Curious about what Radius of Hollow you skate on :) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Curious about what Radius of Hollow you skate on :)

Nimyue

On the Ice
Curious how many of us on 3/8 skate on Hockey ice that is super hard and how many on 1/2 have proper figure skating softer ice.

I'm on 3/8 and every rink we skate on the ice is just super super hard. I have major sliding issues when my blades dull. however, in the summer they are almost too grippy because the rinks let the ice be softer for us.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
1/2 on softer ice. But I distinctly remember a session over the summer where the ice was super hard and I felt like I was going to fall every time I moved. This was just after I returned to skating and it made me so nervous I left after 15 minutes.

1111bm

Final Flight
I use 7/16" on my Coronation Aces and find it suitable for both dance and freestyle at my level (Bronze-ish).

Interesting, I was wondering what kind of a sharpening ice dancers prefer. Because sometimes it sounds like some people need more grip for higher level jumps, so that made me curious about what is preferred amongst those who focus on footwork.

Curious how many of us on 3/8 skate on Hockey ice that is super hard and how many on 1/2 have proper figure skating softer ice.

Yeah, there's one rink with hockey ice in my town, and it's really a pain, so I tend to avoid that particular rink. Even with a freshly sharpened 1/2" radius I feel totally unstable. Although I can counteract that somewhat with a more pronounced knee bend, but it's still unsettling.
And obviously when temperatures drop below zero (Celcius ;)) the ice of our outside rink gets way too hard as well, but that comes with the territory.

however, in the summer they are almost too grippy because the rinks let the ice be softer for us.

Yeah, as much as I hate hard ice, ice that's too soft or even melting on the surface feels unpleasant too, and can be quite risky to skate on (god I sound so fussy :laugh:).

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And obviously when temperatures drop below zero (Celcius ;)) the ice of our outside rink gets way too hard as well, but that comes with the territory.

Yeah, as much as I hate hard ice, ice that's too soft or even melting on the surface feels unpleasant too, and can be quite risky to skate on ....

On the Celsius (C) scale, the freezing point of water/melting point of ice is 0 degrees C. So if the outdoor temp is just below 0 degrees C, the ice will be very soft and slushy, likely with puddling in spots. Now, if the temperature drops below 0 degrees Fahrenheit (F), the ice will indeed be very hard (freezing point of water/melting point of ice is 32 degrees F; 0 degrees F would be almost -18 degrees C).

1111bm

Final Flight
On the Celsius (C) scale, the freezing point of water/melting point of ice is 0 degrees C. So if the outdoor temp is just below 0 degrees C, the ice will be very soft and slushy, likely with puddling in spots. Now, if the temperature drops below 0 degrees Fahrenheit (F), the ice will indeed be very hard (freezing point of water/melting point of ice is 32 degrees F; 0 degrees F would be almost -18 degrees C).

Um, you do realise that they are cooling the ice from beneath and don't rely on the outside temperature? So no, the ice at that particular rink is best at about 3-8 °C outside temperature, and starts getting too hard when the temperature is below zero.
It starts getting slushy when it's above 12 °C, especially when the sun is shining or there's a warm wind blowing across the ice surface.

The same way the temperature in inside rinks is not below 0 °C either (except at ice level or below, obviously), yet the ice is not slushy.

It also makes a difference in the texture of the ice surface, when they're resurfacing the ice and applying water, when the cold is not only coming from beneath it (and has to permeate through the whole layer of ice first, depending on it's thickness of course) but also from above i.e. when the surrounding air is also below zero °C and is cooling additionally from above.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Um, you do realise that they are cooling the ice from beneath and don't rely on the outside temperature? So no, the ice at that particular rink is best at about 3-8 °C outside temperature, and starts getting too hard when the temperature is below zero.
It starts getting slushy when it's above 12 °C, especially when the sun is shining or there's a warm wind blowing across the ice surface.

The same way the temperature in inside rinks is not below 0 °C either (except at ice level or below, obviously), yet the ice is not slushy.

It also makes a difference in the texture of the ice surface, when they're resurfacing the ice and applying water, when the cold is not only coming from beneath it (and has to permeate through the whole layer of ice first, depending on it's thickness of course) but also from above i.e. when the surrounding air is also below zero °C and is cooling additionally from above.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about outdoor rinks without artificial cooling. In my area during the winter, some structures are simply flooded with water, and Nature takes her course to create artificial frozen ponds.

fairyring

Rinkside
My sharpener has me on a 3/4” radius and it’s all I’ve ever skated on since starting out.

I’m an adult skater, currently trying to get to the Pre-Bronze level, with Aspire blades. I have the feeling that I’m the only one at my rink that uses this ROH, but the guy who sharpens my skates seems to think they’re fine and I can still skate in them, so I guess it works? I do wonder if my spins will magically get better if I change the blades I use, or get a smaller radius—or would that be a crutch for improving technique?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My sharpener has me on a 3/4” radius and it’s all I’ve ever skated on since starting out.

I’m an adult skater, currently trying to get to the Pre-Bronze level, with Aspire blades. I have the feeling that I’m the only one at my rink that uses this ROH, but the guy who sharpens my skates seems to think they’re fine and I can still skate in them, so I guess it works? I do wonder if my spins will magically get better if I change the blades I use, or get a smaller radius—or would that be a crutch for improving technique?
As mentioned in previous posts, the only way to find out is to experiment. Why don't you go down to a 5/8" ROH and see how it feels? If there's an improvement, you could then try out 1/2" ROH. If you find that your skating deteriorates with 5/8", however, you could up it slightly to 11/16", before going back to 3/4" if needed.

The Aspire is a low-level blade with a relatively flat spin rocker. If you're working with a coach, ask her whether you should upgrade to a blade with a more pronounced spin rocker (rounder, smaller spin rocker radius). Again, personal preference is a strong factor in such choices.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Definitely upgrade your blades. MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace. Just be aware they are a 7 ft rocker and your Aspires are 8ft rocker, both have crosscut picks like your Aspire though so you should be good there.

Good luck!

fairyring

Rinkside
As mentioned in previous posts, the only way to find out is to experiment. Why don't you go down to a 5/8" ROH and see how it feels? If there's an improvement, you could then try out 1/2" ROH. If you find that your skating deteriorates with 5/8", however, you could up it slightly to 11/16", before going back to 3/4" if needed.

The Aspire is a low-level blade with a relatively flat spin rocker. If you're working with a coach, ask her whether you should upgrade to a blade with a more pronounced spin rocker (rounder, smaller spin rocker radius). Again, personal preference is a strong factor in such choices.

I might try that, since my sharpener mentioned changing the ROH used once I start learning single jumps. None of the coaches I've worked with mentioned anything regarding my skates, so I'm inclined to believe my spin issues are due to my technique, but I'll ask them. :)

Definitely upgrade your blades. MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace. Just be aware they are a 7 ft rocker and your Aspires are 8ft rocker, both have crosscut picks like your Aspire though so you should be good there.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm definitely thinking about it. I'd like to upgrade both the boot and blade next time though, and I'm not sure my current skill level justifies the higher level skates quite yet. But those are the ones I'm definitely considering!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I might try that, since my sharpener mentioned changing the ROH used once I start learning single jumps. None of the coaches I've worked with mentioned anything regarding my skates, so I'm inclined to believe my spin issues are due to my technique, but I'll ask them. :)

Thanks! I'm definitely thinking about it. I'd like to upgrade both the boot and blade next time though, and I'm not sure my current skill level justifies the higher level skates quite yet. But those are the ones I'm definitely considering!

What boots and what is your skill level? I could probably help you sort the boot decision out.

fairyring

Rinkside
What boots and what is your skill level? I could probably help you sort the boot decision out.

Thanks for helping! I'm currently skating in Jackson Freestyles, and my skill level is probably closest to USFSA Freeskate 2-3. I can currently do single toe loop and salchow, and my goals are to learn single loop and flip next year so I can compete in US Adult PreBronze. I feel like if I can do that, it would make sense to move to a higher level boot. (Also, if it's any help, I'm 110lbs.)

My rinkmates suggested Coronation Ace blades to help with my spins (which I care more about than jumping), but a part of me feels like that would kind of be like, cheating almost? My coach tells me that closing my hip on my free leg will solve all my spin problems, so lol.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for helping! I'm currently skating in Jackson Freestyles, and my skill level is probably closest to USFSA Freeskate 2-3. I can currently do single toe loop and salchow, and my goals are to learn single loop and flip next year so I can compete in US Adult PreBronze. I feel like if I can do that, it would make sense to move to a higher level boot. (Also, if it's any help, I'm 110lbs.)

My rinkmates suggested Coronation Ace blades to help with my spins (which I care more about than jumping), but a part of me feels like that would kind of be like, cheating almost? My coach tells me that closing my hip on my free leg will solve all my spin problems, so lol.

You need to get out of Rec level skates. You need to look at least to a Debut Fusion boot and you may be able to get away with a Premiere Fusion 2800 model boot. Now, the Premier Fusion may be too much boot for you at your weight, but it may last you longer and take you into beginner doubles. Debut Fusion would definitely work for you at the least. I'd pair your boot with the Coronation Ace blade and no it's not cheating. You need this level of boot and blade for what you are doing and want to achieve. (I loved jumping the most too.;) )

Good luck! If you have any more specific questions you can come to my inbox since this is kind of off-topic for this thread, but I wanted to answer you where you posted. :)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My rinkmates suggested Coronation Ace blades to help with my spins (which I care more about than jumping), but a part of me feels like that would kind of be like, cheating almost?

Huh??? :scratch2:
You owe it to yourself to buy and use the best equipment you can afford and is appropriate for your level. And that's true in any sport!
Coronation Ace is a commonly used good blade. Check out the recommendations Ic3Rabbit mentioned, go see a good skate technician and give yourself an upgrade. It's time!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Huh??? :scratch2:
You owe it to yourself to buy and use the best equipment you can afford and is appropriate for your level. And that's true in any sport!
Coronation Ace is a commonly used good blade. Check out the recommendations Ic3Rabbit mentioned, go see a good skate technician and give yourself an upgrade. It's time!
Agree. Advanced gear won't magically allow a skater to perform advanced moves without requisite training, practice, and skills development. But mediocre gear can hamper the progress a skater can potentially achieve.