Orleans Arena in Las Vegas to host 2020 Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Orleans Arena in Las Vegas to host 2020 Skate America

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I would :love: for Skate America to return to the mid-Atlantic region, I am grateful that Nationals is back on the East Coast in Greensboro this month. We have been fortunate to have SA in Reading, PA twice (2003, 2007) & in Atlantic City, NJ (2005). It sounds like Las Vegas is a great destination for SA for many others.

Coyote Chris, have a wonderful time in Panama (we'll miss you @ Nationals)!

Roo87

Medalist
I live on the east coast of Canada. It's cheaper for me to fly to Vegas and get a hotel there than it is for me to go to Boston, this is why they made a great decision. You can do Vegas very cheap if you look hard enough.

rhettrhett

Rinkside
I’m thrilled. I live in Tennessee but Vegas is so easy to get to. I went for 2019 and had a great time and enjoyed the city too. I’ll do my best to return.

b-man

Final Flight
So, for 2020-21 season, everything on west coast. SA in Vegas, Nationals in San Jose. From Midwest, i'll do one, but not both.

micromegas

Rinkside
I'm delighted! I'm from the UK and I attended this in 2019. I got a great seat at a great price and the hotel did special prices for the competition days. It was a great success and I'm very tempted to go again!!!!

You should definitely go gurrrrl!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Vegas is a long-ish drive, but do-able. San Jose is only four hours away and I could take the train. I think I'm going to reserve a room for both events and hope for the best. SkAm would be my first international competition.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Would I love SkateAmerica in my backyard, mid-Atlantic states USA? yes.

Will I go if it’s in Vegas? Doubtful. Would I vacation in Vegas? No, but lots and lots and lots of people do.

Do I blame USFS? Not at all. When I’m not being selfish, this is a perfect spot. Actually some possibility of attracting that beloved “casual fan”. Something for the diehard fan’s companions to do. Plane access from just about anywhere.

I actually think they made the right decision :)
The USFS events chairman, Bob, doesn't have an easy job. But when lots of fans and skaters rave about a place and the venue is so happy they bid high, his job becomes much easier. If someone gave Mr. Hanyu $100,000 to show up, well, you didn't hear it from ME. [emoji83]

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
While I would :love: for Skate America to return to the mid-Atlantic region, I am grateful that Nationals is back on the East Coast in Greensboro this month. We have been fortunate to have SA in Reading, PA twice (2003, 2007) & in Atlantic City, NJ (2005). It sounds like Las Vegas is a great destination for SA for many others.

Coyote Chris, have a wonderful time in Panama (we'll miss you @ Nationals)!
[emoji83]

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFS events chairman, Bob, doesn't have an easy job. But when lots of fans and skaters rave about a place and the venue is so happy they bid high, his job becomes much easier. If someone gave Mr. Hanyu $100,000 to show up, well, you didn't hear it from ME. [emoji83]

I was thrilled with Nationals in Detroit. Probably should have told them.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Vegas is a perfect location. I think it might be good for the popularity of figure skating if it takes at the same location every year.

skatefan17

On the Ice
Hooray! Looks like I will be going to Skate America back to back! It was so much fun and at a great venue.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vegas is a perfect location. I think it might be good for the popularity of figure skating if it takes at the same location every year.

I think people will be more likely to go to their first event if it is close. But I could be wrong.

Kelly Lynn

Rinkside
Vegas worked for my little group. Our only complaint was the temperature in the rink which was exceptionally chill. Will bring the longies this year.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I see I'm clearly in the minority, but I have to say I am not happy with this decision. I was so lucky when it was in the Midwest and I went to Skate America three years in a row. Now it's just too far away. Plus Las Vegas has absolutely no appeal to me. It just seems like a seedy, smoky, unhealthy place. Yuck.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I guess it's good for FS popularity overall. I am personally not too thrilled eventhough I'm not from the US. On TV, the Vegas GP just felt too tacky to me, more like a show than an actual competition, and I didn't like the chatting / sensational - circus style - booming voice announcers. JMO.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I was thrilled with Nationals in Detroit. Probably should have told them.

If this Bob fellow is the one who chooses competition locations, perhaps those of you who have his ear might suggest that the US Classic be moved out of its high-altitude location—also in the West—to some nice flat place in the East or Midwest. I’d see that as a win-win. The skaters would no longer have to gasp for breath, and those of us who do not live in the West would be able to see some high level international skating!

RobinA

On the Ice
For people who went last year, how do you get around once there? The arena seems a bit out there and I'm thinking I don't want to be walking back to a hotel at night. Parking in LV is highway robbery, even though car rental is pretty cheap.