Pray for Australia | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pray for Australia

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Based on what did you draw such conclusions? Offend without any justification - a sign of marginality, a person of low level of development.

Because you came into a thread where people are grieving for a disaster that is continuing - will continue yet for months - and has uncounted cost in life, both animal and human. Yes, we know how many humans have died, but how many more will suffer? How many will suffer health affects from the smoke, the heat; how many of the brave firefighters will suffer long-term consequences of continuing the fight, day after day, until they are beyond exhaustion? And you came in here with your faux-moral superiority and your know-it-all attitude to tell us we should not mourn and grieve? How you dare!

Do I need to explain that large forest fires are a commonplace thing that only in the last million years in Australia there were tens, even hundreds of thousands?

Oh, god, you're one of those. Yes, Australia catches fire a lot. Occupational hazard, one might say. But not like this. Never before like this. Never before on this scale with this much devastation. Never before for such a prolonged period. Never before to the point that the only thing that will save us is the rain that probably will not come until April.

If you're here to argue some faux-moral superiority garbage, you can just get out until you learn some empathy - and that may be a long wait for all.

Orlov

Medalist
Because you came into a thread where people are grieving for a disaster that is continuing - will continue yet for months - and has uncounted cost in life, both animal and human. Yes, we know how many humans have died, but how many more will suffer? How many will suffer health affects from the smoke, the heat; how many of the brave firefighters will suffer long-term consequences of continuing the fight, day after day, until they are beyond exhaustion? And you came in here with your faux-moral superiority and your know-it-all attitude to tell us we should not mourn and grieve? How you dare!

Who told you I don't feel sorry for human? My main position is that it strange, and even unpleasant in some ways to me (and certainly I consider them unnatural) phrases like "and has uncounted cost in life, both animal and human"

I feel sorry for people and their property, and pets (because when a person lets them into his heart they become part of the world of people). Сompassion can only be in the human world. Period.

(but even about pets I would not write such unnatural phrases life pets and human")

Oh, god, you're one of those. Yes, Australia catches fire a lot. Occupational hazard, one might say. But not like this. Never before like this. Never before on this scale with this much devastation. Never before for such a prolonged period.

How long exactly? A million years? Can you prove it?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Orlov..Please consider that for Karne and other Australians this is a not just a political issue but a personal tragedy. You need to have compassion for what Australia has lost and will lose in the future. The world is a lesser place for what has happened.

May I extend my sympathies to all our Aussie board users. Know that here in Canada many feel your pain and we share your fear as fire season here leaves us in dread for our west in particular. Just as Australian fire fighters came here to help us I know our government offered our help.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
There's this Google Chrome add-on called Tab for a Cause that allows you to donate hearts generated from each new tab to charity (I think one cent US for each), and they have an option to donate to help with the fires.

Australian Bushfire Emergency
The fires in Australia are devastating – and the crisis is still ongoing.

More than 10 million hectares have been burnt, and this number continues to climb. That’s the equivalent of 40% of the entire United Kingdom. Lives, homes, and up to one billion animals have been affected.

To help, we will be supporting the efforts of the Australian Red Cross and the World Wildlife Foundation. All hearts donated will be split 50/50 between the organizations. Thanks!

6.2M Hearts donated
Goal: 6M
8d 18h 7m 37s remaining

I think it just started today, and they're already over the goal with 8 days to go. :)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just a small update for those who appreciate the vagaries of meteorology - while there are still fires burning in far too many places, quite a bit of the south-east has had a lot of rain, Queensland has flash-flooding in some parts and Canberra got just hit with the traditional 'golf-ball sized' hailstones (why are they never snooker-ball sized or suchlike?). Utterly bizarre.

This isn't unalloyed great news - it's helping with put some fires out, and combating the smoke/air quality issues, but it's also driving tonnes of ash and fire debris into the already stressed river systems, turning the water to slurry and causing massive fish kills as what water is left gets deoxygenated, and that damage will continue downstream for some considerable way, of course. But everything that helps with the fires, helps.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a small update for those who appreciate the vagaries of meteorology - while there are still fires burning in far too many places, quite a bit of the south-east has had a lot of rain, Queensland has flash-flooding in some parts and Canberra got just hit with the traditional 'golf-ball sized' hailstones (why are they never snooker-ball sized or suchlike?). Utterly bizarre.

This isn't unalloyed great news - it's helping with put some fires out, and combating the smoke/air quality issues, but it's also driving tonnes of ash and fire debris into the already stressed river systems, turning the water to slurry and causing massive fish kills as what water is left gets deoxygenated, and that damage will continue downstream for some considerable way, of course. But everything that helps with the fires, helps.

Keep us updated. We are all praying for Australia. :pray:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It's also causing masses of damage. In Canberra alone, for example, they're expecting the damage bill from yesterday to be in the hundreds of thousands, if not over a million. Barely any car that was outside at the time was left unscathed and many had their windscreens and windows destroyed as well as the damage to the rest of the car. Powerlines went down across a wide swathe of the city and windows and skylights on buildings were smashed. It was chaos.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Prayers from the Spokane Air Attack Base and the Stead Field Air attack base. " ...So that others (people and animals) might live" Some are now saying the koala could be near extinction in the wild by 2050.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Stead Air Attack base FB page added this post from the NSW Rural Fire Service.
Coulson is back in the air with 2ea 737s, fighting the fires and providing air support for those heros on the ground.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
These posts are painful to read... my heart and thoughts are with Australia every day
Saw this article from npr recently; not sure what to think about it .. are changes in land management in order? Don't know.. Remember living in the midwestern (dustbowl) USA as a child where controlled burns were practiced by old-timer farmers... burn, plow under, replant..
My heart breaks, not only for the American firefighters who lost their lives, but for all those in Australia who have suffered immeasurable loss in life, home, property, landscape, wildlife.. Lord please let it end soon...

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/11/7952...ls-warn-fires-show-deep-problems-in-australia

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
These posts are painful to read... my heart and thoughts are with Australia every day
Saw this article from npr recently; not sure what to think about it .. are changes in land management in order? Don't know.. Remember living in the midwestern (dustbowl) USA as a child where controlled burns were practiced by old-timer farmers... burn, plow under, replant..
My heart breaks, not only for the American firefighters who lost their lives, but for all those in Australia who have suffered immeasurable loss in life, home, property, landscape, wildlife.. Lord please let it end soon...

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/11/7952...ls-warn-fires-show-deep-problems-in-australia

I dont think anyone has the answers. Even when there were few people, there was dramatic climate change though the history of the earth...ages of mass extinction, even....movement of continents...volcanos. Ice ages.. Somehow, I would feel better if this were a cycle not caused by man's insanities, but I dont know why....I see suffering animals and death and I feel for them.... :(

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I dont think anyone has the answers. Even when there were few people, there was dramatic climate change though the history of the earth...ages of mass extinction, even....movement of continents...volcanos. Ice ages.. Somehow, I would feel better if this were a cycle not caused by man's insanities, but I dont know why....I see suffering animals and death and I feel for them.... :(

Thanks CC... can't help but think that one method isn't particularly better than another at this late stage..... perhaps it is Gaia's grand design beyond the comprehension of mere mortals... Prayers indeed for that beautiful land, its creatures and those that live there