You Know You're a Figure Skater When... | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skater When...

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Based on the "you know you're a fan when" on The Edge. :biggrin:

...when having to wait for someone means a few minutes to practice spirals, stretch, etc.

...when staircases aren't an inconvenience but a free, no extra time required workout.

...when you regularly change directions off ice by turning on the ball of your foot like you're doing a 3-turn.

energywithin22

Rinkside
Based on the "you know you're a fan when" on The Edge. :biggrin:

...when having to wait for someone means a few minutes to practice spirals, stretch, etc.

...when staircases aren't an inconvenience but a free, no extra time required workout.

...when you regularly change directions off ice by turning on the ball of your foot like you're doing a 3-turn.

The latter two are true for me as well :D other ones:

1) always putting skates on in the correct order
2) feeling more sexy and confident in skating gear and skates than an elegant dress + high heels
3) wanting to scream at public skaters every public session, every ice rink
4) wanting to strangle people who claim figure skating is not a sport and it's easy........... (already mentally doing that, haha)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
... you're always broke
... you often look battered
... you have almost as many pairs of leggings as shoes but
... your favourite footwear has knives on the bottom and
... you loathe school holidays!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

A big mood right now! :devil: :laugh:

...when you find a rhinestone stuck in the tread of your hard guards
...and/or when you are constantly finding glitter on your non-skating stuff
...when you phone suggests words like "ROH" (radius of hollow), "swing rolls," and other skating terminology

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
... when you get more excited by the arrival of new blades than anything else.

New blades arrived today. I am beyond excited. I really should have grown out of this by now... :yahoo:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
When you've put makeup on your skating bruises so people don't worry that you have unpaid mob debts or something.

When you instinctively stick out a nice, straight free leg for balance when bending forward certain ways :laugh:

And if I ever "grow out" of getting excited about new blades, that will be a sad, sad day. :biggrin:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
... when you get more excited by the arrival of new blades than anything else.

New blades arrived today. I am beyond excited. I really should have grown out of this by now... :yahoo:

You never grow out of it. ;)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
. . .when you're walking down a hallway and someone behind you says, "You know, you walk like you're ice skating."

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
...when you purchase your own skate sharpening machine with just a figure skate holder.

...when the entire rink staff knows you by name.

...and they know if you've missed a freestyle session.

...when you've tried six pairs of different blades for your two new pairs of boots.

...you skate OK at age 70, but you're worried about skating at 80 and mention it to your doctor.

...you have boxes full of VHS tapes of skating competitions and shows with Dick and Peggy announcing.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When your foam roller is your favorite thing.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Ugh, one just came up that hopefully most of you aren't clumsy enough to relate to:

When your figure skater's anti-fall reflexes have probably saved you thousands in medical bills throughout your life. (knocking wood) :slink:

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
When you are so used to jumping that you end up sleeping with your feet crossed [emoji23]

Arwen17

Final Flight
3) wanting to scream at public skaters every public session, every ice rink

Hence why I just stopped going to public sessions completely. The frustration level finally got too high.

Because holidays make the freestyle sessions more crowded too....grumble...

When you’re unhappy the ice rink isn’t open during the holidays and you have to stay at home with nothing to do....

When you practice off-ice axel in ballet class...
When you practice pirouettes in off-ice session....
Because apparently you enjoy being contrary and doing the exact opposite of what you should be focusing on at the time.

When your most important concern is always about where the nearest ice rink is located, any time you travel anywhere....
And how you never really want to go anywhere because it would disrupt your access to your home rink...

When a hockey tournament causes all sessions to be canceled for the entire weekend.... you remember why you hate hockey so much, even though you’re no longer skating the public sessions with them.

When you try to convince everyone you know to come skating with you on a public session JUST ONCE, but almost nobody will... ugh...

I really don’t understand it. They know how well I skate, so it’s like they’re too embarrassed to even come to a public session. Even though I’m not expecting them to do anything, but cling to the wall. It would just be nice to have a friend in the rink for once! I’m an adult skater in a rink of children. Hanging out with anyone my own age in an ice rink is something I never get to do! The novelty is the fact they’re in the rink with me, regardless if they can skate or not.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
When you find yourself practicing off-ice jumps in P.E lessons

LOL, or in a windowless room at work that very few people besides you have access to... or at the bus stop if the bus is late, thereby scaring the pants off people who don't know what you're doing and think you might hurt yourself...

When your most important concern is always about where the nearest ice rink is located, any time you travel anywhere....

YES. First thing I always look up. :laugh: Only I like the opportunity to skate at different rinks, especially if they're the kind where you can't walk two feet without seeing a skater or coach or choreographer that you recognize. :love:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You've gotten to the point in the sport where you're sick and tired of people doing visit skates at the some of the same rinks just to fangirl.

Note: Elites and Pros are regular people too.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
You are covered in bruises.

You’ve had a 5 minute long discussion comparing different types of rhinestones. (Bonus points for accidentally gluing a crystal to your own hand).