Parabolic Blades | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Parabolic Blades

hanca

Record Breaker
I used to skate with Phantoms, and once I needed to replace my blades quite quickly (bad sharpening and I completely lost my rocker!) and they had only Phantom parabolic. I was worried about it, but quite honestly, I couldn’t really see much difference. Within five minutes it was as if I always had them. Saying that, I wouldn’t say they were better or worse than just normal Phantom blades. For me, no preference. If I needed new blades, I would buy whichever they had in the shop - Phantom or Phantom parabolic - it wouldn’t matter to me. If parabolic were more expensive, I wouldn’t want to pay the extra though because for my level of skating (single jumps), I wasn’t really feeling them being better than non-parabolic. They felt the same. But that’s my experience. Maybe there is someone who appreciates the difference.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I stuck with original Phantoms because I've worn them for the better part of 25 years + I'm old and any drastic change would be shell shock! My work skates currently have MK Pros and those are not bad either but I don't do much jumping in them.

Haven't done any dedicated ice dancing in years as there is not much opportunity these days. :-(
I considered the Phantom Revolutions but the added expense wasn't worth it to me.

I think that's fair enough! I wouldn't have picked the Parabolic over the normal Phantoms - and certainly wouldn't have paid more for Parabolic - but these were a random eBay bargain and a good £100 off list price, so cheaper than normal ones. Personally, I don't see the point of the Revolution blades unless you're a tiny jumping bean or working on triples and quads. I actually really dislike the look of them. I don't like the Matrix ones, either! But then I'm very old and very grumpy... :biggrin:

I used to skate with Phantoms, and once I needed to replace my blades quite quickly (bad sharpening and I completely lost my rocker!) and they had only Phantom parabolic. I was worried about it, but quite honestly, I couldn’t really see much difference. Within five minutes it was as if I always had them. Saying that, I wouldn’t say they were better or worse than just normal Phantom blades. For me, no preference. If I needed new blades, I would buy whichever they had in the shop - Phantom or Phantom parabolic - it wouldn’t matter to me. If parabolic were more expensive, I wouldn’t want to pay the extra though because for my level of skating (single jumps), I wasn’t really feeling them being better than non-parabolic. They felt the same. But that’s my experience. Maybe there is someone who appreciates the difference.

I think the difference is most likely to be felt by skaters with great edges and turns although I'm sure Ic3Rabbit will correct me on this if I'm wrong! What I know from yesterday's initial testing is that when I was just wafting around and teaching, I didn't feel any difference from how I remember my normal Phantoms. When I pushed the envelope a bit edge-wise, there was a definite difference and I'm really looking forward to pushing that a bit further to see where it takes me. I really think I'm going to have fun. I'll report back. In the interests of science...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think that's fair enough! I wouldn't have picked the Parabolic over the normal Phantoms - and certainly wouldn't have paid more for Parabolic - but these were a random eBay bargain and a good £100 off list price, so cheaper than normal ones. Personally, I don't see the point of the Revolution blades unless you're a tiny jumping bean or working on triples and quads. I actually really dislike the look of them. I don't like the Matrix ones, either! But then I'm very old and very grumpy... :biggrin:

I think the difference is most likely to be felt by skaters with great edges and turns although I'm sure Ic3Rabbit will correct me on this if I'm wrong! What I know from yesterday's initial testing is that when I was just wafting around and teaching, I didn't feel any difference from how I remember my normal Phantoms. When I pushed the envelope a bit edge-wise, there was a definite difference and I'm really looking forward to pushing that a bit further to see where it takes me. I really think I'm going to have fun. I'll report back. In the interests of science...

No, you're right. That is why I used them and suggested them to you, great edges. :rock:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
No, you're right. That is why I used them and suggested them to you, great edges. :rock:

Well, I had the time of my life this morning. Hadn't realised quite how much I hated the MK Dance! Let rip with the dancing today and loved every minute. Didn't even worry about my dodgy leg. In actual fact, I didn't even give it a thought, just enjoyed the edges and that longer heel. And my spins would appear to be back, too. Happy days. :yahoo:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, I had the time of my life this morning. Hadn't realised quite how much I hated the MK Dance! Let rip with the dancing today and loved every minute. Didn't even worry about my dodgy leg. In actual fact, I didn't even give it a thought, just enjoyed the edges and that longer heel. And my spins would appear to be back, too. Happy days. :yahoo:

Hooray WednesdayMarch!! Amazing, isn't it?!

And I'm checking in to tell you that I got my "regular" Phantoms mounted and sharpened yesterday and I too had such ease of skating today! Skating, spins, MITF (OMG so much easier), and most jumps.
New blades. Everyone should have them!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hooray WednesdayMarch!! Amazing, isn't it?!

And I'm checking in to tell you that I got my "regular" Phantoms mounted and sharpened yesterday and I too had such ease of skating today! Skating, spins, MITF (OMG so much easier), and most jumps.
New blades. Everyone should have them!!!

:hap93: :dance3: :yes2:

I am so glad to hear this from both of you, you are both always welcome and I'm glad I could help!