The future of Stars on Ice? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The future of Stars on Ice?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
SOI is little more than a competition gala in its current format.

Look at what Cirque du Soleil is doing with their ice shows.
https://youtu.be/a1OkY4Hk_H0

How can anyone take SOI seriously after seeing that?

Sadly, I agree with you. When Scott Hamilton was involved with stars on ice, it was way more than a gala. The last time the show came to Spokane, the event was advertised on TV and in the paper. No one came.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris, this is not all directed at you, you just gave me a jumping off point. :rock:

Yes, and SOI had 3 month almost every night a show in a different town on their tours then. Varied cast of Russians, Canadians, Americans, Finns, Germans, Brits, and more. The US was still swept up in the craziness that was the Nancy/Tonya drama.

When that died down, so did the sport, COI died of bankruptcy. SOI monopolized on that and hiked prices and toured less cities. The format of the shows greatly changed.

When existing tours open their eyes and realize what the fans in the US really want and stop assuming what we want on the tour or that we will settle for mediocrity, then and only then would a tour close to those of the heyday of the 80s and 90s/00's really happen. Otherwise, arenas keep getting more and more empty for these events because it and the crazy ticket prices. My father used to get me tickets to see the tour every year growing up and we thought 50 dollars for the two of us to attend with decent seats was expensive then! :laugh: SOI ice seats are now well over 150 dollars per seat! :hslap:

The cost and monotony of group programs that don't pull people in is helping kill skating tours in the USA. Canada does not have this problem and that is why they fill or almost fill every arena, and probably why SOI isn't even bothering with a US tour in the Spring (other than CA).

It's sad. I hate to see the sport that is my life die, I grew up watching these amazing tours with skaters from all over the world and I strived to be just like them, and now that I and others are: The goal we wanted as kids is gone other than going overseas or across the border.

Also sadly, I agree with you about the monotony. You will forgive my memory but I think it was 1998 COI and that was my first live event. 70 shows in 57 cities. 30 skaters. I got the last seat or almost the last in Spokane. I fell in love with Anjelika Krylova. I loved the format more than the Scott Hamilton Stars on ice format cause it was more like watching famous skaters do their comp programs. I was shocked at how physically small the skaters were but there was nothing small about their talent. I was hooked. But 4 years later I got to see a real comp in Spokane. SkateAmerica 2002. The Hughs girl didnt show up so MK came and won. An attendance record was set, IIRC.

Well, the roar of the crowds seems to be gone here...I am thankful that in Japan there are still people who appreciate beauty and artistry.....

noskates

Record Breaker
Not to beat a dead horse, but I have only missed 2 years. I don't think SOI has gone downhill significantly during that time and I did see the television airing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Apparently it did because unless you're mostly in CA (which will probably be gone sooner than later) Canada or Japan, you aren't seeing the tour in the US format. Plus, it's edited and they don't really show the group numbers which are the problem.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I suspect the reasons for the show's death in the US are complex. Our society has changed....many sports are less popular.....At any rate, before I was hooked on competition, in 2002, we really liked ice shows, espeically Champions on Ice. We would get on the ice seats.
Here is the cast of COI from 2002. 93 shows in 85 cities. 27 skaters..and the arenas werent empty.....

OMG I've heard of that photo's existence, but this is the first I've seen it! I can't believe they got the Russians wearing the stars and stripes.:laugh2:

Epic...

Hey, I think that funny looking kid in the center with the bowl haircut is foreign! :laugh2:

This is also the greatest thing. They put Plushy in the middle! :laugh2:

Right-click save on these!

On topic, here in Australia the biggest ice show we have is Disney on Ice, although the ice rink I go to has an annual show in April and since it was his home rink Brendan Kerry comes. :) I've seen it a couple of times and it's always fun! Although despite the fact the rink doesn't have much seating the second year I went it wasn't as well attended as the first time. Although I didn't go last year, so I'm not sure how the crowd numbers compared.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is not my own opinion but a sheer observation - probably the decline of the popularity in the US is due to the lack of dominance in the ladies field. It is the most iconic part of all 4 categories of the sport for the majority of the public, and US ladies have been slugging around for a few years. No more charismatic champions like Kristie Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen - Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold, with their typical glamorous all-american image kept it going for a few more years even if they weren't always among the medalists in big international competitions (but constantly considered "challengers to the apex"), and they don't have anyone like that either right now. Perhaps in a year or two, Alyssa Lieu may turn things around, cracking into the seemingly invincible Sambo bunch.

Agree for the most part. People in the States were interested in these skaters. I am not sure Yamaguchi would ever qualify as charismatic - popular, great skater, feminine, graceful and well detailed but charismatic probably not. But she and Kwan and Cohen had fans and the medals or linage to back it up. Nam, Jeremy, and Alyssa don't. Right now Russia, Japan and Korea is where there is the power. And yes in Europe Fernandez, Carolina and the Russians still draw. Nothing against Abbott but no world medal and prone to melt downs. Czisny a beautiful skater but again no world medal - not even the u ever popular one shot bronze medal ie. Nicole Bobek, Holly Cook, Karyn Cadavy, Gabby Daleman, Elena Vodoroveva (spelling?) Somehow we need to expand the market and captivate more people.

VegMom

On the Ice
I saw Stars on Ice in Anaheim in 2018 and it wasn't totally sold out but the best seats were all gone.
We go to Disney on Ice in Vegas every year and it always has a good crowd.
We will go see Axel in Vegas when it comes in April and I can report back about the crowd.

I think ice shows are not super popular in the US but I think a lot has to do with marketing and pricing.
I think it also has to do with how well American skaters do in the Olympics.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agree for the most part. People in the States were interested in these skaters. I am not sure Yamaguchi would ever qualify as charismatic - popular, great skater, feminine, graceful and well detailed but charismatic probably not. But she and Kwan and Cohen had fans and the medals or linage to back it up. Nam, Jeremy, and Alyssa don't. Right now Russia, Japan and Korea is where there is the power. And yes in Europe Fernandez, Carolina and the Russians still draw. Nothing against Abbott but no world medal and prone to melt downs. Czisny a beautiful skater but again no world medal - not even the u ever popular one shot bronze medal ie. Nicole Bobek, Holly Cook, Karyn Cadavy, Gabby Daleman, Elena Vodoroveva (spelling?) Somehow we need to expand the market and captivate more people.

Nothing against Abbott, but...

OH PLEASE. :hslap:

He's a 4 time US Champ, the first American GPF Champ in the last 3 decades and has an Olympic bronze.

And Nam is a 2 time Canadian Champ.

Please oh please tell me what lower performing skaters have to do on the tour then? Or should I say those that don't perform up to crazy standards? :rolleye:

ETA: Alissa shouldn't even qualify for this conversation because she was a last minute add on because H/B couldn't be there.

Seven Sisters

Medalist

He's a 4 time US Champ, the first American GPF Champ in the last 3 decades and has an Olympic bronze.

Plus, he’s an awesome skater, with astonishing musicality. Let’s not forget that!

But I agree that US fans tend to be more interested in the Ladies, and that the lack of a huge US star in Ladies does impact the appeal of ice shows in this country.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Plus, he’s an awesome skater, with astonishing musicality. Let’s not forget that!

But I agree that US fans tend to be more interested in the Ladies, and that the lack of a huge US star in Ladies does impact the appeal of ice shows in this country.

He's definitely amazing. ;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

And Nam is a 2 time Canadian Champ.

I really like his skating and enjoy it very much, but for the big audiences he has no medals from major competitions like Worlds and especially Olympics (was 9th and 12th):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Abbott

I saw his skating live at 2006 Finlandia Trophy (early in his career) and became a fan immediately.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really like his skating and enjoy it very much, but for the big audiences he has no medals from major competitions like Worlds and especially Olympics (was 9th and 12th):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Abbott

I saw his skating live at 2006 Finlandia Trophy (early in his career) and became a fan immediately.

He has a Team Bronze from 2014, and for many that is good enough. I don't need a wikipedia to tell me that about one of my favorites.

Not to mention he has so much that others don't have as far as movement, artistry, edgework and presence on the ice.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Agree for the most part. Somehow we need to expand the market and captivate more people.

I find it interesting that a beautiful artistic sport like skating is failing in the US and Spokane, yet bring in Shen Yun, and you have to fight for good seats...any seats.........and not only in Spokane but all around the world....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I apologize they certainly have medals but not the titles of Hamilton, Boitano, Witt, Sale and Pelletier, Oksana Baiul, Kwan, Slutskaya, Plushenko, Urmanov Peterenko et al.I can think of two Canadians without world medals - Josee Chouinard and Emanual Sandu who are mazing skaters with huge potential to win world medals but never did - they all don't have teh marketing power though or cachet of Olympic and world titleists. or medallists.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Again, medals don't always make a skater. From a pro and touring skater perspective: 9 out of 10 times if you entertain the audience, they don't give a fig about what medals you have or don't. They pay and come for a good show and being entertained.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I apologize they certainly have medals but not the titles of Hamilton, Boitano, Witt, Sale and Pelletier, Oksana Baiul, Kwan, Slutskaya, Plushenko, Urmanov Peterenko et al.I can think of two Canadians without world medals - Josee Chouinard and Emanual Sandu who are mazing skaters with huge potential to win world medals but never did - they all don't have teh marketing power though or cachet of Olympic and world titleists. or medallists.

funny you mention josée and emmanuel... because if it is a fact that both of them underperformed incompetition, except for each other's respective medals at GPF... however, if I had to name skaters without world medals maxing on pro careers, these two would be on top of my list... Josée did very well in pro competitions, especially since her money jump (the 3lutz) was a highlight while other ladies had already toned down their program... Her charming interpretations and her flair did her very well... Talk about a skater whose post-amateur skating life was much much more than her competitive life... Sandhu's life took him in so many directions, lately in Russia working with PLushenko...

I'd add to this list Lucinda Ruh who never won medals of any importance but was such a highlight in shows and tours... i would have loved to see her skate... one of a kind skater....

and well.. Elladj is already drawing crowds. Medals can get you opportunities for sure but they are not the only way to succeed... it's like school... some people can be at the top of their class but never land the big jobs....

so please, let's not belittle skaters like Jeremy or Nam or anyone on tour.. if they are there, it's because they earned it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
funny you mention josée and emmanuel... because if it is a fact that both of them underperformed incompetition, except for each other's respective medals at GPF... however, if I had to name skaters without world medals maxing on pro careers, these two would be on top of my list... Josée did very well in pro competitions, especially since her money jump (the 3lutz) was a highlight while other ladies had already toned down their program... Her charming interpretations and her flair did her very well... Talk about a skater whose post-amateur skating life was much much more than her competitive life... Sandhu's life took him in so many directions, lately in Russia working with PLushenko...

I'd add to this list Lucinda Ruh who never won medals of any importance but was such a highlight in shows and tours... i would have loved to see her skate... one of a kind skater....

and well.. Elladj is already drawing crowds. Medals can get you opportunities for sure but they are not the only way to succeed... it's like school... some people can be at the top of their class but never land the big jobs....

so please, let's not belittle skaters like Jeremy or Nam or anyone on tour.. if they are there, it's because they earned it.

:agree: :clap: