire her for sticking it out last season after already winning the Olympics. She had quite a few disappointing finishes last year that could have derailed her, but she stayed tough and was able to win the biggest event of the season. Since 1988, only Yuna managed to win Worlds after winning the OGM so it's not an easy feat.

I honestly don't think she will return to competition, but who knows?