Gracie Gold Embraces a Rugged Comeback Path | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Embraces a Rugged Comeback Path

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This whole Gracie comeback is giving me 1983 -1984 Elizabeth Manley vibes from when Liz was so depressed she gained a lot of weight and her hair began to fall out. She competed at Canadian Nationals and had a very distressing time in 1983, nearly quit, got healthy physically and mentally and came back stronger in 1984. I remember being concerned for her and relieved that she was able to turn things around so quickly. People and the CFSA were not always very supportive.

Elizabeth Manley skates her short program at the 1983 Canadian Figure Skating Championships in Montreal, Quebec.

Elizabeth Manley improves from her 4th place showing the previous year and winds up with her 2nd silver medal at the Canadian Championships, landing her a spot on the 1984 Olympic team along with Kay Thomson.

And didn't Elizabeth do one better at those Olympics, or was that in 1988? No, that was in 1988 but still. I'm just hoping Gracie will be happy with herself, and what she achieves. However, Elizabeth's story is one for the ages, never to be forgotten.