Gracie Gold Embraces a Rugged Comeback Path | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Embraces a Rugged Comeback Path

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you referring to GP Rostelecom in 2018? Since then, Gracie has skated in Regionals and Sectionals this year and neither skate was a “disaster”.

I especially loved her Sectionals performance. She was so happy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Lots and lots of people care about Gracie. If you read the 2019-20 US Ladies thread, a surprisingly large proportion of the posts, and even pages, are devoted to Gracie. Not a majority by any means, but a good percentage if you're counting, which I'm not; it's just a general observation.

I don't think we can judge interest in skating by comparing the US threads to the corresponding Russian threads. In the US threads, there just isn't as much interest in the kinds of conversations that go on in the Russian threads. (this is also just a perception on my part from occasional lurking; it may be wrong.) Personally, I'd enjoy more diverse or tangential conversation in US threads. But most subjects quickly get boiled down to "you support so-and-so or you don't, or you should;" or "So-and-so will likely win or medal, or needs to do "fill in the blank." Or current news about the skaters. Which is fine. It's just what's perceived as belonging in a thread.

I agree a lot of people love, respect and still cheer on Gracie in fact I would say for a woman who has not gone to Nationals in a few years and went to Cup of Russia last year when not prepared - seh has amazing support. There is also suggestion of financial suport to. Let's be real Gracie has a lot of loyal fans - the fact that she is talked about so much on GS and other forums and the media still loves her says a lot.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Does Gracie look like she's in good shape?I'm hoping she's put her issues in the past and can just look forward to a very bright future on and off the ice.

macy

Record Breaker
I want whatever is best for Gracie, but selfishly I miss the Instagram videos of her training.

i think it's time we let her competition outings do the talking. based on a recent interview, Gracie seems very determined and serious about competing at nationals. i hope she is able to compete how she practices!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Gracie look like she's in good shape?I'm hoping she's put her issues in the past and can just look forward to a very bright future on and off the ice.

I have no idea what she looks like, but she’s clearly in good shape based upon her Sectionals performance.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

You know you could look up her lastest performances and see for yourself that she is doing very well.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia won everything over Gracie who was a gorgeous skater. At times I disagreed. Frank Carroll felt it was unfair judging at times. I agree.

Except at the Olympics. Gracie came in 4th and Julia came in 5th, I think.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Except at the Olympics. Gracie came in 4th and Julia came in 5th, I think.

People forget that, in 2013 and 2014, Julia skated a lot of events without a major error in either program. She also earned a ton of GOE on her top-level spins. It wasn't easy to beat a skater like that unless you skated your best, and Gracie typically had one or more costly falls/pops in each competition.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Are you referring to GP Rostelecom in 2018? Since then, Gracie has skated in Regionals and Sectionals this year and neither skate was a “disaster”.
Yes I am El Henry. I should have said last major competition or international event. Rostelecom was painful to watch. I think I saw one of those qualifying skates. Will review. She is very brave to just compete for the challenge to herself even if she can not do the same technical content. My intent behind my words is I just don’t want her to repeat Rostelecom because she gets a bad case of nerves. If this is the last time we see her at a major event I just want her to do well and have the audience show her we appreciate her journey. That is my intention.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes I am El Henry. I should have said last major competition or international event. Rostelecom was painful to watch. I think I saw one of those qualifying skates. Will review. She is very brave to just compete for the challenge to herself even if she can not do the same technical content. My intent behind my words is I just don’t want her to repeat Rostelecom because she gets a bad case of nerves. If this is the last time we see her at a major event I just want her to do well and have the audience show her we appreciate her journey. That is my intention.

She placed in Regionals and Sectionals and qualified for Nationals, so that means something regarding being able to do the technical content.

princessalica

Final Flight
I get the concern, but I would definitely check out her Sectionals performance from this year. That is a much better indicator of her level of fitness than Rostelcom from over a year ago. Grace has improved by leaps and bounds. It is actually kind of cool just to watch her Regionals performance and then watch Sectionals, but if you really want to see the amount of improvement watch all three short programs starting with Rosetelcom, then Regionals, then Sectionals. At Sectionals she wasn't up to the level of Gracie of old, but it was such an incredible improvement. She has worked really hard for this comeback, and it is cool to see the progress, even if watching Rostelceom isn;t pretty.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get the concern, but I would definitely check out her Sectionals performance from this year. That is a much better indicator of her level of fitness than Rostelcom from over a year ago. Grace has improved by leaps and bounds. It is actually kind of cool just to watch her Regionals performance and then watch Sectionals, but if you really want to see the amount of improvement watch all three short programs starting with Rosetelcom, then Regionals, then Sectionals. At Sectionals she wasn't up to the level of Gracie of old, but it was such an incredible improvement. She has worked really hard for this comeback, and it is cool to see the progress, even if watching Rostelceom isn;t pretty.

I thought her improvement between Regionals and Sectionals was crazy. She didn’t even make tech minimums at Regionals and I think almost everyone had written her off for Sectionals. But she wasn’t going to be denied. And I don’t think she will be denied for Nationals either.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She placed in Regionals and Sectionals and qualified for Nationals, so that means something regarding being able to do the technical content.

Can you tell me what tech content she completed with positive goe in sp or Lp. Anyone?

SkateTM0102

On the Ice
Can you tell me what tech content she completed with positive goe in sp or Lp. Anyone?

Well just from looking at the protocols, at Sectionals in the short all of her elements has positive GOE, in the long 3Lo, CCoSp, StSq, 2F, 3S+2T, ChSq, FCCoSp, and LSp all had positive GOE. Some more positive than others...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Julia won everything over Gracie who was a gorgeous skater. At times I disagreed. Frank Carroll felt it was unfair judging at times. I agree.

It's not just Yulia, but also Liza Tuktamysheva and Radionova and then Medvedeva.

She was trained with the goal of winning events, but most of the time she always had 1-2 russians in front of her.

The only times were i felt Gracie was very much underscored was at the Team event in Sochi. In the free Gracie had an amazing clean skate, you can argue she should have won the free or at least get a score very close to Yulia, instead it was like 10-12 points below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxIiJ5_cibA

The other times was more her struggling with too much pressure, many times she had the chance to win and just lost it. (the most obvious one at Worlds)

Right now as she said, she is not training with the expectations of winning everything, it's more like she does it for the passion towards this sport.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I thought her improvement between Regionals and Sectionals was crazy. She didn’t even make tech minimums at Regionals and I think almost everyone had written her off for Sectionals. But she wasn’t going to be denied. And I don’t think she will be denied for Nationals either.

I hope she does well. Like most of the other competitors, Gracie can do all the jumps through the lutz. It will be a matter of whether she can reproduce what she does in practice during the competition. If she can keep it together and not lose focus on the easier jumps, she could finish as high as 4th. I just want her to do well enough that she remains motivated to improve and earn some international assignments next season.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope she does well. Like most of the other competitors, Gracie can do all the jumps through the lutz. It will be a matter of whether she can reproduce what she does in practice during the competition. If she can keep it together and not lose focus on the easier jumps, she could finish as high as 4th. I just want her to do well enough that she remains motivated to improve and earn some international assignments next season.

Me too!!! And 4th would be insane. That’s the pewter medal. And there’s a difference between not Gracie doing triple jumps and Gracie doing triple jumps.