2020 skating goals | Golden Skate

2020 skating goals

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
With the new year approaching I thought it would be nice to share our skating goals for the new year [emoji4].

This year was my first full year of skating and looking back I achieved a lot - including all my singles apart from axel, a solid scratch, sit, backspin and the start of some variations too. Plus, this last month I've finally started to solve my camel and backsit woes!

My 2020 goals are:
1) Get my camel spin and change foot sit stronger

2) Faster sit variations

3) Start laybacks

4) Really drill backspins for rotation practice

5) Get a more consistent edge on my lutz

6) Train 1A and 2S and hopefully land one!

7) Compete for the first time

8) Improve flexibility

What did you achieve this year and what would you like to achieve in 2020?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
My goals:
1)Improve flexibility and try achieve all spins lvl 2 and one being lvl 4 and one being lvl 3 (so min 4,3,2).
2) have a good skate at competition. Score >100 points combined.
3) Land 2A and get my current triples more consistent (land all triples by end of year).
4) Get current triples ratified in competition.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
1) Land 1A and start doubles
2) Get a very low sit spin position
3) Do a proper camel spin and not what looks like a combination of a spiral, 3-turn, and bad itch that I'm trying to ignore :laugh:
4) Outside spread eagle
5) Twizzles
6) Allllll the turns, all of 'em, and if not a back counter 1A, then at least a back counter waltz jump
7) Super-super low hydroblade

...Okay, basically anything Yuzuru Hanyu does, but with all single jumps. :eek::

And as always, deeper edges and better knee bend!

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
My goals:
1)Improve flexibility and try achieve all spins lvl 2 and one being lvl 4 and one being lvl 3 (so min 4,3,2).
2) have a good skate at competition. Score >100 points combined.
3) Land 2A and get my current triples more consistent (land all triples by end of year).
4) Get current triples ratified in competition.
Good luck with your 2A and triples! I can only dream of being that advanced! Hope you achieve your goals [emoji4]

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
1) Land 1A and start doubles
2) Get a very low sit spin position
3) Do a proper camel spin and not what looks like a combination of a spiral, 3-turn, and bad itch that I'm trying to ignore [emoji23]
4) Outside spread eagle
5) Twizzles
6) Allllll the turns, all of 'em, and if not a back counter 1A, then at least a back counter waltz jump
7) Super-super low hydroblade

...Okay, basically anything Yuzuru Hanyu does, but with all single jumps. :eek::

And as always, deeper edges and better knee bend!
Lol until recently my camel was the same! I love seeing axels from a back counter! Heres hoping this time next year we'll both have a 1A and maybe some doubles [emoji6]

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Lol until recently my camel was the same! I love seeing axels from a back counter! Heres hoping this time next year we'll both have a 1A and maybe some doubles [emoji6]

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm really good at staying in the position. I just... don't rotate. And then I try to twitch the leg that's in the air to force myself to rotate, which is good for maybe another quarter of a turn and probably looks ridiculous. :laugh:

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Good luck!

Yeah, I'm really good at staying in the position. I just... don't rotate. And then I try to twitch the leg that's in the air to force myself to rotate, which is good for maybe another quarter of a turn and probably looks ridiculous. [emoji23]
It is very important to keep very strong and straight body positions during a spin, for example on a camel spin: straighten knees, free leg extension, strong back and arms position. Also very important is entry, of course, should be a very good edge, you have to feel the timing, no rush but at the same time not too slow. The edge on the entry is probably what you need to work on most as that is what will allow you to actually spin in your spin [emoji28]. So thats why it is very important to practice outside/inside edges. Strong standing leg and ankle position is important as well to avoid traveling, so there are sooo many things
Hope this helps [emoji4]

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
My goals for 2020:
Get a clean and consistent 2A
Improve my layback spin position
Improve my miserably failing 3S
Stay calm and breathe before every competition
Work on my mental wellbeing
Have more faith in myself and believe that I am good enough and that I can do it
And one that will only ever exist in my dreams, to meet Sasha Trusova [emoji23][emoji28][emoji51][emoji58][emoji53][emoji24] Maybe some day haha

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
It is very important to keep very strong and straight body positions during a spin, for example on a camel spin: straighten knees, free leg extension, strong back and arms position. Also very important is entry, of course, should be a very good edge, you have to feel the timing, no rush but at the same time not too slow. The edge on the entry is probably what you need to work on most as that is what will allow you to actually spin in your spin [emoji28]. So thats why it is very important to practice outside/inside edges. Strong standing leg and ankle position is important as well to avoid traveling, so there are sooo many things
Hope this helps [emoji4]
Good point with the entry edge! This was my issue - my edges were fine but I kept rushing the edge and fell out of the spin 90% of the time. Now I'm starting to get the feel of the timing of it

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
My goals for 2020:
Get a clean and consistent 2A
Improve my layback spin position
Improve my miserably failing 3S
Stay calm and breathe before every competition
Work on my mental wellbeing
Have more faith in myself and believe that I am good enough and that I can do it
And one that will only ever exist in my dreams, to meet Sasha Trusova [emoji23][emoji28][emoji51][emoji58][emoji53][emoji24] Maybe some day haha
Good luck on your 2A and 3S! And especially good luck with the mental based goals!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Good point with the entry edge! This was my issue - my edges were fine but I kept rushing the edge and fell out of the spin 90% of the time. Now I'm starting to get the feel of the timing of it
That's good that its improving! You'll get there, it just takes practice [emoji119][emoji173][emoji960]

SmallAminal

On the Ice
My goal is to get back on the ice. Its been 9 months since I've skated (due to recurring injuries). I hope to work hard on my body so its in good shape to get back on the ice. I'm going to leave it at that - I feel like that's a big enough goal for me right now...

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
My goal is to get back on the ice. Its been 9 months since I've skated (due to recurring injuries). I hope to work hard on my body so its in good shape to get back on the ice. I'm going to leave it at that - I feel like that's a big enough goal for me right now...
Good luck! Hope you make it back on the ice in the coming year!

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
Update: this morning I 'landed' my first axel according to my coach. BUT it was slightly < and my legs werent crossed.....so I'm not going to count it haha. My 2020 goal is for a fully rotated axel with crossed legs now!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Update: this morning I 'landed' my first axel according to my coach. BUT it was slightly < and my legs werent crossed.....so I'm not going to count it haha. My 2020 goal is for a fully rotated axel with crossed legs now!
If your coach said you landed it then it must have been good!! Well done!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] Yeah there is always room for improvement eg. cross legs, tight jump position but if you fully rotated and landed it then it still counts so well done!!! Keep practicing and good luck with it [emoji4][emoji119][emoji960]

gracestaniforth

Rinkside
If your coach said you landed it then it must have been good!! Well done!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] Yeah there is always room for improvement eg. cross legs, tight jump position but if you fully rotated and landed it then it still counts so well done!!! Keep practicing and good luck with it [emoji4][emoji119][emoji960]
Thank you!![emoji1] [emoji1]

Ducky

On the Ice
Finally get all my single jumps back without two footing them.
Start working on a 1A and probably a double toe (I'm the rare adult skater who LOVES toeloops)
Get a decent camel spin, work on Camel to sit spin
Get to a point where my legs are together in my sit spin
Backspins backspins backspins
Better knee bend and point my toes in ice dance
Holding my entry edges on ~EvErYtHiNg~
Pass Silver Moves in the Field
Finish choreographing a program and enter at least either one show or competition

Otoh, I've somehow managed to get my scratch spin to be super centered and legit fast.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Finally get all my single jumps back without two footing them.
Start working on a 1A and probably a double toe (I'm the rare adult skater who LOVES toeloops)
Get a decent camel spin, work on Camel to sit spin
Get to a point where my legs are together in my sit spin
Backspins backspins backspins
Better knee bend and point my toes in ice dance
Holding my entry edges on ~EvErYtHiNg~
Pass Silver Moves in the Field
Finish choreographing a program and enter at least either one show or competition

Otoh, I've somehow managed to get my scratch spin to be super centered and legit fast.
Good luck with these! You'll be great! Haha, someone who I skate with is an adult and her favourite jump is toe-loop too [emoji13] I'd say my favourite is lutz (although I am not an adult skater ahah)