Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine

ruga

Final Flight
Oh my... Really hope that's a mistake or 'fake news', but if it's not, then boy oh boy.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh dear.

Especially as cocaine is one of those drugs where there are a lot of off-ice implications, as opposed to just doing something that violates on-ice rules.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
"Sources close to the French Federation" could be a janitor. (That's a purposeful hyperbole, I know it's not really a janitor...)

Can we have a rule here for only official ISU communications? If this turns out to be fake, do we really need to have wondered if Laurine Lecavalier really does coke...?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I was (professionally) talking to some employees of our own Doping Authority once, and they have a list (freely available on internet, not just available for high level athletes) of all substances, even of nutritional supplements which are unsafe - I'm sorry to say those were mostly of Chinese origin. I suppose all these kind of authorities have such lists. Why not use that when you have a swelling, are feeling unwell, or whatever? Of course the team Medical official can help, but it's so easy to check. Not even mentioning cocaine. Really?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, it is a prohibited substance; it’s just not a performance enhancer.

It's one of the substances that WADA is reducing the penalty for in 2021, IIRC. From what I remember, a reasonable argument was made that as many recreational drugs detract from performance, particularly over the long term, and that many athletes who have used/abused them in the past have done so to self-treat physical and mental health issues (e.g., chronic pain*, depression), so their use should be treated more as a health issue than a cheating attempt/moral issue. WADA agreed.

That said, I very much hope that this is a mis-report, or someone stirring gossip about the reason for Laurine's absence from competition (we know the reason - repeated injuries). If it's not, I hope she gets all the physical and mental health support she needs.

*Hardly surprising in the case of cocaine, which was used as a surgical anaesthetic once upon a time.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Already being discussed here.

MODS: Can we have this merged with that thread? Thanks

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Already being discussed here.

MODS: Can we have this merged with that thread? Thanks

I would suggest the other way around, that the discussion in the other thread be moved into this thread. Because the story about Laurine is from a newspaper, and the other thread is supposed to be about ISU doping notifications.

CaroLiza_fan