Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I just read her boot fell apart and watched her sp in Russia. She skated very well and placed very well con side ring current Russian trends. It was what I expected as she is loved and held up. But she deserved to do well. I was thinking maybe she could apply for Canadian citizenship because she badly wants to get to another Olympics. What is the wait in Canada? I know right now she isn’t thinking this but so many countries would love to have her represent. With the whole drug ban issue continuing maybe she should give it thought if it is even possible. Canada has no lady right now who is top . I don’t think there is any junior either which is amazing given all that ice. In the USA we have BRADIE And Mariah and Alysa Liu coming up. Maybe more. I would hate to see Zhenya leave skating because Russia is so deep in jumpers now. Perhaps if she can learn a quad like Liza who is four years older. Mirai Nagasu learned triple axel relatively late. I think both Zhenya and Alina must do this in order to stay competitive. I don’t like Liza at all style wise but they gave her fourth. Because of the jumps. Others skated far better than her so in Russia you need a quad or two or two axels to stay on podium. Let us hope Zhenya does feel she can do this with Orser in the lead.

She could skate for Ukraine. I just want to see her overcome and skate again. She loves Russia but the Russfed has moved on from her so she needs to maybe do likewise. Opinions?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Poor Zhenya. I wish she was happier with her OSM two years ago. Michelle Kwan never won OGM. And so what?
Sometimes people can be too negative. :/

silveruskate

On the Ice
Poor Zhenya. I wish she was happier with her OSM two years ago. Michelle Kwan never won OGM. And so what?

Not being content with second best is something that makes you a champion in the first place. It's a blessing and a curse.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I'm not sure RusFed would release any Olympic/World/European medallists at this point even if they wanted to switch countries. The best time to do so is before you accomplish anything (and there's little outcry about that).

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
As far as I know, first and foremost the Russian Fed has to release her. And that is not going to be easy, if even possible.
I'm not sure there's enough time for a country swap before Beijing.
Not to mention the huge media backlash she would receive for that...
And what if she switches countries? She can go to Worlds and Olympics. But is she going to be a medal contender? Most likely not without an Ultra-C element.
Same goes for Alina.
Imo, these girls are unfortunately caught in the middle of the technical revolution which probably they themselves started with the backloading. It just got so "out of hand" with the quads it's impossible to keep up as an "older" skater.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

How is she being "negative"?

Michelle Kwan kept competing two more Olympic cycles after her Silver btw

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Oh my, can you imagine the drama if she switched to competing for Canada...
She gets enough nastiness for simply choosing to train outside Russia.

:eeking:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I think anyone who dedicated their life to their dream of Olympic gold would cry when they don't get it. Most cry when they DO.
It's called having emotions...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Who cares about those people? There is always someone who wants to cause drama. She would be accepted in Canada with open arms, but I doubt she would want to stop representing Russia.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I’m team Alena over the other two who are talented and charming etc etc. But there are a few other young ladies who have gorgeous skating. Stanislava is a goddess. Love her skating and she looks the perfect young woman. The dress, the face. I saw three skaters today with mega talent that I have not seen before. It is all about the jumps in Russia. My stunning Maria Sotskova who was with Alina and Zhenya in Korea was not here today. The ladies in Russia is so crowded. All I can say is emigrate ladies to Slavic countries. This is amazing skating. A few falls but these ladies put the men to shame in Russia. Girl power! Yes the 3 As are great but there are some stunning skaters that can’t get assignments and that we won’t see again and what a shame. Maybe some of them can escape to countries dying for a great girl! Just wow.

Zhenya may quit. Her face when she got score had that bewildered look. Is there any talk she is train8ng an axel or quad in Canada? I believe Alina will try it because she is so young. Sometimes I wonder if there is some PE thing happening at Sambo. Alena is ten points ahead. They really want to push her to the WC spot this year. All three will get huge PCS at home. They all look invincible right now. But until we hear she quits I’m still believing Zhenya and Alina can pull a Liza T. They are still very young and I think both will try to get a quad or axel before they quit. I hope they both try because both are better skaters in general than Liza and Liza is in the mix at 23!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I just read her boot fell apart and watched her sp in Russia. She skated very well and placed very well con side ring current Russian trends. It was what I expected as she is loved and held up. But she deserved to do well. I was thinking maybe she could apply for Canadian citizenship because she badly wants to get to another Olympics. What is the wait in Canada? I know right now she isn’t thinking this but so many countries would love to have her represent. With the whole drug ban issue continuing maybe she should give it thought if it is even possible. Canada has no lady right now who is top . I don’t think there is any junior either which is amazing given all that ice. In the USA we have BRADIE And Mariah and Alysa Liu coming up. Maybe more. I would hate to see Zhenya leave skating because Russia is so deep in jumpers now. Perhaps if she can learn a quad like Liza who is four years older. Mirai Nagasu learned triple axel relatively late. I think both Zhenya and Alina must do this in order to stay competitive. I don’t like Liza at all style wise but they gave her fourth. Because of the jumps. Others skated far better than her so in Russia you need a quad or two or two axels to stay on podium. Let us hope Zhenya does feel she can do this with Orser in the lead.

She could skate for Ukraine. I just want to see her overcome and skate again. She loves Russia but the Russfed has moved on from her so she needs to maybe do likewise. Opinions?

Has it occurred to you that she loves her country enough not to want to change her citizenship?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I’m team Alena over the other two who are talented and charming etc etc. But there are a few other young ladies who have gorgeous skating. Stanislavsky is a goddess. Love her skating and she looks the perfect young woman. The dress, the face. I saw three skaters today with mega talent that I have not seen before. It is all about the jumps in Russia. My stunning Maria Sotskova who was with Alina and Zhenya was not here today. The ladies in Russia is so crowded. All I can say is emigrate ladies to Slavic countries. This is amazing skating. A few falls but these ladies put the men to shame in Russia. Girl power!
Stanislavsky is Stanislava, right?

Amei

Record Breaker
as other's have said - first of all Russia would have to release her which is going to be a difficult thing to do given what she's accomplished. But secondary if this is some kind of consideration from her, I hope that her management team is weighing the repercussions of it all. If she stops skating for Russia and starts competing for xyz country - she will lose Russian funding, but would she also be risking her sponsorship deals as their target market with her is in Russia, she got a lot of heat for leaving Eteri would the blowback of leaving Russia make her less marketable and cost her money there. Is money everything - no, but it certainly makes the world go round, and realistically if she can't make it to the Europeans/Worlds/Olympics by beating 3 other Russian skaters then its unlikely she can beat them to win Europeans/Worlds/Olympics.

jennapowers

Rinkside

Unfortunately she'll never skate for anyone but Russia.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Stanislavsky is Stanislava, right?
Yes darn auto fill I corrected her name. I hate my glasses but should use lol. Yes Konstantinova has been inconsistent last couple years but she is beautiful to watch. Her sp was very good. The whole event was worth watching I thought.

Scott512

Record Breaker

if you think they skating boot drama was big wait until Zhenya switches from Russia to Canada. Lol. That would make her leaving eteri for orser look like Child's Play. Lol. That would never happen. If it turns out like this and ifZhenya has to live life as a two-time world champion. and Olympic silver medalist one of the greatest ever in Russia and world that's one hell of a resume baby.

It would be absolutely insane off the charts bonkers. But it won't happenn. But I am surprised we don't see more of the Russian girls leaving for other countries girls who are all in like the Russian B team or C team who have no chance in the future. I don't know why more federation's are picking those girls off.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since no one will be skating for Russia in the next Olympics, does that affect her ability to switch?

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I don’t think she would want to switch, and I don’t think her career is over.
Is she the only Russian woman to have back to back gold medals at Worlds? I think Maria had one, And did Irina have 2 gold, but not back to back. ? Medvedeva has an impressive resume. The lack on an Olympic gold won’t taint what she has already won.