Why does ISU have age limits on junior/senior when USFSA does not? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Why does ISU have age limits on junior/senior when USFSA does not?

pearly

Record Breaker
The whole vibe of this thread is: "America does it this way, why does the international body do it another way? Obviously the American way is superior and everyone should do it the American way" which is just....

I didn't have time to read the entire thread and therefore didn't feel I had any right to comment, but my thought when I read the title was that the OP is asking the wrong question. The question should be Why doesn't USFSA have age limits on junior/senior when ISU does.

Midian

Rinkside
You can't compare Nationals with Internationals. It's different prestige, different reward. Which leads to different motivation. It's not worth to risk a child health and future (limited education) for National Champion title if this child can't represent it's country abroad. But if it could, some parents and coaches would push their pupils hard, thinking only about their own dreams. A lot of little competitors are forced to train over the top not because they are prodigy but because they aren't. It would be much worse if there were no barriers to keep in mind.

I think I get what you mean when you say that this is only a matter of changing the judging system so that the judges rewarded something more than jumps. But the judges IMO are just the tip of the iceberg. And as long as it's the deal, it's better the way it is now.