Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine

pesto

On the Ice
Dan Evans got a year's ban for inadvertent contamination leading to an in-competition positive from his recreational use.

If this is an in-competition positive, I guess her best chance of a relatively short ban is probably a similar argument. If she could off with a year, backdated to September, it wouldn't be too disastrous.

French figure skating is having some bad news stories at the moment, eh?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gee, French figure skating is not going very well right now.

I feel bad for Laurine, I hope she's not in trouble addiction-wise or anything. Is it true that cocaine isn't actually banned outside competition? Or can she expect to be banned from competition for a while?

pesto

On the Ice
Is it true that cocaine isn't actually banned outside competition? Or can she expect to be banned from competition for a while?

Not banned by WADA outside of competition, but athletes need to make absolutely sure that no trace remains in their blood or urine in competition, even if their use was recreational.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Zero sympathy from me, sorry.

Well yeah obviously if she broke the rules she shouldn't get a pass, I meant it would be sad for anyone to have drug addiction issues :(

Anyway, hope everything works out for Laurine in any case.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Laurine is a very private person. She rarely even uses social media. I'm guessing that she's going through hell right now with this. I'm really worried about her, and I hope she's okay. [emoji170]

MaHa75

On the Ice
Laurine is a very private person. She rarely even uses social media. I'm guessing that she's going through hell right now with this. I'm really worried about her, and I hope she's okay. [emoji170]

But she is taking part todays Bolzano Passion Gala show...she was listed as performer :)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

She's made precisely one post on Instagram ever and when I thought to look last night somebody had already tracked it down and left a nasty comment. Smartly, she's now deleted it and turned off comments, so at least she doesn't have that to deal with. :(

Isn't it funny how much more press attention this is getting, with how much less information available to go on, than the allegations against Morgan Cipres, though?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Certain press like to create a scandal, and this kind of press if usually very patriotic and therefor not keen on the USA Today allegations against Cipres.

The cocaine in LeCavelier has been proven already? While the Cipres case is still only an accusation??

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Okay, there are a couple of things to note here. First, the reasons Laurine hasn't competed internationally this season are well known. She's had several injuries since competing at the Masters de Patinage, most recently the torn thigh muscle and back injury that took her out of the GP (unless you think flagstaff's been lying on her behalf in her FanFest all season). Second, there has been no official statement about this allegation, either from the FFSG or from the ISU, so we have no information whatsoever as to when the test took place, what stage the testing process is at, whether she has appealed for a counter-test or even whether the allegation has any factual basis to it at all. 'Sources close to the FFSG' could mean DG's grumpy next-door neighbour, for all we know. Well-sourced investigative journalism in the Christine Brennan mould this story ain't, and a summary of what the consequences could be if the initial story is accurate is not a report on the specifics of Laurine's case.

Additionally, if the report is accurate, as Laurine hasn't competed internationally this season - or at all since the Masters - it's just as possible that the test in question was one of the random drug tests all eligible skaters have to do whenever the testers show up at their elbow as that it took place at a competition. That opens the question of whether any drug usage on her part was intended to be recreational, or even if she was self-medicating for pain in one of the many unhelpful ways elite athletes often do. Recreational usage of cocaine outside of competition attracts a lesser penalty, as IIRC it's only banned within competition.

you need to read the post above yours....

icybear

Medalist
Jeez, French fed must be really :furious: now. Their top pair team is unlikely to compete again (unlikely although they're still performing at an ice show at the moment), their top male skater is coached by the coach under accusation from the Cipres scandal, and one of their top ladies is on cocaine. Just when you thought they had a chance in the team event in the olympics.

Amei

Record Breaker
Isn't it funny how much more press attention this is getting, with how much less information available to go on, than the allegations against Morgan Cipres, though?

Not really, doping and athletes is always a big deal. And comparing the 2 situations, the Cipres situation is a couple years old now when it has really 'come to light' whereas Lecavelier is a recent failed drug test.

DenissVFan

Medalist

I certainly hope that the consequences he faces will be more severe than those for Laurine.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not really, doping and athletes is always a big deal. And comparing the 2 situations, the Cipres situation is a couple years old now when it has really 'come to light' whereas Lecavelier is a recent failed drug test.

And her situation is currently, in terms publicly verified information, at the status of rumour while his involves an active SafeSport investigation with evidence in the case sighted by an experienced investigative reporter.

Unless FFSG says something soon it will look even more like they're happy to let somebody who (based the information currently available) has primarily harmed herself serve as a distraction from someone who has credibly been accused of a sex crime against a thirteen-year-old. But she's female, and low in status in the federation compared to Morgan who's on the FFSG board, so I guess being thrown under the bus is just what she has to expect, right?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Cocaine isn't a performance enhancer, per most research. It's actively bad for your health, particularly endurance.

It also plays havoc with your stamina. Unfortunately, I danced with a couple of people who took all kinds of things to help them get "Up" for a performance. It never worked out after the first act. :disapp:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hello posters:

Please remember that gossip and speculation about a skater’s personal life is prohibited by Goldenskate guidelines. Posts containing such speculation may be moderated by Forum staff.

Thank you for understanding!