Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

Casual

On the Ice
You have to be kidding. At least he does not teach first place is winning and everything else is losing, which is horrible sportsmanship.

The more I learn about Eteri the less I like her. Another tidbit I read yesterday - apparently she said she'd prefer Asian skaters as pupils because they are obedient and keep their mouths shut? If true, what a horrible message for young women.

If you get an OGM but learn to keep your mouth shut and be super obedient - your teachers failed you as a human being. Medalists come and go, but psychological perversion may last forever. When raising a child, winning a medal should never be more important than learning critical thinking and refusal to blindly bow to authority.

According to Milgram experiment, 85% of people are obedient sheep, and 62% of people are blind sheep (willing to blindly follow sadistic orders of "authority" to the bitter end, never questioning). We need to grow less sheep among us, not more.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Medvedeva is pure Russian to the heart and will not be switching countries for all the gold in the world. Have we forgotten her petitioning for clean Russian athletes to be able to compete at the Olympics already? :cry:

Also, athletes needing the permission of their national sports federation to skate for another country is many things... but it is not slavery.

pearly

Record Breaker
It said something about artistic gymnastics? I am very confused. I believe gymnastics has a, b and c moves but the post is referencing figure skating.

I agree with you. I see people discuss "ultra c" elements here on the board as if they were a real thing in figure skating.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
This thread is hysterical. Defective products exist. A sweater with a wonky seam is fine to wear anyway, but skating boots? Just not safe.

And someone in a Russian interview once asked Zhenya, "What country would you skate for if you couldn't skate for Russia?" She answered, "...Russia. :laugh:"

icybear

Medalist
I just read her boot fell apart and watched her sp in Russia. She skated very well and placed very well con side ring current Russian trends. It was what I expected as she is loved and held up. But she deserved to do well. I was thinking maybe she could apply for Canadian citizenship because she badly wants to get to another Olympics. What is the wait in Canada? I know right now she isn’t thinking this but so many countries would love to have her represent. With the whole drug ban issue continuing maybe she should give it thought if it is even possible. Canada has no lady right now who is top . I don’t think there is any junior either which is amazing given all that ice. In the USA we have BRADIE And Mariah and Alysa Liu coming up. Maybe more. I would hate to see Zhenya leave skating because Russia is so deep in jumpers now. Perhaps if she can learn a quad like Liza who is four years older. Mirai Nagasu learned triple axel relatively late. I think both Zhenya and Alina must do this in order to stay competitive. I don’t like Liza at all style wise but they gave her fourth. Because of the jumps. Others skated far better than her so in Russia you need a quad or two or two axels to stay on podium. Let us hope Zhenya does feel she can do this with Orser in the lead.

She could skate for Ukraine. I just want to see her overcome and skate again. She loves Russia but the Russfed has moved on from her so she needs to maybe do likewise. Opinions?

I cant understand this ideology of changing nationality like changing jackets.

Casual

On the Ice
Medvedeva is pure Russian to the heart and will not be switching countries for all the gold in the world. Have we forgotten her petitioning for clean Russian athletes to be able to compete at the Olympics already? :cry:

Also, athletes needing the permission of their national sports federation to skate for another country is many things... but it is not slavery.

I thought Medvedeva was half Armenian. Can she switch to Armenia without RusFed consent? (Since it won't be like switching to a totally unrelated third country, but just claiming another half of her heritage?)

It's easy to be patriotic if you are indentured bound to your master and can't leave.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I agree with you. I see people discuss "ultra c" elements here on the board as if they were a real thing in figure skating.

I thought it was just a fan term to refer to quads and triple axels. Didn't realise 3Lz-3L was supposed to be included as well... That would mean Alina has ultra-c elements?

To be fair, the scale of values does separate jumps in sections of single, double, triple, quad jumps with the corresponding axels in the category above so (my understanding of) it does make a bit of sense.

(Also, isn't Viner rhythmic gymnastics not artistic?)

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
This thread is hysterical. Defective products exist. A sweater with a wonky seam is fine to wear anyway, but skating boots? Just not safe.

And someone in a Russian interview once asked Zhenya, "What country would you skate for if you couldn't skate for Russia?" She answered, "...Russia. :laugh:"

It is kind of like Formula One or other racing cars. Each car is set up specifically to each driver's needs and preferences and drivers can't just pop into each other's race cars or one not set up for them and be able to race with it just the same.
F1 teams do bring spare mechanical and structural parts to races but that is a different matter entirely to a pair of figure skating boots. They don't take entire spare vehicles or a chassis set up just the right way for the drivers.

Zhenya will never represent anywhere but Russia. Just because she trains in Canada doesn't make her less patriotic or proud to be Russian and to compete for Russia...she's made that clear so many times already.

Casual

On the Ice
I cant understand this ideology of changing nationality like changing jackets.

Almost 400 million population of USA, Canada and Australia (nations of immigrants) disagree with you.

I can't understand the ideology of "wherever you were born, there you must stay and die". It seems rather arbitrary.

pearly

Record Breaker
I thought it was just a fan term to refer to quads and triple axels. Didn't realise 3Lz-3L was supposed to be included as well... That would mean Alina has ultra-c elements?

To be fair, the scale of values does separate jumps in sections of single, double, triple, quad jumps with the corresponding axels in the category above so (my understanding of) it does make a bit of sense.

(Also, isn't Viner rhythmic gymnastics not artistic?)

Yes, it's a fan term and therefore not definitive or relevant because it is arbitrary. It's not like ISU has a list of A, B, C etc elements where their base value separates them into these categories. What ISU does have is the scale of values you mention.

Viner coaches rhythmic gymnastics, yes.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Almost 400 million population of USA, Canada and Australia (nations of immigrants) disagree with you.

I can't understand the ideology of "wherever you were born, there you must stay and die". It seems rather arbitrary.

But it is someone's choice and Zhenya has made it clear she wouldn't switch to another country.

icybear

Medalist

I cant even understand what you're trying to say. The 400 million people living in those country were mostly born there so how are they immigrants? Bradie Tenell isnt an immigrant to America.

pearly

Record Breaker
This change of nationality talk is really pointless. If someone cannot make it out of Russia, it is highly doubtful they could win a gold medal under any other flag. Make it to Euros/Worlds/Olympics yes, but what would be the point of that for Evgenia?

The only "exodus" of Russian skaters I see as a distant possibility is if Russia is banned from competition all together.

Admittedly, ISU championships would be much more interesting if we could have more Russian skaters even if they were representing other countries. But hey.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many skaters have historically skated for countries other than those of their birth or original citizenship. Tanith Belbin is Canadian and skated for the US. Kyoto Inu is Japanese and also skated for the US. Kavaguti of Kavaguti and Smirnov is Japanese who became a Russian citizen. Many with dual citizenship choose the country where that have the best chance of success—Alexandra Paganini, Nicole Schott to name a few. It has less to do with lack a patriotism and more to do with strategy for success in the sport. That said, I don’t see why Evgenia would switch. She would have a better chance of getting to Worlds/Olympics, but would not improve her chances of winning, which is what she wants.

soogar

Record Breaker
She won't switch countries. Seems like there are a lot of show and commercial opportunities in Russia. Plus I assume that she receives support as well.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I thought Medvedeva was half Armenian. Can she switch to Armenia without RusFed consent? (Since it won't be like switching to a totally unrelated third country, but just claiming another half of her heritage?)

No. Regardless of your ties to that country, you have to be released by original / previous your federation and then ISU has to approve it. On top of that you can't compete internationally for a year.

Kurakova was released months before ISU authorised it and she could only compete at ISU events again this season.

Casual

On the Ice
I cant even understand what you're trying to say. The 400 million people living in those country were mostly born there so how are they immigrants? Bradie Tenell isnt an immigrant to America.

They are called "nations of immigrants", because everyone is either a first generation immigrant or ancestors were immigrants. So if people followed your ideology of "never change your nationality, die where you were born" - America, Canada and Australia wouldn't exist, and 400 million people would live elsewhere.

1 in 4 Americans are first or second generation immigrant (i.e., either foreign born themselves, or have foreign born parents), another 25% are third generation (i.e., have foreign born grandparents). There're only 5 million of Native Americans (1.5%). Everyone else's family came from somewhere. Bradie Tenell does not have Native American (native Indian tribes) heritage, her ancestors were immigrants from Europe.

Casual

On the Ice
No. Regardless of your ties to that country, you have to be released by original / previous your federation and then ISU has to approve it. On top of that you can't compete internationally for a year.

So, if she ever wanted to change, she'd have to be strategic about it, for example start skating very poorly, in order to up her chances of release.

(Just thinking out loud. I'm still dumbfounded that in this day and age one can be bound to one's "country" against one's will, just because some nasty old fart in the native sports Fed says "no".)