Spinning Out | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Spinning Out

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, people jog in the snow in many places, including Idaho. Yes, if you're 16, you may still be taking certain skating tests. And yes many of us have been and are on the ice at 4 and 5 am training w/o a coach. Coaches aren't babysitters. And everytime one is on the ice training it is not always with coach.

I guess we are weenies. We go to the Y to jog in winter. Guess it is different in areas with more snowfall. I wasn’t thinking of “being 16” - I was more thinking of “being 16 and possessed of such massive talent that someone would pay me to skate with their son.” And then even after her expenses are (presumably) being paid and she’s living with Coach she keeps working at the ...bar? (Guess that has to happen so bartender and Olympic level skier can still crush on her).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I guess we are weenies. We go to the Y to jog in winter. Guess it is different in areas with more snowfall. I wasn’t thinking of “being 16” - I was more thinking of “being 16 and possessed of such massive talent that someone would pay me to skate with their son.” And then even after her expenses are (presumably) being paid and she’s living with Coach she keeps working at the ...bar? (Guess that has to happen so bartender and Olympic level skier can still crush on her).

Skating is very expensive. We have to make money and have lives outside of the rink. Many skaters work part time jobs in supermarkets, bars, restaurants etc.

And even if someone was paying for her to skate with their son, there's still tests she may not have passed because she didn't need to for her singles career.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts on "Spinning Out" - Netflix Drama Series

Skating is very expensive. We have to make money and have lives outside of the rink. Many skaters work part time jobs in supermarkets, bars, restaurants etc.

And even if someone was paying for her to skate with their son, there's still tests she may not have passed because she didn't need to for her singles career.

I’m aware it is expensive and am so grateful to all of the families and the skaters themselves who take this path when they might have chosen something far cheaper than skating. I’m starting to think it’s more expensive than equestrian, where you’re often riding someone else’s horse, and car racing, where you’re usually driving someone else’s car. I was specifically referring to a scenario in the show where the father of the pairs guy approached her in the bar/restaurant thing and said, basically “Hey, come skate with my son and I will pay all your expenses. You’re already working for me (at the bar), your paycheck would just be coming from another source.” Am I not right in that pairs guys are in demand and no one would offer to pay a pairs girls (especially one that has never skated pairs at all and has just failed her test and quit skating) expenses (in addition to their kids of course)? To me it was just completely over the top ridiculous, and kind of denigrates all that real skaters do go through for their sport. Just my opinion.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
i'm pretty into the show right now. Im at episode 8. I have no real issues with it. The only part that has annoyed me is how annoying Kat is when shes off her meds and practising. Like I'm ready to kill her for Justin lol. I'm just honestly really enjoying the fact that there is a full series show about skating as the main topic.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m aware it is expensive and am so grateful to all of the families and the skaters themselves who take this path when they might have chosen something far cheaper than skating. I’m starting to think it’s more expensive than equestrian, where you’re often riding someone else’s horse, and car racing, where you’re usually driving someone else’s car. I was specifically referring to a scenario in the show where the father of the pairs guy approached her in the bar/restaurant thing and said, basically “Hey, come skate with my son and I will pay all your expenses. You’re already working for me (at the bar), your paycheck would just be coming from another source.” Am I not right in that pairs guys are in demand and no one would offer to pay a pairs girls (especially one that has never skated pairs at all and has just failed her test and quit skating) expenses (in addition to their kids of course)? To me it was just completely over the top ridiculous, and kind of denigrates all that real skaters do go through for their sport. Just my opinion.

I can say I've seen it all and some parents are super crazy to get their kid to the highest levels of the sport. So if something like needing a pairs partner is the only thing keeping them from that, they would pay (especially if they are a richer parent) to have a girl skate with their son. It's been done many times, singles girls pulled for pairs, so it's not like they are basing this show on some absurd notion.

I mean, with dance many times skaters have been pulled from other countries and more to skate with someone so anything goes in this sport.

SkatingWithEdges

Rinkside
I'm not sure ep 5 or 7 when jenn skate and fail because of her leg injuries , she wearing dress is same as Kim Yuna outfit in 2011 World free program "Homage to Korea" ( i thinks Jenn wearing Yuna dress in real life)

This series is good , Johnny weird acting is so funny ��

All actors is great acting

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Started watching it too. It's pretty awful imo, but... I somehow still keep watching

hanca

Record Breaker

Wasn’t Tkachenko bought by some rich US father to skate with his daughter? I am not sure if he only got the offer and declined it, or if he accepted it, but I seem to remember hearing something about this years ago.

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
Kat mentioned a triple twist once, when convincing Justin to upgrade their content, but we never saw one :laugh:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Blades of Glory is still the best fs show of all time XD
That being said, this show is just not good. Too much drama and not so much skating.
Apart from technical issues, I find the acting unconvincing. And I love Prim (Serena) in hunger games.
The most annoying part is the mom's acting which has zero impact.
The only one I liked is Jenn.

They took costume inspiration from Tessa's Moulin Rouge dress (worn by kat), Yuna's Homage to Korea and Yuna's Adios Nonino but in black (both worn by Jenn).

kappa_1

On the Ice
I think if you compare it to all the other skating dramas that came before it, the show is actually pretty accurate! Of course many details are much different than real life skating, but I can certainly suspend belief for the drama (it's not a documentary). I just tell myself that in this universe things are different. For instance, maybe in this universe in this ice rink, test sessions are 6 months apart. And maybe in this universe, Kat really is a once in a generation talent (maybe Kim Yuna, Mao Asda, Kwan ,Cohen, Trusova etc. don't exist). Also, as other posters have said, it is not a show about skating, but about mental health and teen angst set with figure skating as a backdrop. Like other posters I was a little annoyed that they had the mom freak out shortly after missing a Lithium dose, but hey, bipoplar has been portrayed much worse in media, too. But above all, I appreciated that there were no skating in spotlights! For an uber realistic skating drama, I just watch what's going on in the real world :laugh:

The writing and acting aren't perfect, but I am finding the series enjoyable so far!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finished watching the whole thing and overall I was kind of meh - too much of a soap opera and way too many characters, with underdeveloped storylines - yet everyone had some kind of struggle in their life. I even fast forwarded the episode where Kat throws the "rager" and Justin's step-mom gives birth. I did like the step mom character and her friendship & support of Carol (Kat's mom) - they had some nice moments together.

I want to support a show about figure skating, in the efforts that casual fans who watch this show might be inspired to check out a competition or youtube videos. I remember "Yuri on Ice" got some people interested in the sport. But this was not it.

SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN"T FINISHED

I was also annoyed that we didn't get to see Kat and Justin's R&J free skate. So we have no idea if they skated well or made it to Nationals. It was odd b/c Trentt and Evelyn (who where doubles for the leads) posted a picture of the four of them in the R&J costumes. They must've filmed some skating or perhaps it was from an earlier episode?

I also wondered if the bits with Carol hitting the pedophile doctor with the baseball bat was a fantasy; same with with Dasha and her lost love turning up at the last minute.

I might watch another season if it's renewed, but I hope they pare down the characters and get some better writing, b/c there could be a good show in here.

ETA: As the OP of this thread, I'm pleased to see that it's made it to 5 pages, lol.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I have to admit I am obsessed with this show even though it's not exactly accurate when it comes to the sport itself :biggrin: but hey, what can I say - I LOVE drama and I LOVE figure skating so it's like the perfect show for me :biggrin:

I'm a few episodes in and it's your typical skating melodrama. So far I've found it quite similar to the Cutting Edge series. Edgy boy meets stereotypical ice princess and together they resolve their issues by learning to trust one another through pairs skating. There's a token Russian coach. The usual.

Being a skating fan, I have to laugh when they talk about Kaya Scodelario's character Kat as a "once-in-a-generation talent" next to the actual quality of the skating, but it's still fun and mindless to watch. I'm not totally sold on Johnny Weir's role in the series since he's such a distinctive personality, and its hard to separate him as he is in real life from his character on the show. The JVN cameo cracked me up though, and I think the actress who plays Leah looks a lot like Stanislava Konstantinova.

I frekin loved Johnny here! He's such a pleasure to watch :luv17:

I'm watching it now. On Episode 6.

So much crazy with the skating stuff. I mean, OMG! Serena landed a 3-2 combo, she can win Nationals!!

(...)

That was just beyond funny :laugh:

I feel like the technical difficulty inaccuracies are a factor of them not having stunt doubles who can do 3-3s. If the show is popular, maybe they can up the cgi and doubles next year. Would be nice to have more cameos too.

The silliest thing to me though is that the story revolves around two 21 year old ladies who have never been to nationals and yet are serious Olympic contenders for 2022. Never heard of that happening before. At least the younger sister is somewhat age appropriate.

I agree that they probably just didn't have a stunt double to do a 3-3, that's why they kind of created a reality where a 3-2 could win you a competition. Can't blame them for it, and also it is a TV Show, not a document. If anybody is interested in a docu series that show real sport I recommend Cheer, also on Netflix :) Also I think a 21 year old pair lady with aspirations to make the Olympics is not unrealistic at all. Pairs and ice dance athletes are usually older than singles.
Sui Wenjing is 24, so she was 22 when she won Olympic silver.
Aljona Savchenko - sure she's an Iron Queen but still - she won gold at 33 ;)
Meagan Duhamel was 30 when they won bronze.

(...)

Why is everything so dark and depressing? Why is the main character mentally ill? Why did it have to be done? I want to watch about sports, about figure skating, I want to enjoy. Why am I being shown a character who bites herself bloody and is going crazy in a store right now? Yes, mental illness exists, alas. There are a lot of bad things in the world. But the very fact that bad things exist does not mean that they necessarily need to be included in the series about figure skating. What the hell?
Because it is a TV Series and not a documentary. They have to make it more interesting to make views = money. It's very simple.

Why are they always drinking? How can her partner be a top athlete if he regularly gets drunk in the evenings?
Because they are human.

People, do not take offense, but the sister of the main character does not look as a "super-promising" single skater. I mean the body complexion. As I understand it, the story takes place in our world (at least they're talking about the 2022 Beijing Olympics), in our Universe, with our physical laws and our gravity :laugh: (...)

Why every time somebody says "no offense" they are SUPER offensive right after? Her body is completely normal and fine. The "standard" you are implying is normal is actually not. I wouldn't mind them showing skaters with eating disorders though, it is quite common unfortunately.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I didn't like it. I hated the swearing, it wasn't necessary to tell the story. I wish there had been more skating scenes. The acting was awful and the people were awful.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I have to admit I am obsessed with this show even though it's not exactly accurate when it comes to the sport itself [emoji3] but hey, what can I say - I LOVE drama and I LOVE figure skating so it's like the perfect show for me [emoji3]

I frekin loved Johnny here! He's such a pleasure to watch :luv17:

That was just beyond funny [emoji23]

I agree that they probably just didn't have a stunt double to do a 3-3, that's why they kind of created a reality where a 3-2 could win you a competition. Can't blame them for it, and also it is a TV Show, not a document. If anybody is interested in a docu series that show real sport I recommend Cheer, also on Netflix :) Also I think a 21 year old pair lady with aspirations to make the Olympics is not unrealistic at all. Pairs and ice dance athletes are usually older than singles.
Sui Wenjing is 24, so she was 22 when she won Olympic silver.
Aljona Savchenko - sure she's an Iron Queen but still - she won gold at 33 ;)
Meagan Duhamel was 30 when they won bronze.

Because it is a TV Series and not a documentary. They have to make it more interesting to make views = money. It's very simple.

Because they are human.

Why every time somebody says "no offense" they are SUPER offensive right after? Her body is completely normal and fine. The "standard" you are implying is normal is actually not. I wouldn't mind them showing skaters with eating disorders though, it is quite common unfortunately.
Consider age vs circumstances or body styles.

Ekaterina Gordeeva won her second OGM after giving birth to her first child.

This is likely more difficult than participating in Olympics with a slightly not ideal body shape.