Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

Casual

On the Ice
I'm not sure RusFed would release any Olympic/World/European medallists at this point even if they wanted to switch countries. The best time to do so is before you accomplish anything (and there's little outcry about that).

What do you mean by "release"? The athletes can't pack up and go wherever they please?

Amei

Record Breaker
I don’t think she would want to switch, and I don’t think her career is over.
Is she the only Russian woman to have back to back gold medals at Worlds? I think Maria had one, And did Irina have 2 gold, but not back to back. ? Medvedeva has an impressive resume. The lack on an Olympic gold won’t taint what she has already won.

We aren't talking about her past results (except in relation to it making it difficult to get released by Russia if she chooses to go down that road) but what she can do going forward at the major international competitions as of right now she's the 5th best skater in her country which pretty much guarantees that she won't be at those major international competitions.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm confused. No one will be skating for Russia in the next Olympics?

Wada recommended banning Russia for another 2 Olympics due to what Wada alleges is more non-compliance, however from what I've heard/read it will be a similar situation to Pyeonchang - clean athletes will be able to compete under the Olympic flag as neutral athletes. I'm sure Russia is appealing it. There's probably a thread somewhere on the Edge about it.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
What do you mean by "release"? The athletes can't pack up and go wherever they please?

Russia Fed has to give permission for Evgenia or any skater to switch countries. If Russia dont let her go, she cannot go.

In any case, dont think Evgenia will ever switch countries, she's very patriotic.

Casual

On the Ice
Russia Fed has to give permission for Evgenia or any skater to switch countries. If Russia dont let her go, she cannot go.

In any case, dont think Evgenia will ever switch countries, she's very patriotic.

I don't understand how it's possible. Sounds like slavery. Wow. I didn't know.

So if a skater decides to emigrate, he/she can't skate anymore, unless he/she gets permission from RusFed? No wonder everyone's so patriotic.

Is it the same in other sports?

And ISU supports this. I guess because they're paid by federations?

JSM

On the Ice
The federation paid/pays for her training, travel, and equipment. She’s a World and Olympic medalist. Why would Russia release her so she can win medals for another country after they financed much of her success?

(She wouldn’t want to anyway, as many have mentioned).

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
We aren't talking about her past results (except in relation to it making it difficult to get released by Russia if she chooses to go down that road) but what she can do going forward at the major international competitions as of right now she's the 5th best skater in her country which pretty much guarantees that she won't be at those major international competitions.

I doubt she would want to switch nor would Russia let her. She placed 5th after the short program. It’s not over. Anything could happen in the long program. But if she remains 5th she will be okay. She knows she needs the harder jumps. But I’ll play hypothetical, and if she gets to skate for any country other than Russia then I hope it’s Canada. She seems to like it there.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

So if a skater decides to emigrate, he/she can't skate anymore, unless he/she gets permission from RusFed? No wonder everyone's so patriotic.

<facepalm> Dont you guys follow other sports?
Yes, it is the same for other sports. There's usually also a requirement to wait 2 years before representing the new country.
This was how USA got an Olympic Gold medalist to represent them in badminton.
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-badminton/athletes/Tony-Gunawan

For figure skating, it's been reported the waiting period is shorter, perhaps due to the fact difficulty in finding suitable partners for pairs. It is the same for other sports that have doubles discipline - both partners must represent the same country, so someone has to switch.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don’t know about other sports but this is very very common in skating. Keegan Messing could not compete for Canada until US Fed released him. There’s a former Ukrainian skater skating in US Nationals who had to get released by Ukraine. That doesn’t include citizenship issues, although as I understand it that’s only important for Olympics.

Casual

On the Ice
<facepalm> Dont you guys follow other sports?

Nope. I prefer art. :laugh:

As I kept seeing American skaters representing many other countries, I assumed switching was no problem. And I could never imagine a federation could just say "no". That's barbaric.

Casual

On the Ice
The federation paid/pays for her training, travel, and equipment. She’s a World and Olympic medalist. Why would Russia release her so she can win medals for another country after they financed much of her success?

(She wouldn’t want to anyway, as many have mentioned).

So it is like indentured slavery. "We bought you, you're ours."

This explains so much. The more I learn about organized sports, the less I like them.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Nope. I prefer art. :laugh:

As I kept seeing American skaters representing many other countries, I assumed switching was no problem. And I could never imagine a federation could just say "no". That's barbaric.

For state funded sports(ie taxpayers money), the Fed or government paid all that money to develop the athlete and another country snatches them ready made? There'll be public outcry.

In the example I gave,Tony Gunawan was already in his 30s when he switched to USA. He won Olympic Gold for Indonesia, World Championship, etc, etc. Did his duty for his birth country, so to speak.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For state funded sports(ie taxpayers money), the Fed or government paid all that money to develop the athlete and another country snatches them ready made? There'll be public outcry.

In the example I gave,Tony Gunawan was already in his 30s when he switched to USA. He won Olympic Gold for Indonesia, World Championship, etc, etc. Did his duty for his birth country, so to speak.

But taxpayers don’t fund sports in USA, so that part doesn’t apply.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Where there's a will there's a way. Remember Germany paid France €30,000 for Massot's release in 2015?

Skate Canada could negotiate with RusFed for Medvedeva's release if all parties have the intention. I wish Zagitova could join team Raf and skate for the US if she can no longer get on Russia's worlds and Olympic teams.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Where there's a will there's a way. Remember Germany paid France €30,000 for Massot's release in 2015?

Remember how Bruno and Aljona spent over a year in limbo, with Bruno living on approximately €200 a month, because the French federation didn't initially want to release him and asked the German federation to pay way, way more than €30,000 for his release?

Federations don't have to let skaters go, and they can make life very difficult for skaters who want to change countries without technically doing anything against the rules in an attempt to change their minds.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
But taxpayers don’t fund sports in USA, so that part doesn’t apply.

It applies to Evgenia as she gets Russia Fed funding. And was coaching by a state funded coach for most of her career.

It applied to Tony Gunawan as badminton is at least partially state funded in Indonesia. Indonesia was the one which released him to go USA, not the other way round.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Remember how Bruno and Aljona spent over a year in limbo, with Bruno living on approximately €200 a month, because the French federation didn't initially want to release him and asked the German federation to pay way, way more than €30,000 for his release?

Federations don't have to let skaters go, and they can make life very difficult for skaters who want to change countries without technically doing anything against the rules in an attempt to change their minds.

Sitting out a year w/o being paid by either of the federations is a given for any skater who is changing federation.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sitting out a year w/o being paid by either of the federations is a given for any skater who is changing federation.

No, this was on top of the standard year out of competition (and the €200 per month was while Bruno was still with the FFSG). It took about two years for FFSG to bring their asking price down enough that the German federation would pay it, IIRC, and by then Bruno had already sat out the required year out of international competition and then some, lost his apartment and spent some considerable time basically living on thin air. He got more support from his parents and fiancee than from the federation that allegedly wanted him to stay in France.

Federations do not have to let anyone go, and they can be petty and nasty about it if there are petty, nasty people in charge. I remember hearing about more than one pair skater who's requested release from Russia and just been flatly denied in the wake of Katia Alexandrovskaya switching to Australia and promptly scooping some key junior medals out from under Russia's nose with Harley.