Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova announces break from figure skating competition

mikeko666

Final Flight
Alena needs a new coach who can guide a skater with a mature woman's body. It was a right decision for Evgenia to move to Order. How about Tom Zakrajsek?

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Alena needs a new coach who can guide a skater with a mature woman's body. It was a right decision for Evgenia to move to Order. How about Tom Zakrajsek?
:drama:
You need to have her new coach. It's not what she wants ;)
Time and again I am amazed at how ignorant or egoistic people can be. For any more or less perceptive fan of Alina it was painfully clear two seasons already that she is extremelly tired from figure skating - if not hating it already. They were practically forcing her to train - to get at least bearable level of results. It has nothing to do with body.
Any coach will need to force her to do anything now - and if not - she will show the same results as Konstantinova or Sotskova showed. Who, I suspect, having much more caring training regime than Eteri usually have. Any true Zagitova's fan will be happy for her now - as she is able to be free from hellish work everyday and get what she wants in life. And it clearly is not figure skating. And for true fan - his idol needs are more important than his own needs (to watch his idol in competitions).

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I thought her hiatus/retirement was inevitable given her jump content compared to her training mates, though I expected it to be later than now. I'm not sure if her free skate was a fluke with all the under-rotations, but she will need to clean that up and then learn a 3A or quad to keep up. Tuktamesheva is already on this track so we might see Zagitova back with the technical power. Either way, she's won everything she really needs to in this sport and has very little to prove.

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
:drama:
You need to have her new coach. It's not what she wants ;)
Time and again I am amazed at how ignorant or egoistic people can be. For any more or less perceptive fan of Alina it was painfully clear two seasons already that she is extremelly tired from figure skating - if not hating it already. They were practically forcing her to train - to get at least bearable level of results. It has nothing to do with body.
Any coach will need to force her to do anything now - and if not - she will show the same results as Konstantinova or Sotskova showed. Who, I suspect, having much more caring training regime than Eteri usually have. Any true Zagitova's fan will be happy for her now - as she is able to be free from hellish work everyday and get what she wants in life. And it clearly is not figure skating. And for true fan - his idol needs are more important than his own needs (to watch his idol in competitions).

Nobody was forcing her to train, though. It’s what she wanted to be doing. It’s also what she’ll still be doing (albeit with less pressure) while she’s taking a break from competitive skating, including attempting to learn quads.

Alina is too accomplished to be skating only to lose. Let’s be clear: nobody likes to lose, but especially not someone who has won everything there is to win. Other skaters are chasing the top. She has already been to the top. She knows that her current best isn’t enough to even medal at important competitions. She knows she won’t even be on the Euros and Worlds team. She can either skate with what she has and keep losing, or take a break and look to come back much stronger. She chose the latter. You will see.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised by this move at all.

I think Alina saw the writing on the wall with the results of the GPF, and realized she's already a World and Olympic champion, and felt that (for now) it's best to leave.

Will she come back with bigger jumps? I guess that's up to her and how confident she is with the way her body will handle the stress. I may be wrong, but she's had her share of injuries (nothing major that I can recall, but a few minor ones) and she may not be willing to take that risk.

It makes me wonder about longevity for Russian women in the sport. If large numbers of young Russian women can cleanly land quads, they may be out after winning one Olympic medal, rather than make it look like their in a state of decline by being beaten by a younger competitor.

Meanwhile, other women from other countries will continue to stay with the sport in the effort to win a medal.

Not to go off topic, but I often wonder about the toll of these quads is doing to the bodies of both the women and men. Yes, they're young and healthy now, but what problems are they going to experience after they leave the sport, after having pounded their hips and knees with multiple quads year after year?

starla16

Medalist
I'm not surprised by this move at all.

I think Alina saw the writing on the wall with the results of the GPF, and realized she's already a World and Olympic champion, and felt that (for now) it's best to leave.

Will she come back with bigger jumps? I guess that's up to her and how confident she is with the way her body will handle the stress. I may be wrong, but she's had her share of injuries (nothing major that I can recall, but a few minor ones) and she may not be willing to take that risk.

It makes me wonder about longevity for Russian women in the sport. If large numbers of young Russian women can cleanly land quads, they may be out after winning one Olympic medal, rather than make it look like their in a state of decline by being beaten by a younger competitor.

Meanwhile, other women from other countries will continue to stay with the sport in the effort to win a medal.

Not to go off topic, but I often wonder about the toll of these quads is doing to the bodies of both the women and men. Yes, they're young and healthy now, but what problems are they going to experience after they leave the sport, after having pounded their hips and knees with multiple quads year after year?

there are exceptions Med is stilla round and Tuk who has been in seniors since 2012 and still upgrading technically.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there are exceptions Med is stilla round and Tuk who has been in seniors since 2012 and still upgrading technically.

Yes, they are still around, and neither have won an OGM. I believe that if Med had won the gold that was given to Alina, she would be the one retiring, and Alina would still be in the sport.

I think most skaters stick around for the hope of winning an OGM, but realistically, every skater isn't going to win one.

Michelle Kwan made it through 3 Olympic cycles, and never won OGM. I just think (and it's my opinion only, I'm just a fan and not involved in the skating world) that some skaters will see all those that have great success with their quads, and perhaps assess what their chances are, and consider bowing out.

If America had three men who all skated like Nathan Chen, perhaps Jason Brown would be giving his situation more thought.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Of course it's a saddening announcement, knowing the circumstances and the pressure she is under - not to mention it's all too soon. But she has really achieved what there is to achieve. Wishing her the best no matter whether she will come back or not.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I wish Alina good luck and best health in her break from competitive figure skating. If she will come back, may she come back stronger and happy. If she won't, I wish her the best in life, to explore and learn things other than figure skating and to find happiness in whatever she chooses to do. Also, to have more chances to earn a good amount of money to support her future. Come on, brands! Give Alina more endorsements!

Not a lot can accomplish what she has done. Winning everything and competing in an era of high technical difficulty and most of those are her rinkmates. I can't imagine the pressure of training with skaters who can do multiple quads. I think it is smart to rest and heal given the situation with the 3As. May we see more of Alina in any way we can (competition, shows, or commercials).

You are well loved, Alina. <3 <3 <3

Azikin

Medalist
It's understandable. She probably doesn't feel like competing with 3A at the Nationals for Euros and Worlds spots, so why not take a break? But Nationals won't be the same without her, that's for sure..

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Alina may work on big jumps. If she is a success she may continue. If she is not she will likely retire. Without those she won't beat any of 3A - it has become cristal clear. And Valieva follows them to be age legitimate for the Olympics. With 3 only rule why bother if the chances to get into the team are minimal? It's very different from Yuna, Caro, or Kaetlyn returns: they returned to a desert - Alina will have to return to the ocean.

The big question is whether she will find motivation to learn big jumps. She is no longer 12. And she is not as hungry and angry as Liza now.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
https://tass.com/sport/1099391 in English.

The full interview is on YT here (in Russian, but you can switch on auto-subs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxByWstqTE

I suppose Alina will stay away from the press for a while, to recompose herself, and to not take away attention from the contestants competing in the National Championships.

Perhaps there will be an interview with Emma Gadzhiyeva later, I'd really like that.

TAT in her commentary as always draws back attention to herself, me this, me that, which I dismiss.

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Wishing Alina all the best! I was so sad when I heard we wouldn’t see her competing for the rest of the season, she has something unique in her skating that always catches my attention. I really hope she will get her motivation back and return to competitions. If not I hope she finds something that makes her happy.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I saw this coming, but I will miss her...even if it is just this season she is out of.
She deserves a break after all her hard work!

Put your feet up for a while, Alina :)

also understand her motivation struggles, not many skaters continue after they've already won everything...and those who do are overtaken by fresh new talents.

If she comes back that's great but if she doesn't that's her decision and whatever makes Alina happy makes me happy for her.

Gabby30

On the Ice
I am one of those who think Zagitova will continue to compete. Her jumps were not failing her this season, it was clear the grand prix final long program was due to something else going on and that she was in pain because it was uncharacteristic. She's a talented young lady, if she returns to competition in the future she could be the dark horse no one sees coming. Never count her out. People have been trying to retire her since her win at the Olympics and she's stayed relevant and continued to win major competitions since then.

How many major competitions did she won after the Olympics? I think it was only one 😂 Someone who won "everything" only one time is a typical one hit wonder. The only thing "special" about her was that she did all jumps in the second half of the program when she was 15. That's all. Relevant? No. Memorable? Not at all. Her time is over

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
How many major competitions did she won after the Olympics? I think it was only one �� Someone who won "everything" only one time is a typical one hit wonder. The only thing "special" about her was that she did all jumps in the second half of the program when she was 15. That's all. Relevant? No. Memorable? Not at all. Her time is over

Rude!

Seriously?

Why do people feel the need to bash skaters so much?

She won Junior Worlds/GPF

Senior GPF, Russian Nationals, Euros, Olympics and Worlds.

Last season despite post-Olympic pressure, puberty and other issues she won both her GP assignments, a GPF Silver, Euros silver and a World Title. This season she won medals at both her GP assignments and made the final despite lack of motivation and tough competition.

That is not being a one hit wonder, by any definition. Those were won over a period of around 3 years!

Medalling counts as winning, you win a medal, even if you don't win overall.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
How many major competitions did she won after the Olympics? I think it was only one 😂 Someone who won "everything" only one time is a typical one hit wonder. The only thing "special" about her was that she did all jumps in the second half of the program when she was 15. That's all. Relevant? No. Memorable? Not at all. Her time is over

Ladies' post-OGM competitive careers since 1984:

Katarina Witt: OGM 1984 at the age of 18. Won worlds 1984,85,87, defended her european title 1985-88, won the OGM 1988, defended her world title same year. Retired. Comeback for the olympics 1994 where she placed 7th. Allegedly she wanted to give her family the chance to watch her compete live, which they were not allowed to do in the GDR era. Retired afterwards.

Kristi Yamaguchi: OGM 1992 at the age of 20. Defended her world title same year, retired afterwards.

Oksana Baiul: OGM 1994 at the age of 16. Retired immediately.

Tara Lipinski: OGM 1998 at the age of 15. Withdrew from worlds same year, retired shortly after.

Sarah Hughes: OGM 2002 at the age of 16. Skipped worlds same year, 6th Place at worlds 2003, retired afterwards.

Shizuka Arakawa: OGM 2006 at the age of 24. Retired immediately.

Yuna Kim: OGM 2010 at the age of 19. 2nd place at worlds same year (7th place in SP). Skipped all competitions except worlds 2011 (2nd place) and 2013 (1st place). OSM 2014 (controversal). Retired afterwards.

Adelina Sotnikova: OGM 2014 (controversal) at the age of 17. Withdrew from worlds and GP same year. In 2015 she placed 2nd at CS Mordovian Ornament, 3rd at GP Rostelecom and 6th at CS Golden Spin. Did not compete since.

Alina Zagitova: OGM 2018 at the age of 15. 5th place at worlds same year (7th place in FS). Won CS Nebelhorn, GP Finland, GP Rostelecom 2018, 2nd place at GPF 2018. In 2019 2nd place Euros, 1st place worlds, 2nd place GP France, 3rd place GP NHK, 6th place GPF. Announced a break from competitions afterwards.

It seems that winning the OGM is always a turning point in a ladies' career, and it tends to be short afterwards. Both Yuna and Alina have named a lack of motivation after reaching this point. For Alina, it may have been the world title that kept her going. Her post-OGM career looks pretty long and successful when compared to her "peers", particularly Oksana, Tara and Sarah who also won the olympics very young.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
You write out lits of competions Alina competed in.... but for example Oksana won Worlds too and silvet at Europeans. Most of them competed at grand prix and have medals from other competions...

Big Deal

Final Flight
Good decision. She won everything in the gold producing impersonalized fabrik, where NOBODY survived the age of 17 remanining succesful. She deserves much more in her life to enjoy that than the sour face of her coach when she won Olympics an 1,5 years later when she could not pull herself together anymore...... Have a great life!