Kevin Aymoz quad salchow | Golden Skate

Kevin Aymoz quad salchow

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Delete if not allowed:

Kevin aymoz full rotated and stayed up on a quad salchow at French nationals (albeit 2 footed).
What are peoples thoughts on this development? Where could it lead?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I think it suddenly puts Aymoz in the hunt for top six at Worlds not just top ten. That’s if he can get it consistent.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it suddenly puts Aymoz in the hunt for top six at Worlds not just top ten. That’s if he can get it consistent.

Ummm... did you miss him getting a GPF bronze? He’s almost def top six.

A 4S puts him in World bronze contention.

oly2018

Final Flight
I am interested to see if he can continue his consistency with a 3 quad program. Even when he stays on his feet, Kevin's quads are a little dicey, so I would be curious to see how adding in another quad affects his overall program.

I do think it changes the conversation about who his competition is at worlds. Earlier in the season, people had him neck and neck with Jason and I don't think that is the case anymore. He has more tech and is now getting similar/slightly higher PCS than Jason.

P44

On the Ice
Right after gpf he said he wanted to try 4S at France nationals because it was a great opportunity but apparently he didn't plan to intend it during the 2nd half of the season (europeans and worlds). But who knows ?
I think it is interesting, his 4T is becoming more consistent but he's still a bit limited. With"only" one quad he needs other skaters to make mistakes to rank high.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Ummm... did you miss him getting a GPF bronze? He’s almost def top six.

A 4S puts him in World bronze contention.

The GP is a little to much influenced by luck to be a proper indication of who is going to be in the top six at Worlds. Not to mention it looks like Uno might be having a comeback.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
For what it’s worth, Aymoz didn’t do a three quad free program in France. Instead, the 4S replaced the solo 4T. I think he’s the front runner going into Euros and he’s a medal contender going into Worlds, 4S or no. His score at GPF isn’t that far off from Zhou’s bronze medal score last year. His basic skating is raw and his quads can get messy, but that also holds true for the skaters with more technical content than him. And he’s already beaten those skaters anyway.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I personally think he will have a massive shot for Europeans title as he can do things nobody else can do ignoring the technical side.

Top 3 in worlds is definitely a possibility, however it depends on what everybody else does. I really want to see kevin with the bronze medal but also want shoma to do well.

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
I'm a fan, but I wouldn't expect a Worlds medal... At Europeans it can be not so sure as well. Samarin has the same PCS, if I'm not mistaken (which is a joke, but well). Russian men are upredictable, which means that they can splat, but also can do very well, and Samarin has much bigger base value (4Lz+3T, after all...).
Then, there is the unfortunate situation with Kevin's coaches. As sensitive guy as he is, and close to Silvia, it may affect him. Very glad that it didn't seem so at nationals.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I'm a fan, but I wouldn't expect a Worlds medal... At Europeans it can be not so sure as well. Samarin has the same PCS, if I'm not mistaken (which is a joke, but well). Russian men are upredictable, which means that they can splat, but also can do very well, and Samarin has much bigger base value (4Lz+3T, after all...).
Then, there is the unfortunate situation with Kevin's coaches. As sensitive guy as he is, and close to Silvia, it may affect him. Very glad that it didn't seem so at nationals.

Remember at nationals he did 4T+3T in sp, a jump which he has never done in the sp before. This indicates making room for second quad, which would push him above the 100 mark.

It all comes down to GOE, but his 4T has improved massively last season, and his 3A is gorgeous.
4Lz vs 4T isnt actually that much if PCS is judged fairly, and now kevin is a seasoned skater he should receive a PCS boost.

On a random note can anybody confirm when/if Kolyada will be back. If Kolyada came back mentally tough his GOE is enough that he only needs a 4T to win europeans.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
I am interested to see if he can continue his consistency with a 3 quad program. Even when he stays on his feet, Kevin's quads are a little dicey, so I would be curious to see how adding in another quad affects his overall program.

I do think it changes the conversation about who his competition is at worlds. Earlier in the season, people had him neck and neck with Jason and I don't think that is the case anymore. He has more tech and is now getting similar/slightly higher PCS than Jason.

I definitely will take Kevin over Jason ANY DAY! :peace:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I definitely will take Kevin over Jason ANY DAY! :peace:

That is too darn bad. ;)

Because I love Kevin and I adore Jason. :agree: And I believe many fans (and I know at least some) are devotees of both. I personally do not see how anyone can love one and not the other.

And as much as I am a Kevin fan, and have been for two years before this breakout season, having been a Jason fan for a few years longer, I am not getting too excited about a two-footed quad. Jason has been landing two footed quads off and on now for sometime. :shrug:

I wish Kevin every success in getting the jumps that he wants, but I wish for more for him to keep the charm, the presence and the passion that he currently has. A charm, presence and passion which Jason also has. What I love about men’s skating:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I like Jason and Kevin about the same too.

But Kevin's huge progress recently has made me more excited about him!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I understand that; it’s much easier to be excited about someone new with a breakout season.:biggrin: As a Jason fan, it saddens me that he has fewer seasons to skate than Kevin does, probably, but being a Kévin fan gives me a skater to follow for many years

I followed Kévin when he skated junior. One more reason to love those junior men :thumbsup: I cheered for Kevin when others (skating community, not posters) denigrated him for placing without a quad over skaters who did have quads. Sound familiar?

Skaters like Jason and Kevin, to me, are rare, not rewarded enough by the scoring system, and to be cherished. Both of them :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I saw a comment, not here, where somebody said "Jason Brown's biggest problem is Kevin Aymoz's rise" which kinda annoyed me, to be honest. I don't understand why skating has to be a zero-sum game. Why does Kevin succeeding mean that Jason cannot? (And it's just as riddiculous if the opposite was said -- i.e. Kevin Aymoz's biggest problem is Jason’s rise.”) I don't understand this zero-sum game where only ONE of a "certain type" of skater is allowed to thrive at any given time. Jason's biggest problem is quads and not getting clean programs. Kevin has very little to do with that. There's this weird belief that judges will only back one "so-called artistic skater." Politicking in skating is real but I don't know know if this is an example of that. Yes, one is going to rank above the other, that's how competition works, but honestly, it makes no sense for other skaters to harp who is (or isn't) doing well.

I will say though that yes right now, Kevin is definitely having the far better season. But this is freaking men's figure skating where placements seem to be fluid and the men constantly go up and down the rankings (sometimes within the same competition, :laugh:).

By the way this isn’t aimed at anyone here, just giving thoughts about a sentiment I’ve been seeking regarding “artistic skaters.”

Overall, I'll say, I'm delighted for Kevin's rise this season. I too remember when Kevin struggled to keep the jumps together as a junior (he was notrious for popping them) and I remember Ted Barton talking about how Kevin put SO much commitment to his performance that it came at the expense of executing his technical elements. I think Kevin has made a lot of progress in balancing the performance/artistry aspect with the technical aspect and I am always happy to see those breakthroughs. I'm happy for him that he is putting the 4S and I'm eager to see where it goes from here.

Last edited:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I saw a comment, not here, where somebody said "Jason Brown's biggest problem is Kevin Aymoz's rise" which kinda annoyed me, to be honest. I don't understand why skating has to be a zero-sum game. Why does Kevin succeeding mean that Jason cannot? (And it's just as riddiculous if the opposite was said -- i.e. Kevin Aymoz's biggest rise" I don't understand this zero-sum game where only ONE of a "certain type" of skater is allowed to thrive at any given time. Jason's biggest problem is quads and not getting clean programs. Kevin has very little to do with that. There's this weird belief that judges will only back one "so-called artistic skater." Politicking in skating is real but I don't know know if this is an example of that. Yes, one is going to rank above the other, that's how competition works, but honestly, it makes no sense for other skaters to harp who is (or isn't) doing well.

Exactly, why can't we have both? Both Kevin and Jason bring unique qualities to the table and I am glad that there is (or at least, should be) room for both of them in figure skating.

pesto

On the Ice

Kevin's PB is fifth under the current system. That was achieved with an imperfect free skate: he fell on an under-rotated quad toe, and under-rotated his triple-triple combo.

With the inconsistency of everyone other than Chen these days, he's already in contention for world medals. More tech, more consistently landed, would obviously mean less reliance on others making a hash of things.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Kevin's PB is fifth under the current system. That was achieved with an imperfect free skate: he fell on an under-rotated quad toe, and under-rotated his triple-triple combo.

With the inconsistency of everyone other than Chen these days, he's already in contention for world medals. More tech, more consistently landed, would obviously mean less reliance on others making a hash of things.

He has as good a chance of making the podium as anyone.
Although a rejuvenated Shoma Uno is a threat now too.

Casual

On the Ice

I used to love Jason, but lately he bores me. I blame the music. Kevin on the other hand is awesome this season. He was skating right after Hanyu (whom I adore!), and he actually looked on par, performance-wise. That's huge, IMHO. Anyone else (besides Nathan) skating after Hanyu would pale and wither in comparison. But Kevin held his own.

As for Samarin's PCS being the same... Come on. This is exactly what's wrong with today's figure skating. It's not even funny. It's sad.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Everybody comparing kevin to Jason: you fail to realise Kevin has a consistent 4T for almost 2years, whereas Jason has never landed a quad in competition clean...