Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier alleged to have tested positive for cocaine

micromegas

Rinkside
I don't quite understand why she would/could be suspended for this. It is not a performance enhancing drug. This probably explains her """""injuries"""" that has kept her out of competition

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't quite understand why she would/could be suspended for this. It is not a performance enhancing drug. This probably explains her """""injuries"""" that has kept her out of competition

I don’t know if you know much about coke but it doesn’t tend to tear thigh muscles, which is what was wrong with the skater in question.

Unless you’re accusing her of lying.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so many of you have missed this article.. and are still talking as if it is rumours... it is not. https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...ontrole-positif-de-laurine-lecavelier/1095161

Laurine was tested on september 28th at the French Masters... so IN COMPETITION. As it was in competition, she could be banned up to 4 years.

As I mentioned earlier, it is quite common that these kinds of news don't come up publicly right away as the athlete can ask for counter testing, can appeal (often when there is a contamination or tiny dose).... but what the federation does, is to remove the athlete from any competition.... i am not saying Laurine is not injured.... but even if she were in great shape, she wouldn't compete until the final verdict comes down... Coke in competition for a figure skater is uncanny for sure... I hope she can get through this.

Warwick360

Medalist
Dan Evans got a year's ban for inadvertent contamination leading to an in-competition positive from his recreational use.

If this is an in-competition positive, I guess her best chance of a relatively short ban is probably a similar argument. If she could off with a year, backdated to September, it wouldn't be too disastrous.

French figure skating is having some bad news stories at the moment, eh?

Forget Dan Evans. She can look at the case of her fellow countryman, tennis player, Richard Gasquet. Got ban removed by claiming he kissed a girl who may have done the substance herself. Not sure how he managed to prove that one.

cdimuzio68

Rinkside
so many of you have missed this article.. and are still talking as if it is rumours... it is not. https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...ontrole-positif-de-laurine-lecavelier/1095161

Laurine was tested on september 28th at the French Masters... so IN COMPETITION. As it was in competition, she could be banned up to 4 years.

As I mentioned earlier, it is quite common that these kinds of news don't come up publicly right away as the athlete can ask for counter testing, can appeal (often when there is a contamination or tiny dose).... but what the federation does, is to remove the athlete from any competition.... i am not saying Laurine is not injured.... but even if she were in great shape, she wouldn't compete until the final verdict comes down... Coke in competition for a figure skater is uncanny for sure... I hope she can get through this.

Thank you for your clarity. Laurie is one of my favorites, I'm hoping to see her in the future.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
This is so unfortunate for Laurine, her fans and for France. If true, I hope she gets the help she needs to get back to a healthier lifestyle. The world is full of many monsters and drugs is one of the ugliest.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It states that she was tested, but it doesn't state that that was the test she failed. Until we have more information, we can't draw that conclusion.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It states that she was tested, but it doesn't state that that was the test she failed. Until we have more information, we can't draw that conclusion.

I understand that you feel passionately about protecting Laurine, she is a lovely skater.:)

My understanding is that “contrôle positif” would mean positive test, or that she tested positively for a banned substance, in this case, cocaine. 4EverChan as a Francophone could correct me if I am wrong, but I will be guided by his reading of the article.

Would an ISU bulletin be more official? Yes. But these are reputable news sources in France, not the National Enquirer. The whole situation is very sad:sad21:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I understand that you feel passionately about protecting Laurine, she is a lovely skater.:)

My understanding is that “contrôle positif” would mean positive test, or that she tested positively for a banned substance, in this case, cocaine. 4EverChan as a Francophone could correct me if I am wrong, but I will be guided by his reading of the article.

Would an ISU bulletin be more official? Yes. But these are reputable news sources in France, not the National Enquirer. The whole situation is very sad:sad21:

Yes, my mistake; I misread the link and thought it was one leading to a previous article that did state she had been tested at the Masters but did not state that she had failed that test, and so didn't click through to read. Sorry for being sloppy. (It's 8am here and also my country is literally dying in a fire, can I be excused a little sloppiness in a thread that's been something of a trash fire of its own?)

I am very disappointed to learn that it was a test in competition. Under those circumstances, she's not just hurting herself but also her competitors and teammates. :( Extremely poor form.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ETA: a little translation of the relevant section for people.

Vingt-quatre heures après la publication de l'information du contrôle positif à la cocaïne de Laurine Lecavelier jeudi sur notre site, on en sait un peu plus sur les circonstances de ce contrôle. Selon Le Parisien, le contrôle aurait eu lieu lors des Masters, la dernière compétition disputée par la Française, fin septembre. Le site francetv info donne la date du 28 septembre et précise que le contrôle aurait été urinaire.

Quick translation by me:
24 hours after the publication of information about a positive test for cocaine by Laurine Lecavelier on our site, we know a bit more about the circumstances of this test. According to Le Parisien, the test would have taken place during the Masters, the last competition contended by the French (Laurine). The site francetv info gives the date as September 28th and specified that the test would have been a urine test.

You can decide whether or not you believe the sources for yourself. I don't know the various media outlets well enough to judge.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, my mistake; I misread the link and thought it was one leading to a previous article that did state she had been tested at the Masters but did not state that she had failed that test, and so didn't click through to read. Sorry for being sloppy. (It's 8am here and also my country is literally dying in a fire, can I be excused a little sloppiness in a thread that's been something of a trash fire of its own?)

I am very disappointed to learn that it was a test in competition. Under those circumstances, she's not just hurting herself but also her competitors and teammates. :( Extremely poor form.

Of course understandable. So distressed and sad for our friends in Australia:sad21:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did I miss that cocaine is legal in France?

Frankly, I have no idea.

And you are saying this in a thread about testing conducted pursuant to a sport's governance, rather than a story about criminal activity, because?:confused:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Because someone earlier in the thread mentioned it is not banned outside competition, and I was confused. I thought it is not allowed (illegal) anywhere.
Frankly, I have no idea.

And you are saying this in a thread about testing conducted pursuant to a sport's governance, rather than a story about criminal activity, because?:confused:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because someone earlier in the thread mentioned it is not banned outside competition, and I was confused. I thought it is not allowed (illegal) anywhere.

OK, I understand now, thanks.

I think they were talking about the difference in penalties from the sports governing body, and not outside law enforcement. I was not aware of that difference myself until reading these articles.

pesto

On the Ice

WADA and national anti-doping bodies for sport are not concerned with legality. Many legal drugs are banned in sports.

Cocaine comes under WADA Section 6 - stimulants, banned in competition:

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited/prohibited-in-competition/stimulants

Many drugs are prohibited at all times for sportspeople, and indeed, are used to greatest effect out-of-competition, hence the need for random tests:

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/content/what-is-prohibited/prohibited-at-all-times

noskates

Record Breaker
Nothing like being tried, convicted and hanged on a skating message board - when all the facts aren't in!!! So many lawyers, so many judges.....:noshake:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nothing like being tried, convicted and hanged on a skating message board - when all the facts aren't in!!! So many lawyers, so many judges.....:noshake:

Agreed. And I still don’t even understand it. Yeah I know cocaine can be a stimulant and all, but if I were going to fragrantly break the rules I’d use something that would be better than that (what I don’t know. But surely there’s something more effective than cocaine.)