Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would suggest the other way around, that the discussion in the other thread be moved into this thread. Because the story about Laurine is from a newspaper, and the other thread is supposed to be about ISU doping notifications.

CaroLiza_fan

In that case, can the title be adjusted to 'Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine', as there has been no official verification of the information?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In that case, can the title be adjusted to 'Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine', as there has been no official verification of the information?

Very good point, Harriet.

The title has now been changed accordingly, and the whole discussion has been moved to this thread.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, it is a prohibited substance; it’s just not a performance enhancer.

about performance enhancement :
it depends. if you are a gunshooting, it is definitely a performance enhancement drug... same with horseriders. for some, the adrenaline boost it apparently gives, can help with focusing on very precise tasks.

as a matter of fact, a canadian horse rider has been suspended for cocaine which may lead to the whole team being d/q from the team event at the tokyo games... i wouldn't brush it off so easily saying it's non performance enhancement because it can be

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just a similar example. During wimbledon 2007 swiss tennis player Martina Hingis was tested positively for cocaine (or, to be more precise, for its metabolite) and received 2 years ban from sport. So, if (and I underline if) this will be confirmed, Laurine probably will be punished.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a similar example. During wimbledon 2007 swiss tennis player Martina Hingis was tested positively for cocaine (or, to be more precise, for its metabolite) and received 2 years ban from sport. So, if (and I underline if) this will be confirmed, Laurine probably will be punished.

A more recent example I can think of is Paul Bird, a rally driver and owner of the team that has won the British Superbike Championship 5 times in the past 8 years. He tested positive for the metabolite of cocaine after winning a rally in 2015, and was given a 2 year ban. And then he came back to competing.

That said, he is now serving an 8 year ban for refusing to give a sample at a rally during the season after his comeback.

So, a 2 year ban does seem to be the standard punishment for the first misdemeanor.

Of course, fans like me are hoping that it turns out to be a false positive. But, failing that, the best we can hope for is that this was just a one-off. Because, at 23, she could realistically come back from a 2 year ban. But any longer, and it would in all probability be the end of her career.

CaroLiza_fan

zounger

Medalist
I'm with Laurine :rock: We all have bad moments (if that's the case anyway). I hope this incident doesn't stop her career. She is one of the most enjoyable ladies skaters.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Why is she looking at sanctions? She hasn’t competed anywhere as far as I know. The article doesn’t say which body but I’m assuming it’s through the French Federarion and not the ISU. She hasn’t appeared at an ISU event since last season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why is she looking at sanctions? She hasn’t competed anywhere as far as I know. The article doesn’t say which body but I’m assuming it’s through the French Federarion and not the ISU. She hasn’t appeared at an ISU event since last season.

usually, as soon as a test is positive, the federation will make sure the athlete doesn't compete... so that way, they can return earlier, at the date of testing.. however, the athletes are allowed to ask for counter testing and plead their cause, which can take several weeks... so the news come only to the public, usually when the counter testing is also positive...

a lot has to do with the quantity as well. The horse rider I was mentioning earlier has such a little quantity in her that it could be ruled as "accidental" or "contamination"

i m thinking she got tested in the early fall and then decided to w/d from every event until the sanction was pronounced

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Several tennis players have been hit with a cocaine poz test. McEnroe admitted to it back in the 80s. It can enhance performance. It could definitely help a skater out in a performance.

lappo

Final Flight
According to this new article, Laurine tested positive on 28 september 2019 after a French competition that she won. Unfortunately, the fact that she got tested after a competition and not on another moment means that she can face a longer period of suspension (she cannot claim to have used cocaine for recreational uses): https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...ontrole-positif-de-laurine-lecavelier/1095161
This is an unfortunate situation all around, I hope she can overcome this hard times very soon.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
usually, as soon as a test is positive, the federation will make sure the athlete doesn't compete... so that way, they can return earlier, at the date of testing.. however, the athletes are allowed to ask for counter testing and plead their cause, which can take several weeks... so the news come only to the public, usually when the counter testing is also positive...

a lot has to do with the quantity as well. The horse rider I was mentioning earlier has such a little quantity in her that it could be ruled as "accidental" or "contamination"

i m thinking she got tested in the early fall and then decided to w/d from every event until the sanction was pronounced

Okay, there are a couple of things to note here. First, the reasons Laurine hasn't competed internationally this season are well known. She's had several injuries since competing at the Masters de Patinage, most recently the torn thigh muscle and back injury that took her out of the GP (unless you think flagstaff's been lying on her behalf in her FanFest all season). Second, there has been no official statement about this allegation, either from the FFSG or from the ISU, so we have no information whatsoever as to when the test took place, what stage the testing process is at, whether she has appealed for a counter-test or even whether the allegation has any factual basis to it at all. 'Sources close to the FFSG' could mean DG's grumpy next-door neighbour, for all we know. Well-sourced investigative journalism in the Christine Brennan mould this story ain't, and a summary of what the consequences could be if the initial story is accurate is not a report on the specifics of Laurine's case.

Additionally, if the report is accurate, as Laurine hasn't competed internationally this season - or at all since the Masters - it's just as possible that the test in question was one of the random drug tests all eligible skaters have to do whenever the testers show up at their elbow as that it took place at a competition. That opens the question of whether any drug usage on her part was intended to be recreational, or even if she was self-medicating for pain in one of the many unhelpful ways elite athletes often do. Recreational usage of cocaine outside of competition attracts a lesser penalty, as IIRC it's only banned within competition.