The future of Stars on Ice? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The future of Stars on Ice?

Honey20

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I agree, the costs are going up and thanks to social media we don’t need to see our favorite skaters in person. I think SOI needs a huge overhaul if they want things to turn around. As much as I love seeing Kurt skate, I don’t want to shell out $$$ if it means sitting in a cold rink and only getting to see him for a few minutes.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree, the costs are going up and thanks to social media we don’t need to see our favorite skaters in person. I think SOI needs a huge overhaul if they want things to turn around. As much as I love seeing Kurt skate, I don’t want to shell out $$$ if it means sitting in a cold rink and only getting to see him for a few minutes.

Your favorite skaters aren't going to survive on a day to day basis providing the things they need as well as doing what they love via social media. There needs to be outlets to perform, entertain, do what they love and make $$$. Now, do I think SOI overcharges recently, yes, do I think live skating shows should go away? NO.

Most skaters live for the ice and the chance to entertain and what they do best. All those years of sacrifice deserve to be acknowledged in more than medals can provide.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

Oh, it's different for me, I just love the opportunity to see my favorite skaters in person! In my country we only have Yagudin's and Plushenko's shows which are not doing the trick for me, but I compensate by going to competitions if I can. I don't have social media, but being able to tell a skater, face to face, that you enjoy what they do or wish them good luck (and they don't necessarily have to be my favorite), is just incomparable to an anonymous social media comment!
As a European fan of a number of overseas skaters, I'd love for shows to be more global, but I am afraid that wouldn't be financially viable. But I hope they carry on! And the sooner I'll be able to see skaters in person without the risk of Covid, the happier I'll be :)