You Know You're a Figure Skater When... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skater When...

Ducky

On the Ice
When you're incapable of listening to music with out choreographing a routine to it in your head.

You're tempted to do off ice exercises in the long hallway near the break room because something about that space says 'off ice axels.' And work on spirals and shoot the ducks in the company bathroom (when no one is around of course).

Nimyue

On the Ice
When you're incapable of listening to music with out choreographing a routine to it in your head.

You're tempted to do off ice exercises in the long hallway near the break room because something about that space says 'off ice axels.' And work on spirals and shoot the ducks in the company bathroom (when no one is around of course).

haha I regularly to off ice jumps in the bathroom and hallway. I've been caught doing spirals etc in the break room also.

LanaD

Rinkside
when you wish you would ride an elevator without anyone else there as it is a perfect place to work on your spiral and wish you had to go up or down the maximum floors as possible :)

skatingbeast

Rinkside
Country
United-States
• When your relaxing evening of watching TV means sitting on the floor to stretch and foam roll
• When your coworkers catch you with figure skating competitions playing one one of your screens at your desk
• When you spend your commute marking out dance patterns to music
• When your coworkers know not to schedule morning meetings with you bc they know there's a 75% chance you'll be skating that morning
• When your most played playlist is called "skating music"

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When certain chairs and car seats drive you crazy because it's nearly impossible to sit up straight, and you work way too hard on your posture to let it be destroyed by a piece of furniture...

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
When the workplace computer lab clears out and the whole floor seems deserted, so you start practicing jumps. :laugh:

...A coworker walked by just as I had landed one. I think I managed to play it off as tripping over something and sit down before I got in any insurance trouble...

cl2

Final Flight
...when you take a whole week of "staycation" just to skate all day every day the whole time. (And Boss feels sorry for you for not having a "real vacation")

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Ugh, one just came up that hopefully most of you aren't clumsy enough to relate to:

When your figure skater's anti-fall reflexes have probably saved you thousands in medical bills throughout your life. (knocking wood) :slink:

I’m not clumsy but occasionally I will hit my toepick and when those moments occur I call myself the master of stumbling-until-I-don’t-fall [emoji23][emoji23]

Vicki7

On the Ice
When it snows and your non skater friends say you should skate to work and your instant reaction is "nooo, no blades on concrete!"

skybrigade

Rinkside
When your most important concern is always about where the nearest ice rink is located, any time you travel anywhere....

I love traveling but there's a guilt that comes with not practicing... The only time this bit me in the ass was when I took my skates with me to New York and the TSA agent couldn't figure out that they were okay to carry on and made me miss my flight.

LOL, or in a windowless room at work that very few people besides you have access to... or at the bus stop if the bus is late, thereby scaring the pants off people who don't know what you're doing and think you might hurt yourself...

Iiiii do this. I once did a half lutz waiting for an elevator and my coworker in the elevator thought I'd lost it.

...when you hit the rink super early or during school hours/lunch breaks/etc, just because there will be less kids there
...when your tax return / big check / saved up allowance is going towards one piece of extra/new equipment
...when you're caught stretching on break

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I’m not sure if I’m the only one who does this but I love to analyze what kind of skates people are wearing in movies if the movie involves figure skating. Sometimes I’ll even go out of my way to find the specific boot. For example, in ‘I, Tonya’ McKenna Grace wears the Jackson Elles and when Margot Robbie is dressed for the 1994 Olympics, she wears the Jackson Freestyles. I know they had body doubles doing the more advanced moves and for the triple axel a little movie magic, so they are the people that would be wearing the more advanced boots and blades. I just think it is funny to watch “Tonya” go out and try to do triple axels in a Jackson Freestyle boot.

cl2

Final Flight
... when you put in your most aggressive "YOU get out of MY way" glare when walking down the street.

... when you crisscrossed paths with a sea of other pedestrians on a crowded street without any collisions, and wonder if that's what synchronized skating feels like.

cl2

Final Flight
... when you're driving home from the rink with such speed and flow that you can "feel your edges."

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’m not sure if I’m the only one who does this but I love to analyze what kind of skates people are wearing in movies if the movie involves figure skating. Sometimes I’ll even go out of my way to find the specific boot. For example, in ‘I, Tonya’ McKenna Grace wears the Jackson Elles and when Margot Robbie is dressed for the 1994 Olympics, she wears the Jackson Freestyles. I know they had body doubles doing the more advanced moves and for the triple axel a little movie magic, so they are the people that would be wearing the more advanced boots and blades. I just think it is funny to watch “Tonya” go out and try to do triple axels in a Jackson Freestyle boot.

You're not alone! I noticed it too. What drove me crazy in that movie is that IRL Tonya wears Harlick boots.

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
You're not alone! I noticed it too. What drove me crazy in that movie is that IRL Tonya wears Harlick boots.

I tried to do the same thing with Spinning Out, specifically when the girl gets the tail end of her boot jammed through her foot. The small nameplate on the heel looks like what the Jackson Brand has but I couldn’t figure out what sole she was using, it was a lighter gray than the Jackson Debut Fusion and it wasn’t the Premier Fusion boot sole. I’m pretty sure it was a Jackson boot but Spinning Out is one show I couldn’t really figure out the skates.

Ducky

On the Ice
I tried to do the same thing with Spinning Out, specifically when the girl gets the tail end of her boot jammed through her foot. The small nameplate on the heel looks like what the Jackson Brand has but I couldn’t figure out what sole she was using, it was a lighter gray than the Jackson Debut Fusion and it wasn’t the Premier Fusion boot sole. I’m pretty sure it was a Jackson boot but Spinning Out is one show I couldn’t really figure out the skates.

This goes with my whole OMG continuity error gotcha in movies: it doesn’t really matter (also, bc they use various skaters who skate in different boots so continuity is not going to be possible).

ANYWAY, when your hockey playing hair stylist wonders if you were on the freestyle session this morning while you were wondering if the hockey player in the small ice was your hair stylist might mean you need a bigger circle of friends...

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
This goes with my whole OMG continuity error gotcha in movies: it doesn’t really matter (also, bc they use various skaters who skate in different boots so continuity is not going to be possible).

ANYWAY, when your hockey playing hair stylist wonders if you were on the freestyle session this morning while you were wondering if the hockey player in the small ice was your hair stylist might mean you need a bigger circle of friends...

I know it doesn’t really matter, and that it could just be a customized boot or some old model or whatever but it’s just something I like to do, especially when I’ve seen the movie more than a few times. I always like to nitpick movies and find details or continuity errors, etc. that I may have missed when watching it the first time around.