Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I love how many people already have Evgenia skating for Canada and then using it to bash Canada.

I personally would welcome her with open arms. However she loves Russia. She is a proud Russian and since Russia does not allow dual citizenship I doubt it would happen.

Evgenia is not the first skater to have boot problems. She is not the last. I hope she fixes it and has a great next season.

halulupu

Final Flight
Most skaters do NOT take a second pair with them. It is not common to do that especially when you already have new boots. It takes weeks to break new pairs in and to mold then until you can skate comfortably with them and perform all of your jumps and skills in them. Breaking in two pairs of boots at the same time means less serious training time for a skater
A professional top choaching team should be prepared.

Albus

Match Penalty
Debates by who? Looking at ISU base value charts there are no A, B or C categories of elements for figure skating.

Debates by coaches and ex skaters on YouTube and tv cheap talking. It's all unofficial in figure skating of cause.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Her boots were only a month old, nobody expects top quality custom fitted boots to break that quickly.

Skaters do not take spares, I don't know why because maybe they should but they generally do not.
Rika Kihira was skating on falling apart boots at World Team Trophy last season for some reason. Probably not having the time to break in new ones.

Should their luggage get lost they would lose not just one pair but the spares too

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I wonder if Rabbit or any of the other elite former skaters on the board could be pressed to start a thread about boots and the role they play in a skaters life? Most of us who are not elite skaters probably have no idea what having boot problems is like. They derailed at least a few careers that I can think of.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Boot problems can be very costly

I was never an elite skater but I did train to hopefully become one when i was younger.
Boot issues derailed my training or caused me significant pain so I understand it a little

pearly

Record Breaker
I knew skaters who focused on synchro and kept separate pairs of boots for other things they were required to do or chose to do (like freestyle and dance).

As a skater performing triples and quads, the only save in this situation (when your only pair of boots breaks down) would be to borrow another skater's pair. That could get you through a performance - it would be very difficult to deliver a great performance. But even in another skater's boots, your big problem would be a different pair of blades.

Casual

On the Ice
since Russia does not allow dual citizenship I doubt it would happen.

Russia does not forbid dual (or triple, or more) citizenship. There're millions of Russian citizens living in the US, Canada, Israel and plenty of other countries, who have dual and triple citizenships.

Heck, even super-patriotic members of Russian parliament (for whom it is forbidden, since Russia does not allow foreign citizens to hold sensitive government jobs) are regularly caught as having two or three passports.

Far as I know, Germany is the one European country that's super strict about forbidding dual citizenship, but only to those who apply for German citizenship now; even in Germany 570 thousand German citizens have Russian passports (i.e., dual Russian-German citizens).

So, yeah... It's not disallowed, and it's actually widespread.

ETA: Not only does it not forbid dual citizenship, Russia makes it very hard and expensive to relinquish Russian citizenship, even if one wanted to. When you see a Russian immigrant, chances are he/she is a dual citizen.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I knew skaters who focused on synchro and kept separate pairs of boots for other things they were required to do or chose to do (like freestyle and dance).

As a skater performing triples and quads, the only save in this situation (when your only pair of boots breaks down) would be to borrow another skater's pair. That could get you through a performance - it would be very difficult to deliver a great performance. But even in another skater's boots, your big problem would be a different pair of blades.

These skaters have custom fitted boots, they're not just any off the shelf pair. They're made to measure for each person. It would be almost as bad as brand new off the shelf ones.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Have Edea people said anything official about the matter?

My guess is they will want the broken pair back for quality assessment. She will get one, perhaps more pairs back as compensation, because having a month old boot of their premier model break down is a serious problem with either its design or Edea's quality control.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It can never make up for her lost Nationals FS though...
Some people think it all sounds so over dramatic but they have never gone through such a thing and have no idea how it feels.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Debates by who? Looking at ISU base value charts there are no A, B or C categories of elements for figure skating.

It said something about artistic gymnastics? I am very confused. I believe gymnastics has a, b and c moves but the post is referencing figure skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Orser is to blame. Its his job to prevent this kind of catastrophic situations. Under eteri something like this wouldn't have happend

You have to be kidding. At least he does not teach first place is winning and everything else is losing, which is horrible sportsmanship.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone remember when Michelle Kwan’s boot fell apart at 2001 Worlds? It happens. In her case, her father nailed the heel back on just before she took the ice at the Q round. I assume it was repaired properly after that because she went on to win.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does anyone remember when Michelle Kwan’s boot fell apart at 2001 Worlds? It happens. In her case, her father nailed the heel back on just before she took the ice at the Q round. I assume it was repaired properly after that because she went on to win.

I absolutely remember that. It was the Q round in 2001. I was at that event but, not for the Q rounds. It was the "talk" going around the arena before the LP started. How she kept her nerves in check is something I truly admire.

slider11

Medalist
I think Evgenia did the right thing. She knew her skates would not permit her to produce the FS she knew she could have. It's like being sick and choosing to withdraw. Broken boots could have caused serious injury. The haters gonna hate, hate, hate... Build on what you have for next year. Explore your options but keep working towards your dreams.