Sacrificial metal to stop blades rusting | Golden Skate

Sacrificial metal to stop blades rusting

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Dear other members,
I know that more reactive metals such as zinc and magnesium have been used on boats to prevent the ship from rusting, and was just wondering if a similar thing could be used with blades.
I currently own carbon fibre boots, and the only downside I'm having is screws corrode faster due to: "Carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion."

(Couldn't explain it very well so just copied explanation from a website)...

I was just wondering if it might be possible to just strips of zinc or magnesium to allow them to be a sacrificial metal, and rust instead of the screws. I heard of people using this for Chef's knifes so the idea just popped into my head,

Thanks,
Kolyadafan :)

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
It will definitely work. However, those surfaces and parts that are already covered with corrosion are best either cleaned or replaced with new ones (screws).
I add that you need a very good contact of the strips of zinc or magnesium with the surface of the metal. Optimal, in my opinion, in the form of washers for blade mounting screws. It is also necessary to periodically check and replace them, because the thickness of the washers will decrease with time.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Dear other members,
I know that more reactive metals such as zinc and magnesium have been used on boats to prevent the ship from rusting, and was just wondering if a similar thing could be used with blades.
I currently own carbon fibre boots, and the only downside I'm having is screws corrode faster due to: "Carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion."

(Couldn't explain it very well so just copied explanation from a website)...

I was just wondering if it might be possible to just strips of zinc or magnesium to allow them to be a sacrificial metal, and rust instead of the screws. I heard of people using this for Chef's knifes so the idea just popped into my head,

Thanks,
Kolyadafan :)
What boots are you wearing? Ones with thin soles (such as Edea or Risport) that require custom screws? Or ones with normal thickness soles (such as Jackson) that use regular sheet metal screws? If the latter, you could consider buying stock Type 316 stainless steel screws. Corrosion won't be eliminated, but will be greatly reduced relative to plated steel or Type 304 stainless steel screws.