Skating star swindled | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating star swindled

Amei

Record Breaker
And what exactly is so funny?

I think the article it was written as more of a dig at Sotnikova, because for years there's been this 'getting ready to compete' dog and pony show from her/her camp but outside 1 competition since she won the Olympics, she's been absent from any real serious domestic or international competition in lieu of show-business.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Come on guys, some of the posts in this thread need to stop it with the victim blaming. Adelina was taken advantage of by a group of scam artists, two whom have now been arrested and charged with a crime, with the third individual placed on a “most wanted crininals” list.

Just because something seems like it’s “common sense” to you, does not make it so for everyone else. Likewise for naivety. Neither are objective.

Victim blaming, even when it’s covert and not glaringly obvious, marginalizes the survivor, takes attention away from the actual criminal, minimizes the criminal act, and makes others less likely to come forward and report what has happened to them in similar situations, out of shame, embarrassment, fear, etc.

I hope Adelina gets justice against these scummy individuals.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Come on guys, some of the posts in this thread need to stop it with the victim blaming. Adelina was taken advantage of by a group of scam artists, two whom have now been arrested and charged with a crime, with the third person involved on a most wanted list.

Just because something seems like it’s “common sense” to you, does not make it so for everyone else. Likewise for naivety. Neither are objective.

Victim blaming, even when it’s covert and not glaringly obvious, marginalizes the survivor, takes attention away from the actual criminal, minimizes the criminal act, and makes others less likely to come forward and report what has happened to them in similar situations, out of shame, embarrassment, fear, etc.

I hope Adelina gets justice against these scummy individuals.

Thank you Sarah. Being a victim of fraud is something you never get over. I got victimized too to about the same amount of money as Adelina. I have never recouped that money and it still haunts me yeears later. I only wish Adelina had someone to talk to about her dealings with the fortune tellers. I do hope these criminals do real time and have shamed their families. Its not right just for the victims to feel shame. It jut terrible.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Sarah. Being a victim of fraud is something you never get over. I got victimized too to about the same amount of money as Adelina. I have never recouped that money and it still haunts me yeears later. I only wish Adelina had someone to talk to about her dealings with the fortune tellers. I do hope these criminals do real time and have shamed their families. Its not right just for the victims to feel shame. It jut terrible.

:ghug: I’m sorry this happened to you.

Anyone can fall victim to persons of bad intent. I join with others hoping Adelina finds justice and peace.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I feel really sorry for Adelina. I'm sure she just wanted to help (boyfriend issues or otherwise), and these people make it so easy to believe them. I was more lucky years ago when someone warned me in time. Obviously nobody will believe a fortune teller, that's just it. These people won't have positioned themselves as fortune tellers but as psychics. So much more believeable, and of course working on trust. I hope these criminals get their comeuppance. It's not a question of believing in hocus pocus, but being made use of when you're vulnerable. Or even just without knowledge. So many people willing you to believe such charlatans. I presume the campaigns against vaccination are known overall? But still well-educated and world-wise people fall for them. Causing insufferable harm among the populations as a whole.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
After what? Going to a fortune teller with a crystal ball? Mirror mirror on the wall.... ? Or Aveda Kadavra?
Are you sorry Hocus Pocus didn't work?

You should hope someone never scams you. Scams come in all shades. Love can often make one do terribly dumb things.

wombatch

Spectator
it's easy to see in hindsight and to wonder how stupid you'd have to be to fall for such scams... but these people are pros and prey on the vulnerabilities of others. If you read similar accounts of victims who lost tens of thousands of dollars, these scammers set up a very abusive, cult-like relationship and exploit it. It seems ridiculous from the outside, but taking advantage of someone's emotional state is not so difficult to do. Poor thing.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Paying money to fortune telling is already a sign of an extreme foolishness, scammers or not. So if you decide to pay anyway then don't expect others to feel sorry for you.

Totally disagree.

Someone who is vulnerable and highly impressionable can easily fall for something like this, probably because they really want help and aren't thinking straight.

Blame the scammer, not the victim.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
And what exactly is so funny?
I would love to see her back, then we would at least see some real skating. Sick and tired of tiny robots
I love the "tiny robots" and I think they make ladies figure skating much more interesting

Scott512

Record Breaker
:ghug: I’m sorry this happened to you.

Anyone can fall victim to persons of bad intent. I join with others hoping Adelina finds justice and peace.
Thank you. being a victim of fraud is a shame that never really goes away.
it's easy to see in hindsight and to wonder how stupid you'd have to be to fall for such scams... but these people are pros and prey on the vulnerabilities of others. If you read similar accounts of victims who lost tens of thousands of dollars, these scammers set up a very abusive, cult-like relationship and exploit it. It seems ridiculous from the outside, but taking advantage of someone's emotional state is not so difficult to do. Poor thing.

All true. Sad but true.