Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I honestly don't think she will return to competition, but who knows?

The GPF medalists will all be 17 or 18 in 2022, in other words as old or older than Alina now. They will have a lot of ups and downs between now and then. There are also Kamila, Liza, and maybe another couple who might be doing quads at that time. It's not out of the question that a few of those women see a decline in their consistency and open up a spot for the taking. I do think that, to take advantage of such an opportunity, Alina will have to be better than she's been the last couple of years though.

thedude

On the Ice
Allow me to pose a question - how many of the little Russian jumping beans are actually going to still be competing in 2022. Just asking..................

There will be jumping beans ... but they're going to have different names.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Allow me to pose a question - how many of the little Russian jumping beans are actually going to still be competing in 2022. Just asking..................

I am truly sad to see her go, especially in her prime and so much potential, still. Perhaps a return someday, hopefully.

And oh Caroline, Yuna, Mao, Ashley, Kaetlyn and others, respect for your accomplishments over many years of skating. It does take a toil no doubt, and as fans we respect and miss you daily!

katymay

Medalist

I don't think so either. I think she will do commercials, and shows, and enjoy life too much to return to hard core training. She has won everything there is to win, now it is time for her to reap the rewards of all that work.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Good luck to Alina, I hope she can be happy and rest well ...and that what ever it is she decides to do from now on, it is her OWN choice.
:pray:
-Oops, clicked on the wrong emoji! used the sarcasm one instead of the praying hands. :drama:

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Okay - we'll see!!! I honestly hope I don't have occasion to say "I told you so!" And do hope Alina follows her heart - wherever that may take her.

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
Okay - we'll see!!! I honestly hope I don't have occasion to say "I told you so!" And do hope Alina follows her heart - wherever that may take her.

Why would you think that way, anyway? They’re a lot stronger and more athletic than you think they are (Sasha especially, who is a freak athlete and deceptively powerful). The false notion that some had that only prepubescent girls are capable of doing quads was already destroyed by Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. It’ll be destroyed by these so-called jumping beans, too. And maybe Alina soon ;)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Best of luck to Alina moving forward. Honestly, if she's wanted to take a break for this long, this step back is probably for the best. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder, so hopefully we see her back in time.

Seruleane

Final Flight
For those of us who don't understand Russian and want to know more of what Alina said:

https://fs-gossips.com/alina-zagitova-i-know-the-price-of-victory/

I thought this part was very interesting: "I even wrote myself an official promise that I promise to go to competitions, to Worlds: I undertake to skate well and do everything in my power to perform at this competition. Federation even has it. Then I wrote a promise that I would perform at the Japan Open and two Grand Prix. I did it. Since I’ve written, I kept my promise. Since I haven’t written about Grand Prix Final, I did not have such motivation. Now I’m not ready to write the next promise yet. Because I do everything that I write. At the moment I am not ready to go to the Russian Nationals."

It's interesting that that the Russian Fed had these promises. That does suggest to me that there was tremendous pressure on her from the federation last year to continue competing and to get results, even when she may have been lacking in motivation and fatigued after her Olympic victory. It kind of reminds me of Yuna Kim who had to keep competing for South Korea because there was no one else who could get the results. This year, now that Russian Fed has the 3A, Alina no longer had to make these promises. She and her team probably thought they could take things easier this year, hence the simplified jump layout, and just compete "for fun" but of course there is no such thing as "competing for fun" especially against the 3A, and especially for an Olympic and World Champion. Well, I hope she rests up, and really is able to skate "for fun" now. I can't wait to see her in shows next year. If and when she does come back to compete, I will still be cheering for her!

Seruleane

Final Flight
End of Eteri cycle no.3 and onto cycle no.4.

Well, it's easy for you and TSL to say that now, but at the beginning of the year during test skates, TSL was legitimately impressed at her performance, and as I recall, so were many of her detractors. The jumps were easy and she seemed very confident. I believe that was why so many people including TSL put her high in their rankings. As I recall, they had Alina and Sasha as the locks for the World Team. Obviously, things change in the season, and that's why predictions early in the season are basically meaningless. But, I think it's funny that people like you and TSL are basically saying you called it early on, when in fact, you didn't.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Well, it's easy for you and TSL to say that now, but at the beginning of the year during test skates, TSL was legitimately impressed at her performance, and as I recall, so were many of her detractors. The jumps were easy and she seemed very confident. I believe that was why so many people including TSL put her high in their rankings. As I recall, they had Alina and Sasha as the locks for the World Team. Obviously, things change in the season, and that's why predictions early in the season are basically meaningless. But, I think it's funny that people like you and TSL are basically saying you called it early on, when in fact, you didn't.

In fairness to the OP, they probably HAVE felt like this all along.
Because of what happened with Yulia and Evgenia.
And what could be construed as happening now.

But TSL certainly was singing a different tune after the test skates.
And now he smugly wants to tell all his followers "I told you so"
He should have stuck with his story-line from last season.

Well, it really doesn't matter what he thinks anyway.
I'm 100% sure whatever decision Alina Zagitova makes will not be influenced by Dave Lease.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
I think the next time we hear from her is her decision to retire, sadly. so sad that in Russia, you're #1 or you dont deserve to skate.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
For those of us who don't understand Russian and want to know more of what Alina said:

I thought this part was very interesting: "I even wrote myself an official promise that I promise to go to competitions, to Worlds: I undertake to skate well and do everything in my power to perform at this competition. Federation even has it. Then I wrote a promise that I would perform at the Japan Open and two Grand Prix. I did it. Since I’ve written, I kept my promise. Since I haven’t written about Grand Prix Final, I did not have such motivation. Now I’m not ready to write the next promise yet. Because I do everything that I write. At the moment I am not ready to go to the Russian Nationals."

It's interesting that that the Russian Fed had these promises. That does suggest to me that there was tremendous pressure on her from the federation last year to continue competing and to get results, even when she may have been lacking in motivation and fatigued after her Olympic victory. It kind of reminds me of Yuna Kim who had to keep competing for South Korea because there was no one else who could get the results. This year, now that Russian Fed has the 3A, Alina no longer had to make these promises. She and her team probably thought they could take things easier this year, hence the simplified jump layout, and just compete "for fun" but of course there is no such thing as "competing for fun" especially against the 3A, and especially for an Olympic and World Champion. Well, I hope she rests up, and really is able to skate "for fun" now. I can't wait to see her in shows next year. If and when she does come back to compete, I will still be cheering for her!

She has also picked up a lot of endorsements since the Olympics and even over the course of last season. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure to compete to satisfy those contracts as well.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

I am not TSL nor did I put EVER Zagitova high in my rankings, so don't go lumping people together just because you're aggrieved the end result didn't turn out to be what you wanted.

I've been anticipating this cycle since she won Olys two years ago.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I am not TSL nor did I put EVER Zagitova high in my rankings, so don't go lumping people together just because you're aggrieved the end result didn't turn out to be what you wanted.

I've been anticipating this cycle since she won Olys two years ago.

That's cool. Good for you.

SkatingFan9

On the Ice

You’re reading too much into that. There is always pressure and expectations, but nobody was forcing Alina to perform.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Good luck, Alina!

Personally, I've been suspecting all along that there's some kind of injury or growth-spurt-related problem going on given that her posture still isn't what it was in Pyeongchang and before. I pray that if that's what's going on, it's treatable and she's back in top form soon.

I hope she has fun in the shows, where presumably she can backload to her heart's content if she wants. (Not that she'd need to obviously, but despite popular opinion, there are a few of us out there who were impressed by the athleticism and appreciative of the uniqueness of those programs. (raises hand))

rain

Record Breaker

The problem in a nutshell. To me, Zagitova came nowhere near what she could have been as a skater had she actually been allowed to mature artistically. There is no way she will ever come back to competition unless the age limit changes, which can't happen fast enough for me.

Amei

Record Breaker

As of right now I think we need take her for her word that she plans right now to come back and compete - but that's easier said than done I know there have been some skaters who have take season(s) off and not competed or barely competed, but none of those countries at the time came close to the competition level of Russian ladies skating (at every level) right now and it doesn't show a sign of slowing down.